Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Are all appliance manufacturers the same extorting douchebags...

... or are some actually respectable?

My 1.5 year old LG washer threw an error code saying suggesting the heating element is shot... and that checks out as it doesn't wash as well and it's fully cold when the cycle finishes and nothing is dry.

So I call LG to ask if it's covered under warranty and they say no it's past warranty. They offer me a flat fee to fix it of $279 which includes diagnostics, parts, labour and a WHOPPING 90 days of coverage on the repair that they do. If I want to go that route I can book online at www.lgoutofwarranty.ca. Yes... they have a website devoted to how to deal with your product outside of warranty.... red flag. I can also go through a local repair person but I have to buy the part as well as labour. I ask for the part number of the heating element and they tell me "they don't have access to that information".... more on that later.

I start looking into if I can fix it myself. It looks like in some models the heater element is not a complicated repair. I start trying to source a part but nothing pops up with my model number. I call a parts dealer and tell him I'm looking for a heating element. He says "let me check the {build sheet} on that... one moment". I'm not sure if it was build sheet or whatever but I ask him where I can find that information because I've looked for it for a while on the WWW and can't find it and LG wouldn't even give me the part number when I call them. He says he has access to it but he's not allowed to share it. What? I’m not allowed to see the parts of the product I bought from you for $1100?

10 minutes later he comes back and says he can't find a heating element part for that model... it doesn't exist on its own. He also says sometimes the heating element is part of the pump assembly and do I want that part number? He doesn't have access to in the information to even tell me if this is the right part. I say sure, I get the part number and I do some searching. Guess how much this part costs online? $279... everywhere. I finally find one site that sells it that confirms that the heating element is inside this assembly and you can't buy it separately.

But wait… I remember that my dishwasher actually has 10 year coverage on the motor… I think I found a loophole! I call them back and say “if the heater is part of the pump assembly and the pump is covered for 10 years I should be covered right?” Yup… she admits I’m covered… for parts, not labour. And if I want to get it fixed now, the prices is… $279. Wait… you said I’m not covered by warranty at first but now you admit I am and the price is the same? She tells me I can still go through a local service company but I pay the rates and they will not pay for the part if someone else does it. WTF?!?! Free parts but only if I pay your extortion rates? And buying the part myself is the same price?
    I call them on not providing the part number when I asked for it and she says “that’s because this is not a simple repair and we recommend the work be done by a technician. Um…. That’s not what you said last week when you told me you “didn’t have access to the information”.

I’m going to ask them to send me just the part from free if it’s under warranty but I suspect they won’t do it because they offered the “service” of diagnosing the problem in that $279 (even though every important piece is in that one module, so you don’t really need a diagnosis. I suspect they will tell me I can’t even have the part until I paid to prove it’s broken… and that probably costs $279.

It seems like they have set up their company to extort people after they make a purchase… I actually wonder if that part of the business is possibly more profitable than the initial sale?

Anyway… are there companies that actually have good warranties and stand by them in appliances anymore? I honestly want to sell this one for whatever small amount I can get and then invest in a machine from a company that will actually back the product a little bit.

/end rant
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

The Maytag man retired. Welcome to the new world.

Name:  0EF53D14-C428-48AF-B79D-79062A1FBB89.jpeg
Views: 621
Size:  139.8 KB

Nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    LG
    I think I see your problem.

Not sure what you make per hour but have you considered the break even point and it’s relation to you giving a fuck about good and evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Not sure what you make per hour but have you considered the break even point and it’s relation to you giving a fuck about good and evil?
    I sure have but do you think what they asking is reasonable?

Also... I make nothing... I'm a stay at home dad... but that's not relevant to shitty business practices in my opinion.

I'm seriously considering selling it with full disclosure and buying something from someone who will back the product.

I.e. that's a decent part of my decision to buy a new NRS raft with a 10 year warranty of a Hyside with a 5 year warranty.

Incidtally... are you the same alias on mountain buzz?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I think I see your problem.
    I'm listening.

I'm admitting I made a mistake here and looking for how to improve it next time.

In the words of the eternal Big Steve…”low overhead and low expectations are key to a happy life”. But I get where you’re come by from.

Yes on the buzz. Buy a Maravia. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Name:  0EF53D14-C428-48AF-B79D-79062A1FBB89.jpeg
Views: 621
Size:  139.8 KB
    Dishes... JONG.

In the words of the eternal Big Steve…”low overhead and low expectations are key to a happy life”. But I get where you’re come by from.

Yes on the buzz. Buy a Maravia. ; )
    Well what I bought didn't seem cheap at the time.

I need to roll my boat for the winter so Maravia is out for me.

Speed queen?

Well what I bought didn't seem cheap at the time.

I need to roll my boat for the winter so Maravia is out for me.

Yeah. I’d get an NRS or Hyside for sure in that situation. Both great boats and I wouldn’t sweat the warranty on either. Plus no heating element and a lot more fun than a dishwasher.

Yeah. I’d get an NRS or Hyside for sure in that situation. Both great boats and I wouldn’t sweat the warranty on either. Plus no heating element and a lot more fun than a dishwasher.
    I think you just named my new boat...

"A lot more fun than a dishwasher"

You know NRS can offer that boat with a 10 year warranty because they knocked the design off. If you’re going for moral high ground you’d never buy anything NRS.

Speed Queen. Built in the USA. Most reliable washing machine made. Still make machines with agitators so your clothes actually get cleaned not just soaked in perfume.

Try posting about this on LG's social media, that's usually the way to get reasonable customer service when a company is jerking you around. The social media team often has powers the regular CS monkeys don't.

It sucks that you often have to go through that step, but it does frequently work.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    You know NRS can offer that boat with a 10 year warranty because they knocked the design off. If you’re going for moral high ground you’d never buy anything NRS.

Speed Queen. Built in the USA. Most reliable washing machine made. Still make machines with agitators so your clothes actually get cleaned not just soaked in perfume.
    Huh?

Thread drift but the NRS designs have been the same forever. If you want to tell me the quality is lower I'll listen but...

I will Look into speed queen.... haven't heard of them before but that's why I started this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Try posting about this on LG's social media, that's usually the way to get reasonable customer service when a company is jerking you around. The social media team often has powers the regular CS monkeys don't.

It sucks that you often have to go through that step, but it does frequently work.
    Yeah I'm not really on social media but I do have and IG profile. I joked with my wife about doing an office space beat-down of the dishwasher with a sledgehammer or something, and posting it to get a reaction... Maybe that's what needs to happen.

But I've been drinking so that's probably not the correct decision.

Deleted... because ...

Dishes... JONG.

I realized my original post wasn't obvious in the type of appliance... I am the JONG.

Huh?

Thread drift but the NRS designs have been the same forever. If you want to tell me the quality is lower I'll listen but...

I will Look into speed queen.... haven't heard of them before but that's why I started this thread.

speed Queen is what you find in the basement of an apartment building where you know the machines are going to be abused to no end.

May not have all the bells and whistles, but who really needs those?

I'd recommend fancy German machines to boost our economy.
    Siemens and Bosch win the Tests here all the time.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Broken Appliances You Say....
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

You could not use appliances.

That would show them.
    watch out for snakes

I would talk to the local appliance repair company. My brother repairs appliances. He actually says LG is the best of the non-high end appliances. Most reliable and easiest for him to work on and get parts.