Anyone skied the Faction CT 5.0/Mana 4?

Hard to find good info on how these ski!

I've searched back through old posts, and found some hype about them, but not really any specific details.

Considering these as a pure pow ski, but also look like they could be good fun for resort.

Bump for zeeeeeee crickets....

Owned the 2020 CT 5.0, skied it a ton, and sold it.

Mistake.

Missed it so much I bought a 2022 CT 5.0.

I have the green/black 183’s mounted at approx -4.75cm.

Rips groomers cause of it’s non-tapered tip/tail shape. The flat camber is perfect in tight spots and for floating in pow. I find it easy to ski. The hype is real. But you sure don’t see a lot of them on the hill.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-01-2022 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks for the input, eh!

Yeah, odd - seems like very few people have skied them.

Word is they're pretty stiff, plus the flat camber - maybe scaring people off?

I was thinking of them as a full pow ski for cat trips, and the occasional mega day up at Whistler.

I have them in my quiver. Fucking awesome ski.
    Super turny in pow. Very poppy. Ultra stable.
    Love them.

Would by it again.

I am on the candide line and this is were they shine!

I suspect there are a few reasons more people haven’t skied them:

1. 108 waisted one-ski-quivers are more common and good enough in moderate powder
    2. Faction has well documented durability issues (though I haven’t read a ton about the 5.0 falling apart)
    3. There are other brands that can be found around here for cheap which perform just as well, if not better

That said, this ski has been on my list of skis to try for years. The lack of camber has made me think twice about buying them but the biggest thing holding me back is that I’m not going to pay $100-200 more just for a Faction logo when I can get a comparable ski for less money.

That said, if anyone has a pair of these in 190cm near Tahoe for $300-350, I’ll gladly take them off your hands

Quote Originally Posted by whereiscarlos View Post
    I suspect there are a few reasons more people haven’t skied them:

1. 108 waisted one-ski-quivers are more common and good enough in moderate powder
    2. Faction has well documented durability issues (though I haven’t read a ton about the 5.0 falling apart)
    3. There are other brands that can be found around here for cheap which perform just as well, if not better

That said, this ski has been on my list of skis to try for years. The lack of camber has made me think twice about buying them but the biggest thing holding me back is that I’m not going to pay $100-200 more just for a Faction logo when I can get a comparable ski for less money.

That said, if anyone has a pair of these in 190cm near Tahoe for $300-350, I’ll gladly take them off your hands

Interesting - what other skies do you have on the list that aren't as spendy?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9714.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	436200

I’m on the Candide line on my 2022 CT 5.0s. They’re stiff but easy to ski. Don’t be scared of the flat rocker….it can grip on ice if you roll the ski over to engage the whole ski edge.

I think the durability issues were with with the ones a few years ago. The 2020 black, 2021 white and now these 2022 green/black CT 5.0 versions (above) have no issues.

The black ones (below) were my previous pair….these were the first year for the good construction 2020?…never should have sold them.

PS these were simpler days with a 106mm, 112mm and 122mm 3-ski quiver.

Name:	IMG_2511.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	778.1 KB 
ID:	436202

Last edited by kc_7777; 12-01-2022 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post

I’m on the Candide line on my 2022 CT 5.0s. They’re stiff but easy to ski. Don’t be scared of the flat rocker….it can grip on ice if you roll the ski over to engage the whole ski edge.

I think the durability issues were with with the ones a few years ago. The 2020 black, 2021 white and now these 2022 green/black CT 5.0 versions (above) have no issues.

The black ones (below) were my previous pair….these were the first year for the good construction 2020?…never should have sold them.

PS these were simpler days with a 106mm, 112mm and 122mm 3-ski quiver.

Oh nice!

I'm probably not going to be skiing them much inbounds, anyway.

Other skis I've been considering are the Whitewalker, which I got along with really well last year at Retallack, the new 121 Whitewalker (too short?), the Chetler 120 which might be a little soft, and the Nocta which looks pretty dreamy and seems a little more directional. But generally, I like stiff skis.

Too many good skis to choose from...

Quote Originally Posted by twat View Post
    I have them in my quiver. Fucking awesome ski.
    Super turny in pow. Very poppy. Ultra stable.
    Love them.

Would by it again.

I am on the candide line and this is were they shine!
    Freakin' sweet. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSoBright View Post
    Interesting - what other skies do you have on the list that aren't as spendy?
    You should be able to find most these in GearSwap for less than a pair of CT5.0 in similar condition would cost.

- BlackCrows Anima
    - ON3P Jeffrey/Kartel 116/118
    - Volkl Revolt 121
    - K2 Reckoner 122
    - Rossignol Black Ops 118
    - Armada ARG
    - Salomon QST 118 (QST Blank)
    - Moment Wildcat
    - Praxis FRS
    - Solomon Rocker2 122

It is not about the faction logo.
    I have the pink roxy branded ones ; )

It is not about the faction logo.
    I have the pink roxy branded ones ; )
    I do think (for the CT 5.0) that it’s about the shape…..and not the Faction logo?

The combo of the stiffness, flat rocker, combined with non-taper (fat tips and tails) is what it is all about. And why you should buy it. None of the other pow skis listed 2 posts above have that combination.

Yes you’d pay less, but you are NOT getting the same thing.

The CT 5.0 is like a super fat Rossi Sickle!

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I do think (for the CT 5.0) that it’s about the shape…..and not the Faction logo?

The combo of the stiffness, flat rocker, combined with non-taper (fat tips and tails) is what it is all about. And why you should buy it. None of the other pow skis listed 2 posts above have that combination.

Yes you’d pay less, but you are NOT getting the same thing.

The CT 5.0 is like a super fat Rossi Sickle!

I loved the s6/steeze/sickle. Yes there are similarities, it is fatter but nimbler.
    Such a nimble ski for this dimensions.

I loved the s6/steeze/sickle. Yes there are similarities, it is fatter but nimbler.
    Such a nimble ski for this dimensions.
    You two are doing a good job of selling me on these...

Quote Originally Posted by NotSoBright View Post
    You two are doing a good job of selling me on these...
    I think it is called fluffing

Been in the Kootenays for 2 weeks. Skied some pretty decent conditions at Whitewater Ski Resort.

New snow that was pretty deep at times, but some lumpy runs as they need 2-3’ more snow in some of the really steep terrain in Glory Bowl (to cover up blowdowns).

The CT 5.0’s excel here. Pivoty, with the flat rocker underfoot (more skis should be flat rocker IMO?), but stiff enough to get through variable snowpack, or to save your ass when you have to throw em sideways quickly and change direction.

I’m mounted at Candide’s rec (-4.8cm) and they feel perfect there.

Also skied over a ton of wood/rocks (trees and rocks sticking up through snow) and they’ve held up well.

Name:	585DD914-E039-474F-8BD4-2F1E5A2E7006.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	711.1 KB 
ID:	440774

Last edited by kc_7777; 02-01-2023 at 09:42 AM.

Thumbs up Mana4 kitchen review

Well, I haven't skied it yet, but its in my bedroom, the Mana 4 that is In 190 length.
    Long time reader, first time poster.

I can share some basic info in case its helpful:
    • Length is 187.5cm (straight tape pull on top)
    • Length is 187.9cm (with tape depressed at center, as used for measuring mount point)
    • Length is 190.2cm (curved tape pull along bottom)
    • The "newschool" mount line is -4.75cm from center
    • The "progressive" mount line is -6.30cm from center
    • The "classic" mount line is -7.85cm from center
    • My kitchen scale reads 2195 and 2230 grams (verified by two different scales)
    • Tip splay 6.7cm
    • Tail splay 7.0cm
    • The profile has a relative long flat section, roughly 44cm from tail and 47cm from tip.
    • It sort of has ~0.5mm positive camber actually, similar to my Ravens.

The sidecut is true to internet images, minimal tip or tail tapering.
    The rocker is deep, starting subtle, and progressively curved toward the twin tips with only a modest amount of tip and tail splay. Very similar profile to my 2021 CT3.0's.

The flex is does not seem overly stiff to me. Well, it is definitely stiff, but the linear profile over its length combined with the long rocker makes it relatively un-intimidating. Here is how I would compare it to some of the other skis I own/owned:
    Overall perception of stiffness
    Shovel Center Tail
    2023 Mana4 190 8 8 8
    2021 CT3.0 190 8 8 8
    2021 Nocta 190 6 6 6
    2022 Anima 194 6 9 6
    2019 Anima 194 6 8 5
    2022 G3 Slayr 195 10 10 10
    2014 Cochise 185 9 9 9
    2021 Raven 190 5 10 8

5 points on that scale is what I consider... not average necessarily, but a middle-ground of flex. Lots of good and popular skis would rate <5 I think. And some might go >10. Just felt the need to explain that scale a bit ha.
    Fingers crossed the Mana4 is the exact amalgamation of a Nocta and CT3.0

Personally, I was never sold on the CT5.0 for my purposes, but the CT3.0 or Mana3 is too small to tour on, so the Mana 4 is about perfect on paper. It was disappointing to weigh it at 150g above advertised, but should I be surprised? Ha, no. I'm over that now. I'll be mounting them next week with Zed bindings at -7cm from center. I'll try to circle back here later once I've had some time on it. The Nocta (w Zeds at -6cm) is currently my main touring ski so it will be exciting to compare them directly.

Cheers,