Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I'm not Hemingway. I admired his work though.
    pardon didn't mean to start throwing blind accusations around this morning

"whats the difference between a washing machine and a chick?" "a washing machine doesn't follow you around after you drop your load in it"

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    pardon didn't mean to start throwing blind accusations around this morning

"whats the difference between a washing machine and a chick?" "a washing machine doesn't follow you around after you drop your load in it"
    Man... I'm a stay at home dad / washing machine... that was triggering... lol.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    But only standing by the work for 90 days, and the outright lying makes me want to give them zero more $$$ ever and buy something from someone that will stand by it with a real warranty.
    Buy from Costco. 2-year service, and you can buy longer on top of that. My mantra has been that Costco doesn't sell crap because their return policy that they force onto vendors doesn't allow it.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Buy from Costco. 2-year service, and you can buy longer on top of that. My mantra has been that Costco doesn't sell crap because their return policy that they force onto vendors doesn't allow it.
    Buying on the Costco Visa card also automatically doubles all warranties to 4 years.

I've personally had pretty good luck with Samsung appliances, and I lean that way when I buy, but really they're all about the same. I've had easy 15 dollar repairs, and I've just RAR'd some because I didn't want to fuck with it just depends on the day.

Just a few days ago ordered an new dryer, then decided to let the appliance repair guy have a crack at it, he had me going same day for a $400 savings, may try something like that?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Are all appliance manufacturers the same extorting douchebags...

Our washer and dryer are from the late 90’s. Most recently replaced the top lid switch on the washer (and took the opportunity to clean the basin and a few other things). Hope to keep them running as long as possible - not fancy but they get the job done. Old Kenmore (Sears?) brand.

The dishwasher is a cheap Frigidaire about 15yo. Actually it is a mesh of two as the first had it’s pump die, and there was an identical one for sale locally that I borged together. That was about 8yrs ago. It’s loud but also gets the job done. No idea what we’ll purchase when it craps the bed, but it’s a simple machine without advanced electronics and easily available parts so maybe it will live on long time?

Oh, and the nearest repair tech for any standard household appliance is 120km away, so a service call is not in the cards, warranty or no. Any warranty service would likely entail taking said boat anchor into the city for repair.

Reading the OP’s story and that it is all too common really sucks. You would think consumer sentiment and the like would have the market self correct or some such. Need to get medieval on the major appliance company CEO’s.

Yup I keep 2 sets of appliances running in my duplex, 25yr old appliances are pretty easy to fix probably cuz they aren't very smart and its almost never the electronics that fucks up its something you can macgyver together or just order a cheap part

There is a local parts out fit but Amazon is good for parts

for repair info there is all kinds of DIY web sites on line

the cheaper models are easier to fix than the dentist grade models
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    That's a fucking great idea... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Yup I keep 2 sets of appliances running in my duplex, 25yr old appliances are pretty easy to fix probably cuz they aren't very smart and its almost never the electronics that fucks up its something you can macgyver together or just order a cheap part

There is a local parts out fit but Amazon is good for parts

for repair info there is all kinds of DIY web sites on line

the cheaper models are easier to fix than the dentist grade models
    Yeah our kitchen isn't even nice... I probably should have just tried to fix the old beater.

Live and learn.

But I still need to decide what to do now.

Or go with the German appliances Brands. I was not exactly joking.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I have purchased cheap and expensive and it's all a lottery when something might go bad. $279 including parts doesn't seem too bad and the CS rep you spoke to doesn't know shit about actually fixing anything , they're just going off a script JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER mfg these days. Keep in mind heating elements are a relatively simple device and very rarely fail, chances are a bad connection or a faulty relay/board would be my guess. Unless you want to try to find a manual somewhere( if it's a newer unit good luck) and try to diagnose the DW I would just pay the $279.
    What's the model ?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I would talk to the local appliance repair company. My brother repairs appliances. He actually says LG is the best of the non-high end appliances. Most reliable and easiest for him to work on and get parts.
    My local parts house has almost no LG parts. Red flag #1.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Buying on the Costco Visa card also automatically doubles all warranties to 4 years.
    really! I had no idea, thanks! Is that across the board (pc, tv etc) or just appliances?

Holy shit I might have made some progress!

I called LG again and said that if they admit the part is under warranty then send me the part. They said it has to be installed by a technician and I said billshit... I just want them to send it to me and I will try to fix it myself or throw it in the garbage and I refuse to pay them to work on it.

They gave me a new case number and a link to send the bill of sale and they SAY they will send me the part. We will see.

And this was not given as an option until the 3rd call when I called bullshit on their policy used some pretty direct language.

Will update if I get the part.

Last edited by Shorty_J; 12-01-2022 at 02:32 PM.

OP - I just recently went through this *exact* thing with my Electrolux dishwasher. The washer had been cleaning for shit for actually quite some time... I managed it by running the sink until the water was hot as it was going to be before starting the washer. Still washed for shit.

So I had the repair guy out. He gave me the bad news that the pump/heater combo was going to cost over 1/2 the price of a new unit. And the part *was* $250-ish bucks. The biggest PITA was removing and then reinstalling the washer. The pump replacement was easy.

I'd say take the $279 offer and get on with your life. I would have done that if it had been available to me... I couldn't stomach paying $650 to have it done, though.

I seem to recall that this benefit is going the way of the dodo in '23... can anyone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I have purchased cheap and expensive and it's all a lottery when something might go bad. $279 including parts doesn't seem too bad and the CS rep you spoke to doesn't know shit about actually fixing anything , they're just going off a script JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER mfg these days. Keep in mind heating elements are a relatively simple device and very rarely fail, chances are a bad connection or a faulty relay/board would be my guess. Unless you want to try to find a manual somewhere( if it's a newer unit good luck) and try to diagnose the DW I would just pay the $279.
    What's the model ?
    The heating element is built into the pump assembly in this case and that part is (not coincidentally) the exact same price as paying LG to fix it under warranty. It's legitimized extortion.

If it was just a heating element like a lot of other brands it would by a $60 part and I would do it myself but that is not an option here... by design.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    OP - I just recently went through this *exact* thing with my Electrolux dishwasher. The washer had been cleaning for shit for actually quite some time... I managed it by running the sink until the water was hot as it was going to be before starting the washer. Still washed for shit.

So I had the repair guy out. He gave me the bad news that the pump/heater combo was going to cost over 1/2 the price of a new unit. And the part *was* $250-ish bucks. The biggest PITA was removing and then reinstalling the washer. The pump replacement was easy.

I'd say take the $279 offer and get on with your life. I would have done that if it had been available to me... I couldn't stomach paying $650 to have it done, though.

I seem to recall that this benefit is going the way of the dodo in '23... can anyone confirm?
    I will ask all these questions if I fail to fix it myself and need to buy a new one... but see above... I might actually be getting the part for free.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    really! I had no idea, thanks! Is that across the board (pc, tv etc) or just appliances?
    Covers all products that come with a manufacturer's warranty: https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Pr...-Warranty.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Appears that it is: https://clark.com/credit-cards/citi-...nded-warranty/

Will still apply to all purchases made before Jan. 22, 2023, and Citi seems to be hinting that it will be replaced with another benefit, though maybe not a warranty-related benefit. The regular Costco 2-year warranty will continue to apply.

Covers all products that come with a manufacturer's warranty: https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Pr...-Warranty.aspx
    Related: https://thepointsguy.com/news/citi-c...nded-warranty/

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Or go with the German appliances Brands. I was not exactly joking.
    Frank Zappa had a song about carnal knowledge of german appliances and he never jokes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Frank Zappa had a song about carnal knowledge of german appliances and he never jokes
    OP is being plooked

As to Shorty’s original point, subtle plague isn’t wrong. Bosch actually makes dishwashers in the us (SC I think) and are probably better than most

The only brand I know of that designs for a 20 year life-span (and is vertically integrated so they make their own parts) is Miele. They’re not cheap but do have a stellar reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreljam View Post
    As to Shorty’s original point, subtle plague isn’t wrong. Bosch actually makes dishwashers in the us (SC I think) and are probably better than most

The only brand I know of that designs for a 20 year life-span (and is vertically integrated so they make their own parts) is Miele. They’re not cheap but do have a stellar reputation.
    Lots of 10,000+SF homes here with Miele inside. Never experienced a problem with them.

We should start a "Wrenchin...Adventures under the Countertop" thread.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreljam View Post
    And like I said, you can get into an "entry-level" Miele for within the same ballpark as a friggin Samsung at Lowe's. I would absolutely forgo the stupid built-in tablet, wifi functionality, and useless apps they're pushing at Lowe's for a basic Miele from my local mom & pop appliance shop, that I'll actually be able to service and keep around for hopefully more than a couple years. I always laugh when I see the display models of the fancy models at the big box stores and the screens are already totally bricked. Does not exactly inspire confidence when the floor model's already broken. LMAO