Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Toberto Heating Pad for Back Pain Relief Ultra Soft 12"x24" Large Electric Heating pad for Muscle Cramps Heated Pad with 6 Adjustable Temperature Settings Auto Shut Off Charcoal Grey https://a.co/d/cOYOmPw

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks! Can’t wait to try this out

Athalon customer service has made me a believer. Had 2 heating bass shut the bed after a lot of use. They replaced them free (the pads) no questions asked.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Toberto Heating Pad for Back Pain Relief Ultra Soft 12"x24" Large Electric Heating pad for Muscle Cramps Heated Pad with 6 Adjustable Temperature Settings Auto Shut Off Charcoal Grey https://a.co/d/cOYOmPw

How do you plug this in your car?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by durangobrad View Post
    How do you plug this in your car?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    My truck has a built in inverter or you can buy one. They’re inexpensive.

Hand and foot warmers are cheap also.
    watch out for snakes

But still .... DIY it to death for yourself, but NEVER, EVER FOR YOUR WIFE!

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    OK ok I have been convinced...

I will, however, document my own boot melting escapades here once a few parts arrive.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    If mrs fleaches is pretty handy the OP could just buy all the shit and let her do it herself

kind of like when you got the science experiment in a box or paint by #'s as a kid

but consider there is probably a way to quantify the fucks

you don't get for a shitty X-mas presy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Everyone here is making this difficult.

Buy a heated seat cushion for your car, the kind that plugs into the 12V outlet. This should cost you under $20 on ebay. You want the kind that only covers the bottom of the seat: the others will be too big.
    Buy a boot bag with spare room.
    Stuff the heated seat cover in the bottom and sides of the boot bag.
    Zip up the bag, run the cord to the 12V outlet, and plug it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Everyone here is making this difficult.

Buy a heated seat cushion for your car, the kind that plugs into the 12V outlet. This should cost you under $20 on ebay. You want the kind that only covers the bottom of the seat: the others will be too big.
    Buy a boot bag with spare room.
    Stuff the heated seat cover in the bottom and sides of the boot bag.
    Zip up the bag, run the cord to the 12V outlet, and plug it in.
    That sounds difficult and with zero control over the heat/time. I’ll stick with my much easier and better build.

Buy her thermic boot heaters so she has warm boots all day. Use the pre warm function when you are charging the battery and then stuff her socks in the cuff to hold heat in for the drive. Leave the boot warmers on for the drive up to the hill as well.

It won’t make it easier to put the boot on but it will make the inside warm. If you want to make it easier to put them on, use the air activated hand warmers and stick them between the over lap in the boot. They will slide on like butter. Put the hand warmers in a ziplock bag and they will last a week.

yup heated socks would be warm in whatever foot wear she chooses
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That sounds difficult and with zero control over the heat/time. I’ll stick with my much easier and better build.
    1. If you had looked, you would have noticed that many of these cushions already have time and temperature controls, e.g.:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/281289985853

2. Your build uses a heating pad that runs on wall power. 99%+ of people don't have a 110V inverter already built into their vehicle, making your solution both more complicated and several times more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    1. If you had looked, you would have noticed that many of these cushions already have time and temperature controls, e.g.:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/281289985853

2. Your build uses a heating pad that runs on wall power. 99%+ of people don't have a 110V inverter already built into their vehicle, making your solution both more complicated and several times more expensive.
    Bought one just like that when first building mine, it sucked. The one in my link doesn’t suck. Elements through the entire pad. You do you tho.

Bought one just like that when first building mine, it sucked. The one in my link doesn’t suck. Elements through the entire pad. You do you tho.

You're avoiding the inverter issue...and you apparently don't realize that the cigarette lighter outlets are fused at either 10A or 15A.
    As someone who has owned multiple inverters, who has wired up built-in seat heaters and other car electronics, and who actually sleeps in their car, I can offer the following facts:

1. The 12V electrical outlets in a car are only good for 100-150W. (They're fused at either 10A or 15A.) That's only going to generate...150W of heat. Nothing anyone does will get around this. It doesn't matter if you pay $300 for the Kulkea or Fuxi...it can still only give you 150W of heat when plugged into your car.
    2. If you plug an inverter into the 12V outlet, as you advocate, and run the heating pad off the inverter, you lose a bunch of energy to the inverter, so you'll do even worse. Your practical maximum will be 100W or less.
    2.5. Oh, yeah, those little inverters always have a noisy fan on them. You're not sleeping with that thing on, and it's annoying even when you're awake. So they're doubly wrong for someone sleeping in their car: their only real use is charging laptops.
    3. The only way to get more than 150W of electric heat is by wiring an inverter directly to the battery -- either by jumper cables, or by permanent installation (which involves adding fuse terminals and running wires through the firewall).
    4. If you're drawing more than the 150W that your 12V socket can produce, you'll be running down your battery fairly quickly. Leaving that electric heater on without the car running will be risky.

In conclusion, your solution is only better if you have a hard-wired inverter already installed in your car, and probably a spare battery. (I don't think OP is going to be opening the hood and hooking jumper cables up for his wife's boot bag.) But at that point I would just get one of the $20 ebay boot dryers with a hot-air blower, which will make your boots much warmer, and much faster, than a heating pad.

As for the rest of us, you can either pay $300, or you can buy the heated seat cushion and wrap everything in a blanket. Or you can stuff them down in the passenger seat well and turn the heater vents to "floor", which is what I always did while driving to the hill.

Yano, we used to prop our boots with the open tops on a heater duct. Runthefan on high and magico pressto, warm boots.
    watch out for snakes

For the record my heating pad draws 55 watts. According to the Interweb pads draw 40 to 60 watts,

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    For the record my heating pad draws 55 watts. According to the Interweb pads draw 40 to 60 watts,
    Shhh, spats is doing spats…..lol

DIY heated boot bag?

Weird double post.