Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    The issue is LG. They make it so expensive to repair their product that you might as well get a new one. I’ve gone through this several times with their refrigerators, especially, and other products as well. I’m slowly weaning my way off LG. Replaced the broke LG dishwasher with a KitchenAid. Will see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    The issue is LG. They make it so expensive to repair their product that you might as well get a new one.
    Sounds like LG is the Audi of the appliance world.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I used to ski with an appliance repair guy so i picked his brain on the chair ride, he said for M/C not washing very well first off the water has to be hot enough so the 1st thing he would do is run a glass of hot water & check it with thermometer for 40C , also make sure the soap hasnt been absorbing water under the sink and become useless, so the big pails of that shit from costco might not clean very well

I like to use those little dissolving soap pucks, yes it might be more expensive but it works

IME water under pressure breaks things so look for broken or split spray wands, i've also heard of a split spray wand causing leaks at the door seal

for the kitchenaid ( GE) which is a lot the appliances out there if dishes in the top rack aren't getting clean the water for the top wand runs up a plastic plenum at the back so look for holes in that piece to reduce water pressure, its easy to mcgyver a hole with ductape tape until you can get the part

door hinges quit staying open when the cord on the mechanism breaks, you can easily fix it with some 3mm braided cord you probably got kicking around in your outdoor gear

The door keeps popping open/ shutting off, i was just lodging a bar stool under the handle but I found it depends how you load it, too much heavy shit at the front somehow leans against the door enough to pop the door latch
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    really! I had no idea, thanks! Is that across the board (pc, tv etc) or just appliances?
    A lot of credit cards offer this but Citi is the best with 2 years of added warranty (for a max of 5 years on the product). Policies cover most items you'd by at a store; fine print details what's not covered (boats, services, used items, perishables, etc)

Name:  ext warranty.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  62.8 KB
    Mastercard does a 12month extension as well

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    These cards still have the 24mo extension:

Citi Premier ($95 annual fee)
    Citi Rewards+ (no annual fee)
    Citi Prestige ($495 annual fee)
    Citi / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
    American Airlines AAdvantage Mileup Card
    AT&T Access Card from Citi
    Citi ThankYou Preferred Card

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    A lot of credit cards offer this but Citi is the best with 2 years of added warranty (for a max of 5 years on the product). Policies cover most items you'd by at a store; fine print details what's not covered (boats, services, used items, perishables, etc)

Name:  ext warranty.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  62.8 KB
    Mastercard does a 12month extension as well
    Do all Mastercards do this?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Frank Zappa had a song about carnal knowledge of german appliances and he never jokes
    The XQJ-37 Nuclear Powered Pan-Sexual Roto-Plooker was not just any German appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Our washer and dryer are from the late 90’s. Most recently replaced the top lid switch on the washer (and took the opportunity to clean the basin and a few other things). Hope to keep them running as long as possible - not fancy but they get the job done. Old Kenmore (Sears?) brand.

The dishwasher is a cheap Frigidaire about 15yo. Actually it is a mesh of two as the first had it’s pump die, and there was an identical one for sale locally that I borged together. That was about 8yrs ago. It’s loud but also gets the job done. No idea what we’ll purchase when it craps the bed, but it’s a simple machine without advanced electronics and easily available parts so maybe it will live on long time?

Oh, and the nearest repair tech for any standard household appliance is 120km away, so a service call is not in the cards, warranty or no. Any warranty service would likely entail taking said boat anchor into the city for repair.

Reading the OP’s story and that it is all too common really sucks. You would think consumer sentiment and the like would have the market self correct or some such. Need to get medieval on the major appliance company CEO’s.
    Kenmore is Whirlpool.

Our Kenmore (Whirlpool) washer from 1997 finally blew up so we went out and bought all new whirlpool appliances. Everything else was 19 years old.

We kept the 1997 Whirlpool dryer and our ugly fridge from 2003.

Unfortunately our new stove, dishwasher, washer and microwave are all top end models because (wife) but getting parts for my old Whirlpool appliances was always a breeze, so we went with them again. They seem to have an entire parts infrastructure.

Ymmv.

I do like our new top end Whirlpool dishwasher. Otherwise meh. Would have kept the old stuff till it blew if I had the choice.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

All new(ish) appliances up in here and I’ve had anything older than two years open at least once. I still think new appliances are worth it for the quiet, efficiency, and IME general betterness. The cost is accepting repairs as a part of ownership, or maybe owning appliances from brands that are more expensive, don’t match, or don’t have the all the features you want.

Our next DW and probably washer/dryer will be Bosch. They have downsides, and if something does break, parts are expensive and can be harder to come by, but I believe they’re better built and generally more reliable enough to be worth it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Our dishwasher at our old house was a Bosch, we probably had it for 12 or 13 years and only had one service call. That one was because an O-ring crumbled and got stuck in the internal plumbing, not Bosch's fault.

We had a Bosch DW and I wasn't a fan ( I forget why, but I think it was a few issues). We replaced it with a Maytag that cost about $750 (4 years ago) and the Maytag so far is a better DW. Very quiet and cleans incredibly well.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Begrudgingly agreed Bagtagly.

Our new washer sounds like a very quiet B787, has a removable agitator, and we loaded a sleeping bag cleaning cycle into its soon to die motherboard via wifi. It is also absolutely huge.

I had no idea. I felt like the old senile guy that wanted to invite all the neighbors over to show it off. The first few cycles were mesmerizing. It is awesome, but it maybe lasts a decade vs the 25 years my old one did.

I suppose old phones lasted 25 years also. But nobody cared and now we buy $1000 phones that last 2 years and we don't even talk on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Huh?

Thread drift but the NRS designs have been the same forever. If you want to tell me the quality is lower I'll listen but...

I will Look into speed queen.... haven't heard of them before but that's why I started this thread.

They may have ripped it off 15 years ago, but they ripped it off.

Do all Mastercards do this?

No, not every card, but a lot. It's up to the bank issuer to include the benefit

Holy shit I might have made some progress!

I called LG again and said that if they admit the part is under warranty then send me the part. They said it has to be installed by a technician and I said billshit... I just want them to send it to me and I will try to fix it myself or throw it in the garbage and I refuse to pay them to work on it.

They gave me a new case number and a link to send the bill of sale and they SAY they will send me the part. We will see.

And this was not given as an option until the 3rd call when I called bullshit on their policy used some pretty direct language.

Will update if I get the part.

Nope... no part.

It's been a couple of weeks so I call to follow up and they tell me they can only have a licensed technician install it even though the part is under warranty.

So the last person completely lied to me and I sent my copy of my invoice in for what reason? If the cost to fix it is the same under warranty as not, it doesn't matter at all for them to have my receipt.

Fucking assholes.

I doubt anything will come of this but I sent this story to CBC marketplace. Maybe if others are complaining something will happen? Probably not.

I don't think I can bring myself to pay this extortion fee to have it fixed... I think I'd rather sell it will full disclosure of the problem for whatever I can get for it and get something else. Maybe someone who is an appliance guy can fix it and flip it? Who knows.

That sucks. If you can find a guy to fix it and flip it and the part is free maybe fix it and keep it? Cheaper than buying a new one.

Sometimes, the only thing we can control when getting screwed is how hard we let them screw us.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    That sucks. If you can find a guy to fix it and flip it and the part is free maybe fix it and keep it? Cheaper than buying a new one.

Sometimes, the only thing we can control when getting screwed is how hard we let them screw us.
    Can you list MFG and Model with code ? Lot of sleuthy MF'ers on here that can try to help you crack the parts dilemma. Looks like Ebay has used LG dishwasher pumps with heating elements built in for about $60.
    Last edited by fatnslow; 12-14-2022 at 03:19 PM.

Anyway… are there companies that actually have good warranties and stand by them in appliances anymore?
    As far as I can tell, one of the main uses for wifi connectivity on our new washer and dryer are for them to show notifications in the mobile app when the manufacturer's warranty is about to expire, and try to sell me an extended warranty. lolwut

Like, seriously...it will tell me when the wash is done, which I honestly appreciate because I forget...and try to sell me an extended warranty.

I thought the dryer in our old house died. I did a quick YouTube search, which led me to a video of somebody fixing the same model dryer by replacing a fuse. One drive to Sears (when they were still open) later, I had a replacement and a working dryer. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Can you list MFG and Model with code ? Lot of sleuthy MF'ers on here that can try to help you crack the parts dilemma. Looks like Ebay has used LG dishwasher pumps with heating elements built in for about $60.
    I'll check for a used part... thanks. Didn't think of that.

I’ve had pretty good luck with repairclinic.com for parts, they also have videos on how to replace said part.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums