Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Haldex and Torsen are the two types of clutched differentials that the Audi VW group has used on 4Motion and Quattro equipped cars. !
    Torsen isn’t clutched. It’s geared. Haldex is clutched, torque split varies.
    https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wvmekv7/

Moving on….

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

Moving on….
    Why? I thought this was TGR and thread drift and arguing over nits was encouraged and a natural occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

Moving on….
    Torsen can have varying levels of torque split. It depends mainly on the angle of the helical gears, but can also be adjusted slightly by changing lubricant.

Also, Torsen basically acts as an open diff until there is a torque imbalance between the two outputs. So if you input say 100 ft-lb of torque and both ends can handle 50 ft-lb (or sides if it’s a front or rear diff) then the torque will be split evenly.

However if one end has less traction (due to surface, tire loading, etc.) then that will limit the torque applied at that output end of the diff, and if you apply more than twice that torque to the input to the diff, the torque imbalance causes the gears to lock up due to friction.

(The race cars I worked on had AWD using Torsen type diffs… Transverse engines too FWIW)

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Why? I thought this was TGR and thread drift and arguing over nits was encouraged and a natural occurrence.
    Name:  7C15D2D3-A24F-4460-91CB-BE669DAE2789.gif
Views: 304
Size:  72.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    What about Tokyo Drift?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What about Tokyo Drift?
    Jesus people, click the links!

Frorider already has it covered:

When it Comes to Drifting,

a Torsen style differential will result in a smaller radius and a cleaner drift due to its consistent power to the rears, and the ability to send up to 75% of that power there. However, once a drift is initiated, a vehicle with a Haldex differential is known to be easier to modulate and maintain a drift, while the Torsen’s transition from understeer-to-oversteer can make it difficult to hold a slide for a beginner.

(I have no idea if this is true. And I have a feeling they’re dumbing down the operation of the Haldex)

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Like you're saying, Allroad has a bit more people room (mostly it's wider). Alltrack has a bit more cargo room (mostly at the roofline, so may or may not be useful depending on what you're carrying).

Aside from price, the main upside of an Alltrack over an Allroad is that it's available in a manual.
    And you not paying 10-20k for four rings

Love my 2019 manual Alltrack and extra cargo room

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You do realize that this may qualify you as the luckiest person on the planet, right?

Is that why I never win the lotto, all the luck went to my Jeeps? None ever needed towed and none ever had a to have a major repair. Maybe I just know how to pick the right ones? Most were the venerable 4.0 for dependability but light on power. Maybe its maintenance?

“Never driven a Chrysler product that did not strand me. Will not buy” detrusor

We all have different experiences. I have never owned anything but a Mopar 4x4 and have only needed rescued twice. Once when my dumbass teen self blew up a factory origin man 727 trans in my ‘77 W150 after a year of heavy footed driving at 16, and once when I hit a deer and broke a pitman arm on my ‘91 W250. Only other major repairs were a broken flexplate and smoked trans on my 1985 W350 Crew that has my previously mention 91’s running gear with well over 350k on the clock; she limbed to the transmission shop. Other than rodent damage to wiring in my 2016 Ram, no problems with her in 96k. One of the dumbest moves the auto industry ever did was plant based wire insulation.

Mopar or no car for me, but to each his own.

Back to the AWD wagon and crossover stoke.
    "Let's be careful out there."

^Bunch of good ideas. Don't have much experience in this class, but wife has a VW Golf Wagon 4motion gasser w/ 6sp manual and Blizzaks, and its a fucking riot around town, up and down the Sea to Sky, and on winter roadies around BC. On snow covered pavement, enough control to comfortably lose it sorta thing, and we choose it over my 'yota half ton any time the paved roads suck.
    B4 that she had a FWD Diesel 6sp manual model w/ Blizzaks (one of the emissions deniers, which she used to commute in and out of Boston for a few winters, as well as winter trips up to NH, VT, ME, QC, etc. And while the 4motion is way more fun to drive in snow, it was super competent and took us wherever we wanted to go...on pavement. The torque and power that defeat device provided was unreal as well; Gs for days, haha. Enjoy whatever you decide man.

New car for mountain resident (Outback?)

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I placed a deposit on a AWD Hybrid Toyota Sienna 16 months ago. If it ever shows up I will be psyched.
    Had a 2004 Sienna XLS premium edition that we drove for 13 years. Gave it to my daughter who was a broke student and she drove it another 5. 200+km on the ODO and while the body was beat to shreds, I am sure that engine would go another 200K. Problem was my daughter and her partner didn’t do any maintenance beyond oil changes and even those were iffy. It needed about 2500 bucks worth of work from a very inexpensive garage. So she sold it to a parts guy for $1200.

The Swagger Wagon rules. I am very interested in how the Hybrid works out.

Son just paid 18k for a Toyota Tacoma with 195km…put $3K of repairs into it and he is loving it. It has a lift kit, which initially he wasn’t keen on, but he says it is the cat’s azz for deer hunting. Goes over everything.

The thing about any Toyota is you can get aftermarket parts up the Yang yang. They are just amazing vehicles. Treat them well and most of those V-6 driven models will go 500k km +. That engine is just solid. Like the old Dodge in-line 6 from the 60’s and 70’s….cars disintegrated, but the engines always outlived the bodies.

Edit to add…my buddy has had several Hyundai Santa Fe. I borrowed it a few times when down a vehicle. Very solid, cheap to operate and maintain, and very very reliable. Basically, the Koreans of 2010’s and 2020’s are the Hondas of the 80’s and 90’s. AWD, peppy engine and great on gas. And room for fam of 4 and gear. My bother has driven his several times from his home in North Van to our place in Pano with wife, 3 kids and dog and ski gear for New Years week. Pure utility and drives well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Infant twins and 4 year old all fit in back seat of a 2000 Subaru Legacy wagon. Low profile infant seats and booster. It was tight, especially for the 4 year old that had to sight between his siblings.