Switching Between Resort Boots & Touring Boots

Sorry, posted this is the wrong spot… gonna try this again…

I’m planning to purchase a burly pow ski, something along the lines of an ON3P BG or a Moment Wildcat, and want to throw some CASTS on there so I can do some light (well… heavy) touring on them. I have two boots: the Atomic Hawx Ultra S for resort and Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD for touring. Of course the BSL on these is different by a couple millimeters. I’d love to be able to ride my resort Hawx on resort days and the touring Hawx on tour days, but I’m wondering what kind of binding adjustments would need to be made and if it’s even worth swapping. I’m trying to decide if I’m better off just sending my resort Hawx to CAST to get some tech inserts drilled.

Anyone else ever have this predicament? What did you decide to do? Are there any options other than CAST that would allow me have a no-hassle swap between touring and resort boots?

You would need to adjust forward pressure on the pivot heels every time you swapped back and forth, which is a PITA IMO.

Also because the soles are different, you almost certainly would need to have different toe AFDs (someone step in here if im wrong).

I'd ask yourself how often you're really going to be swapping back and forth between the setups. If its a couple of times - might be better off looking at a Duke PT. If its more than a couple of times, probably better off with two different setups: Bibby with Pivots, Bibby Tour with Voyages
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    You would need to adjust forward pressure on the pivot heels every time you swapped back and forth, which is a PITA IMO.

Also because the soles are different, you almost certainly would need to have different toe AFDs (someone step in here if im wrong).

I'd ask yourself how often you're really going to be swapping back and forth between the setups. If its a couple of times - might be better off looking at a Duke PT. If its more than a couple of times, probably better off with two different setups: Bibby with Pivots, Bibby Tour with Voyages

you are correct. If the soles are different, the afds will have to be changed, unless you have WTR clamps and are running a din sole and a 9523 sole on your touring boots. In general I completely agree and there’s zero chance I’d want to readjust pivots every time I ski.

OP, buy two skis. Or just ski that setup with your touring boot and cast. That boot is plenty to drive both of those skis.

Unofficially pivot heels are very forgiving. WSTDeep’s boots are 315mm, mine are 301, and we have been know to swap skis with out adjusting the heels. Now this was mainly due to I like my Pivot heels looser then what’s probably recommended, and he likes his a bit tight.

My touring boots have a 306 bsl and my inbounds boots are 301. I don’t adjust the CAST heels forward pressure switching between the two boots.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Unofficially pivot heels are very forgiving. WSTDeep’s boots are 315mm, mine are 301, and we have been know to swap skis with out adjusting the heels. Now this was mainly due to I like my Pivot heels looser then what’s probably recommended, and he likes his a bit tight.

My touring boots have a 306 bsl and my inbounds boots are 301. I don’t adjust the CAST heels forward pressure switching between the two boots.

Wow, no shit!! I’ve never gone the Pivot route. But that would not fly at all with STH/STH2/Griffons/Jesters/etc

A 14mm BSL difference??

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Wow, no shit!! I’ve never gone the Pivot route. But that would not fly at all with STH/STH2/Griffons/Jesters/etc

A 14mm BSL difference??

ya. That’s shit luck. It’s fine as long as the snow is smooth and you don’t ski aggressively.

I used to have a 305 or 305bsl so it was easier then. Pivots have a LOT of play in the heel.

Probably not advisable haha

Both those boots should have GW soles unless you have the original XTD with WTR soles. WTR isn’t cross compatible with anything. When Look sells the Pivot the GW AFD accommodates Alpine soles. I’m not sure why CAST sells them as separate products. They should be the same height. But do your boots even have different soles? They are most likely both GW.

As for adjusting for the BSL, I wouldn’t even worry about the 2mm difference. The Pivot doesn’t get set up that accurately to even worry. If you did want to adjust it, it would likely be one click in the heel. Very easy to turn four screws one click each when you want to switch.

^^This is the correct answer.

GripWalk AFD solves the sole issue.

I would check the forward pressure with both sets of boots. If it seems fine, don't worry about it. If it's not exactly the same, set it somewhere in the middle and see if you're happy with it forget. I would be surprised if 2mm was noticeable, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the actual difference in bsl was bigger than 2mm. I'm not even sure both boots are accurate to 2mm.

If the boots do require a substantial difference in foward pressure, just remember that it's 1/2 turn or whatever on each screw, and do it each time you swap boots. But again, that seems pretty dang unlikely to me.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I'm in this situation and for 28.5 boots, the Ultra S is 320mm BSL and the Ultra XTD is 322mm BSL so I'm using both boots in my CASTed setups without issue.

Cast GripWalk AFDs are not compatible with standard Din Soles

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Touring
    GripWalk ISO 23223 AFDs will fit all boots with GripWalk soles. Due to the limited overlap between Alpine and GripWalk geometry, we chose to design these AFDs to create maximum energy transfer and more consistent function specifically for the GripWalk norm, as a result, they will not work with Alpine boots.
    BSL difference between your two boots isn't enough to need messing with the forward pressure on the Pivot. I would just go on the tighter side of the bigger boot and call it good assuming they are both GripWalk.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025