Instagram avy experts

I get all kinds of stuff showing up in my feed.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cldds...d=Nzg3NjI1NGI=

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B6328A4-9ECA-4CEE-9260-6A65448DE4BA.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	359.2 KB 
ID:	436160

Lol, I can’t say anything about the video, but the caption is spot on IMO. It’s like teaching abstinence.

I've never been a fan of avalanche instructors who teach pure avoidance. I don't need 3 days to teach that. I can do that in 3 hours or less. But it is still a thing in the industry.

It is also true that many people who show up to Level 1 do NOT belong in avalanche terrain because they either lack the snow travel skills or they quickly learn they lack the desire to entertain risk.

My assumption is still that if you take an avalanche course, it is usually because you think at some point that you intend to go into avalanche terrain. A good avalanche course can impart respect, knowledge, observation skills, travel/communication/group techniques, decision making processes, risk management perspectives, and checklists/habits to support these goals. If that is accomplished in the course, then I am preparing you to make the better choices about if/when/how to go into avalanche terrain or not. If the students and conditions are appropriate, taking a class into avalanche terrain can be appropriate in even a Level 1. I consider it ideal state, but managing risk is different in field courses than it is in recreation.

I think that guide and I would agree on the above. That said, the attitude communicated in his Insta comes across as something along the lines of arrogance... perhaps that is his marketing schtick.

His vid is not the example to set, recognizing fully the lack of context, but really? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.