Scarpa Freedom RS Binding Compatibility

So I've got a pair of Freedom RS 130 NIB sitting in my basement, bought them on a whim a couple years ago as leftovers cause they were super cheap, and I had other plans for them, however, yet to bust them out and now re-thinking their use as my daily driver resort boot, as my Nordica Enforcers from 2012 are, well, pretty old.

Problem now is that the alpine soles are discontinued and don't appear to be too easy to find anymore.

I believe these are ISO-9523 (Vibram Mountain Plus Sole), and since these boots were new a few years ago, I'm guessing binding designs have evolved a bit (haven't bought bindings since like ~2016), so my ultimate question is:

Is this boot compatible in any alpine bindings these days as fully meeting the spec vs "it'll work most likely" which from reading some old threads on the subject, seemed to be the case that some ppl were running these type of soles but it's not really legit. Have products evolved to accommodate this yet? I could use a new set of bindings on my daily drivers (running STH steel from 2012 on a 2012-2013 Mantra)

thanks

Funny timing. I took the same boot to a shop today to ask a few questions. One of which was Finding compatibility.

I was excited to 'win' (aka silent auction) these at the Avalanche information center benefit thing in Breck several years ago. But got the wrong size due to breaking on a half size. So never did anything with them...

Pretty much I've given up hope in making them useful but thought I'd give it a shot.

I don't think they made it more than a single model year maybe two? And far as I know the idea of this boot just fizzled out.

Following tho. Or anyone need a CHEAP 26.0?

I'm still confused about whether these qualify for MNC or not - thought it would have been more clear these days

This link has a lot of good info. Here

Simply put, there are lots of good bindings that will work with the ISO 9523.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    I'm still confused about whether these qualify for MNC or not - thought it would have been more clear these days
    It's not clear. If the soles have the words "ISO 9523" molded into them they are supposed to be compatible with a Multi-Norm binding, i.e. Amer MNC or MN, Marker ID or Sole ID, or Tyrolia AT. The last time I checked that meant the sole thickness spec was 28mm plus or minus 3mm (2019), but there are plenty of soles made by Vibram and others that were thicker (just because it was made by Vibram doesn't guarantee it is ISO 9523 compliant).

before you do anything i would put them on and walk around the house. those boots are the least comfortable things scarpa has ever made.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    before you do anything i would put them on and walk around the house. those boots are the least comfortable things scarpa has ever made.
    This. So its not just me...

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    This link has a lot of good info. Here

Simply put, there are lots of good bindings that will work with the ISO 9523.
    Thanks - so it looks like Salomon has Warden and the new STH2 that are MNC and should be ok for this boot. I wasn't aware that the STH2 went MNC I guess that's new this year

Anyone have any opinion on Warden vs STH2's? I have STH2 and STH on current setups, have skied salomon bindings exclusively for my entire adult ski career aside from my kingpins...but never skied a warden or know much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    Thanks - so it looks like Salomon has Warden and the new STH2 that are MNC and should be ok for this boot. I wasn't aware that the STH2 went MNC I guess that's new this year

Anyone have any opinion on Warden vs STH2's? I have STH2 and STH on current setups, have skied salomon bindings exclusively for my entire adult ski career aside from my kingpins...but never skied a warden or know much about them.
    Both are great, as long as you can live with the 13 DIN maximum on the Warden. Heels are identical. STH2 MN is only available in 16 DIN. I have plenty of both . . .

I actually liked the Freedom series with DIN soles for resort use until my shells cracked. They fit me well, had a quality liner, and were way lighter but skied as good as my old Langes.

I got a replacement set on Ebay last spring but they were incorrectly listed since they break on the 1/2 size. I now have two sets of tech soles but only one DIN sole. Still don't think I can make these smaller boots work but I'm going to try this season.

You might be able to scrounge up some DIN soles by posting a WTB in Gear Swap? If you boots happen to be 30.5/31 shells (347bsl) I would be interested in buying them off you!

If I were to get a Warden...how’s the hole pattern compare to my 2013 STH Oversizes that I currently have mounted? Any holes get reused or plan to fill them all before the remount? Any issues with a dismount of those and a remount of current Wardens?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...yYY6Gg2a3Dd245 check out the comparison pdf, that should tell you what the overlap is.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    I actually liked the Freedom series with DIN soles for resort use until my shells cracked. They fit me well, had a quality liner, and were way lighter but skied as good as my old Langes.

I got a replacement set on Ebay last spring but they were incorrectly listed since they break on the 1/2 size. I now have two sets of tech soles but only one DIN sole. Still don't think I can make these smaller boots work but I'm going to try this season.

You might be able to scrounge up some DIN soles by posting a WTB in Gear Swap? If you boots happen to be 30.5/31 shells (347bsl) I would be interested in buying them off you!
    The Freedom DIN soles only come in 2 sizes...one for 25.5/26 and smaller and one for 26.5/27 and larger.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    YMMV of course. I have a pair of the RS and I only heat molded the Intuition liners. Skied on them on Wednesday. On most other boots, I've needed various punches, dremeling, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...yYY6Gg2a3Dd245 check out the comparison pdf, that should tell you what the overlap is.

Thanks - I'm having trouble with the layering function of the .pdf on the comparison file. Any chance someone who it works for could filter out everything but the pre-2013 Salomon and Warden layers and post pic here?
    thanks

Are your 2013 STH bindings the old style 5 hole heels, or the newer mount pattern (i.e. STH2?). The comparison template says "until 2013" but it's not clear to me if that means the old mount pattern changed stopped in 2012 or 2013.

If you have the old pattern, two toe holes are reused everything is new, and the rear most heel holes don't conflict but are close.
    If you have the new STH pattern, then everything is reused EXCEPT for the front 2 toe holes, for which the Warden uses two new ones even farther forward.

I tried to print/save the .pdf with just the relevant layers but I couldn't. I use Foxit Reader to view the different layers and it has worked well.