PNW December 28th - January 1st

Hi

I am coming to the US and I am looking for people to ski with. I'll be in NYC first and then fly into Seattle on the 27th of December. On the 3rd I have to get on a ferry in Chelan.

So far the Plan is to ski with @Norseman on New Years and the 2nd of January. I trust his jugement on what to do.
    Otherwise plans have yet to take shape and I am looking for ski buddies.
    Will rent a car so I am able to travel around. I bring touring / backcountry equipment and would prefer to tour but if there is good skiing I am totally in for front and side country, too.

Any recommendations? Anybody up for some skiing?

Best
    Leo

I'm around.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I'm around.
    Perfect. I'll organize the car and you can let me know where to meet and what to do. Do you think there's more to prep before leaving for the states or can we just wing it from there?

Really looking forward to ski with you again!

The biggest difference in skiing around the Puget Sound when compared with the Alps is cost and lodging availability. It's expensive here. I'm pretty sure you could crash on our couch (let me clear it with my partner) or be the first guest in our incomplete #dreamshack (no heat or windows yet). Hopefully fellow maggots will offer couch space and you'll be set, but I'd try and get your sleep space sorted.

I'm slow on the skin track, so I may not be the best partner for touring. Again, hopefully other locals will step forward. But I'd be up for days at either Alpental or Crystal, the latter of which I know pretty well. Lift tickets are expensive here, like well over $150/day. I might be able to scare up some discounts at both locales. Alpental always has a good crew lurking up in the Southwest corner of lot 4, the lot furthest up the access road.

There' are 2 strategies:
    0) a full survey of Puget Sound ski areas, hitting White Pass, Crystal, Alpental, Stevens, Mission Ridge (maybe on the way to Chelan/Holden) and Mt. Baker. Logistics and expense in that plan is more complex.

1) Alternatively, stay closer to Seattle with Crystal and Crystal BC, Alpental and the good crew and love of lot 4 here and a day around Stevens BC. That would likely be simpler with more maggot resources.

We've been having a good start to the year, so we should have a good base, but weather here can make driving and touring dicey. At least get an all wheel drive vehicle with snow tires.

Ma Highmen is cool with you couch surfing for a few nights. We are way out in the sticks, no walkable stores or bars, but we make decent food and need help with our wine stash.

I'm supposed to Arrive at Seattle Airport on the 27th around 9pm. So Will probably be out of there around 10 to pick up the car (but no clue really, don't know a lot about airports...).
    Should I look for a place to stay at the airport or drop by Chateau Highmen even if it gets a bit late...

I'll have to be in Chelan only the evening of the 3rd. So that leaves us a good window I guess.

ah and one more thing if somebody could enlighten me:
    It's hard to find the cheapest car for winter driving to rent... Are snow chains a thing in your country? Winter tires? 4WD?
    Do I have to pay attention or will it be perfect anyways?

Mountain pass conditions here can change rapidly. I strongly suggest renting a vehicle with AWD to avoid to common chain up requirements of 2wd only vehicles on the passes. Expect closures and delays if it snowing hard. People here suck at driving and will fuck up your day.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I'm supposed to Arrive at Seattle Airport on the 27th around 9pm. So Will probably be out of there around 10 to pick up the car (but no clue really, don't know a lot about airports...).
    Should I look for a place to stay at the airport or drop by Chateau Highmen even if it gets a bit late...

I'll have to be in Chelan only the evening of the 3rd. So that leaves us a good window I guess.
    pm sent.

Get a 4wd/awd car for sure. I can drive when you're at Chez Highmen most days, but to get to Chelan, 4wd/awd is highly, highly recommended.

I'm really trying to, but car rental agencies have a hard time to understand my request... But will log it in today and I guess I'll not take a gamble on this one.