Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winter Tire Age Limits

Looking for some new winter tires and possibly wheels, when I realized I have 4 Pirelli Sotozero 3 225 45 18 tires with minimal wear from my old Subie Legacy GT sitting in my storage area (not exposed to light but not climate controlled). They have at least 8/32 tread left ,maybe more , and appear to be in great condition but were purchased in 2015. No visible cracks or wear. Are these still fine to use, or is 7 -8 yrs too much? Any way to objectively check?

check the date code to make sure they aren’t more than 10 years.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Looking for some new winter tires and possibly wheels, when I realized I have 4 Pirelli Sotozero 3 225 45 18 tires with minimal wear from my old Subie Legacy GT sitting in my storage area (not exposed to light but not climate controlled). They have at least 8/32 tread left ,maybe more , and appear to be in great condition but were purchased in 2015. No visible cracks or wear. Are these still fine to use, or is 7 -8 yrs too much? Any way to objectively check?
    Use them if they don’t have any cracks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I had a set of winter tires that had been sitting around for a couple of years from a previous vehicle that were in that 7-8 year old range. The tread looked fine but they were awful on the road. Not sure if the rubber had degraded or what but they had next to no traction on wet pavement.

I’m Not sure how to evaluate them without giving them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Use them if they don’t have any cracks

Yes

Go ahead and use them, what's the worst that could happen?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Go ahead and use them, what's the worst that could happen?
    They’ll feel like all seasons is the worst that could happen is my guess. They’ll probably feel like winter tires though.

I don’t drive enough to wear tires out in a couple years, I have 7 year old ATs on my rig and there’s still tread and they perform fine.

Winter Tire Age Limits

How would you price a set to sell on CL sim to OP’s above?

I’ve got some 3PMS load e tires that just need to go, not dead yet, but not exactly fresh either…$100 for 4? $80?

(I posted them in Apr @ $100, but not even a peep…now that it’s snow season again, I thought I’d see if I can move them)

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    How would you price a set to sell on CL sim to OP’s above?

I’ve got some 3PMS load e tires that just need to go, not dead yet, but not exactly fresh either…$100 for 4? $80?

(I posted them in Apr @ $100, but not even a peep…now that it’s snow season again, I thought I’d see if I can move them)
    Depends on what tire and how much tread. I bought a set of Blizzaks with great tread on stock factory steel wheels for $200 two summers ago

Depends on what tire and how much tread. I bought a set of Blizzaks with great tread on stock factory steel wheels for $200 two summers ago

Not high end
    Discount Tire house branded that had 40k warranty that I put 30k on

I would say that no one over 80 years old should be driving on winter tires.. Winter Tire Age Limit 80..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Not high end
    Discount Tire house branded that had 40k warranty that I put 30k on
    Put them up for $80 obo

Put them up for $80 obo

thx, will try that

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I would say that no one over 80 years old should be driving on winter tires.. Winter Tire Age Limit 80..
    Hard to argue with, but if I'm still skiing at that age ......
    How about if we limit to no driving on snow tires if 80+ unless it's not storming?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    You would prefer they're driving around in the snow on all-seasons? GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Hard to argue with, but if I'm still skiing at that age ......
    How about if we limit to no driving on snow tires if 80+ unless it's not storming?
    Our resident 94 yo ski instructor, Otto, just hitchhikes everyday. He waits at the park and ride to catch a ride if he misses the bus and just asks people for rides on the way home.

When I grow up I want to be like Otto.
    I just think snow tires are applicable in situations that a septuagenarian/octogenarian might find themselves other than breaking trail.

Pirellis are likely well made, top shelf. The quality of the build will last years. It's the environment they've been sitting in that is the key.
    As stated, look good, no cracks etc. go for it.
    Rubber won't be as tacky but mo betta than AS with no siping.

I rolled some minty 20 year old bias ply tires, a size too large for the mazda b2000 many snows ago. They were like tank treads on the lil rear wheel driver. At 60 mph you could feel the lateral sway in the sidewalls. While passing the slow fucks in their jeepoos on a snowy village road.

Charge!

Probably a little bit climate dependent. If they’re cooking all summer I’d bet they’re likely weaker than if your summer highs are reasonable.

I hate to say, the only way you’re going to figure it out is to try them. I switched tires today, wasn’t as bad as I remembered.

I just recently got a new car that came with M+S rated all seasons. Fortunately, the tire size is the same as my last rig, so I had some snow tires from 2019 laying around with 8/32 tread left.

Took them to my local tire shop to get them put on, and the guy I was working with told me that 3 year old snow tires would perform the same in the snow as new all seasons since the 3 year old rubber is not as grippy as fresh tires, so he wouldn't put them on. I told him to GTFO and left. Pretty sure he just didn't want to put them on cause I was in an hour before closing. I'm 99 percent sure he's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    I just recently got a new car that came with M+S rated all seasons. Fortunately, the tire size is the same as my last rig, so I had some snow tires from 2019 laying around with 8/32 tread left.

Took them to my local tire shop to get them put on, and the guy I was working with told me that 3 year old snow tires would perform the same in the snow as new all seasons since the 3 year old rubber is not as grippy as fresh tires, so he wouldn't put them on. I told him to GTFO and left. Pretty sure he just didn't want to put them on cause I was in an hour before closing. I'm 99 percent sure he's wrong.
    snows and all seasons have a totally different tread pattern, and all seasons suck in snow. 3 years is fine. the DOT says 10 years, so that is what i am sticking with as long as the visual inspection passes. i mean, it's the only part of the car that touches the ground so i understand being careful but i wouldn't go back to that shop.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

That statement really depends on how worn the winter tires are.

But mostly I call bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post

That's just horseshit, Notice that local tire shops always seem to recommend changing more often, where even the manufacturers say 7-10 yrs. 3 year old is nothing.

Ultimately for myself after this mental masturbation (does that have an age limit also) I decided to go new , mainly because I wanted a second set of wheels b/c having to mount and unmount on my lower profile 18 wheels is stupid, so if i was going new wheels, new mount, etc , I decided it didnt make sense to use 8 year old tires, and I'd rather go 17 inch to avoid bubbling sidewalls from giant potholes. Tire rack set on the way. Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    That's just horseshit, Notice that local tire shops always seem to recommend changing more often, where even the manufacturers say 7-10 yrs. 3 year old is nothing.

Ultimately for myself after this mental masturbation (does that have an age limit also) I decided to go new , mainly because I wanted a second set of wheels b/c having to mount and unmount on my lower profile 18 wheels is stupid, so if i was going new wheels, new mount, etc , I decided it didnt make sense to use 8 year old tires, and I'd rather go 17 inch to avoid bubbling sidewalls from giant potholes. Tire rack set on the way. Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving!
    You go with that Moda?

Yer gunna die... Can I have your tires?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!