Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    https://www.ereplacementparts.com/

From tools to appliances. My go to source for parts.
    Exploded diagrams and great service.

PS. For those old enough to remember.
    LG used to be called Goldstar. It was not stellar. Although LG is definitely better.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I would talk to the local appliance repair company. My brother repairs appliances. He actually says LG is the best of the non-high end appliances. Most reliable and easiest for him to work on and get parts.
    Seriously? Or are you just trying to drum up business for him? LG blows donkey dick. I bought an LG clothes washer on a massive sale fully expecting it to be disposable. It did not fail to disappoint. Got 4 years out of it until the thing literally grenaded inside. It wasn't worth the hassle to try and get it fixed since it was never a good washer. When I bought it the Sears salesman tried to sell me a service plan/extended warranty for almost as much as the purchase price. His main argument was that the electronic "brain" cost more to replace than the warranty plan and what I was paying combined. I told him to think about that one for a second as I declined.

For washing machines. If you want longevity.

Buy a top load with a mechanical dial.

They last decades. And cost less.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Seriously? Or are you just trying to drum up business for him? LG blows donkey dick.
    All the reviews I have read agree. In a smaller sample size, my neighbors went full-LG in their renovation and have had to replace the refrigerator after 3 years and the dishwasher after 4 years. LG CS sucks and nobody in rural Vermont will work on them.

Seriously? Or are you just trying to drum up business for him? LG blows donkey dick. I bought an LG clothes washer on a massive sale fully expecting it to be disposable. It did not fail to disappoint. Got 4 years out of it until the thing literally grenaded inside. It wasn't worth the hassle to try and get it fixed since it was never a good washer. When I bought it the Sears salesman tried to sell me a service plan/extended warranty for almost as much as the purchase price. His main argument was that the electronic "brain" cost more to replace than the warranty plan and what I was paying combined. I told him to think about that one for a second as I declined.
    Yeah, my post in a subforum of the trgz is really going to drum up a lot of business for an appliance repair guy in ATL. Maybe he will give me a cut of his millions.

I don't know, we have some LG appliances, mostly their upper end models or whatever, and they have been pretty solid for us. Apparently YMMV, but I also don't get too worked up over appliance repairs. We replaced the GE crap that came with our house within the first year though.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    You could not use appliances.

That would show them.
    I suggested that to the wife... but given that she's the sole breadwinner and I'm a stay a home dad that would land on me.

And I'm still considering that.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    https://www.ereplacementparts.com/

From tools to appliances. My go to source for parts.
    Exploded diagrams and great service.

PS. For those old enough to remember.
    LG used to be called Goldstar. It was not stellar. Although LG is definitely better.
    I will check that out... thanks.

I wonder if the extended plan covers labour as well. If not I'd likely end up with the same pure extortion bill.

FWIW I have LG clothes washer and dryer too and they work fine with no issues after 7 or 8 years.... but I will not buy one of their products again based on the shit I have to go through when they aren't fine.

Yeah, my post in a subforum of the trgz is really going to drum up a lot of business for an appliance repair guy in ATL. Maybe he will give me a cut of his millions.

I don't know, we have some LG appliances, mostly their upper end models or whatever, and they have been pretty solid for us. Apparently YMMV, but I also don't get too worked up over appliance repairs. We replaced the GE crap that came with our house within the first year though.
    I get that shit brakes... I object to a business model that is set up to deal with shit that brakes out of warranty and charges me the same price in warranty and out of warranty (for which I had to do research to deduce) and gives me literally zero other finicially reasonable options.

Their business model seems to be designed extortion.

The other big red flag for me is they will only cover the work for 90 days and for the same problem only.

Feels like I'm throwing away money at another future failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I get that shit brakes... I object to a business model that is set up to deal with shit that brakes out of warranty and charges me the same price in warranty and out of warranty (for which I had to do research to deduce) and gives me literally zero other finicially reasonable options.

Their business model seems to be designed extortion.

Bought a printer lately? Had the same experience with Brother Customer service. Turns out it really is a scam. So I feel your pain.

Good luck getting it resolved. I'd probably talk to the local repair guy, and pay to get it fixed and move on. Not worth the brain damage.

If it's not clear, Here is what I hoped to get from this thread:

"Brand X doesn't do that.... they have a long term parts and labor warranty and they have stood by it for me"

Or

"I know an aftermarket parts shop where you can buy that part for less"

Or

"I challenged LG on their warranty and won and this is how I did it"

Yeah I'm not really on social media but I do have and IG profile. I joked with my wife about doing an office space beat-down of the dishwasher with a sledgehammer or something, and posting it to get a reaction... Maybe that's what needs to happen.

But I've been drinking so that's probably not the correct decision.

I don't do ig or Twitter, but have accounts that I have used for the sole purpose of calling out shit companies; used FB for that too. It works (but I recommend not doing the office space approach).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If you haven't noticed, Customer Service across the board, every industry, every where in the world has taken a massive dive over the last 5 years. It is basically an epidemic. India is laughing all the way to the bank.

Bought a printer lately? Had the same experience with Brother Customer service. Turns out it really is a scam. So I feel your pain.

Good luck getting it resolved. I'd probably talk to the local repair guy, and pay to get it fixed and move on. Not worth the brain damage.
    I have called 1 and they want $125 just to come to the house... and that's before any work is done and LG has said the part is only under warranty if they do the work... for $279. And the part on its own costs... $279.

I'm going call around more.

Is there a place that sells non OEM parts for less?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I don't do ig or Twitter, but have accounts that I have used for the sole purpose of calling out shit companies; used FB for that too. It works (but I recommend not doing the office space approach).
    Ok I'll leave office space as a backup.... and maybe I'll try IG or even Google reviews first.

Thanks.

If you haven't noticed, Customer Service across the board, every industry, every where in the world has taken a massive dive over the last 5 years. It is basically an epidemic. India is laughing all the way to the bank.
    You are not wrong, but this honestly feels to me like they have designed the unit and their business to almost guarantee that every time something fails you will pay them $279 to fix it, whether it's in warranty or not.

That's pathological.

For this kind of extortive business model and only guaranteeing the work for 90 days, I'm honestly leaning towards selling it with full disclosure and at a loss and buying something with at least a good warranty.

Our LG dishwasher died 2 years in. My wife went through their system, and endless e-mails later (with no certified repairs available in our remote area) got a 3/5 of purchase price refund based on a planned 5 year product life. We then bought a Bosch, which is what we should have done in the first place.

A sane (from a sustainability perspective) system would require manufacturers to service products for a specified product life, and then take them back to be refurbished or recycled. One can dream.

I will check that out... thanks.

That’s a good resource along with YouTube to figure out how to crack it open. Despite the facade, newer appliances aren’t that different on the inside. Just parts that break and need to be replaced.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Different type of appliance, but we had a sensor fail on our GE water heater. I diagnosed the issue based on the blinking light code, gave them a call, sat on hold for an hour, and then the part was shipped out to me for free (under warranty).

We've had good luck with their other appliances (fridge, ovens and microwave), but never had to check in on warranty for those.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    That’s a good resource along with YouTube to figure out how to crack it open. Despite the facade, newer appliances aren’t that different on the inside. Just parts that break and need to be replaced.
    YouTube and some other sites are what got me hopefull... and this point I've pretty much confirmed the part that is broken is in this assembly that the sell for the same cost as paying them to do the work.

If I can get them to send me the part for free and install it myself I will try that but I'm cynical they will even send me the part at this point.

This.

Customer service is the last thing on any corporation cause you are a whiny entitled Customer to them

All appliances furnaces water heaters are all built to implode in 5 to 10 years if they actually made a quality product and you only had to buy one ever 20 to 30 years how'd they make a profit

Appliances are pretty easy to work on and 2 companies more or less build all the appliances and stick a different label on em

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    This.

Customer service is the last thing on any corporation cause you are a whiny entitled Customer to them

All appliances furnaces water heaters are all built to implode in 5 to 10 years if they actually made a quality product and you only had to buy one ever 20 to 30 years how'd they make a profit

Appliances are pretty easy to work on and 2 companies more or less build all the appliances and stick a different label on em
    Yeah I get the same sense.

But as I said above, when I was on the fence about a new raft I elected for the one with the 10 year warranty over the one with 5.

Probably won't come up but I appreciate that they will back it.

Maybe some appliance manufacturer does something similar?

If it's not clear, Here is what I hoped to get from this thread:

"Brand X doesn't do that.... they have a long term parts and labor warranty and they have stood by it for me"

Or

"I know an aftermarket parts shop where you can buy that part for less"

Or

"I challenged LG on their warranty and won and this is how I did it"

We have a Maytag front loader washer and dryer that gets heavy use(IMHO), at least twice a day full cycles since 2016.

One day the dryer stopped blowing hot air, looked online and saw it was either a sensor or the heating element. After a quick trip down to the local appliance store, I was told that they were two weeks behind on any service options(wife would not have been able to function that long) but they had the parts in stock. Voila, $79 later, a quick YouTube learning experience and an hour of my time and it was back in action.

Not saying Maytag would have been my first choice, it has had a few other small issues but at least parts are available.

In our old house we had an Asko set that worked amazing, but wasn't available when we moved to our new house. And our Bosch dishwasher is rock solid day in and day out.