On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

I’ve ridden both on the Trail Pistol(a). Couldn’t feel a noticeable difference in stiffness or weight.

The main benefit I see is using a standard offset wheel. Since you already have a wheel... no way you ever get the money out of the upgrade on resale.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Supposedly the chainstay protector doesn't peel up constantly on the carbon versions. I'll probably get the carbon version when they eventually make one for the Megatrail, but it would be more for convenience factors (UDH, better CS protector, 0 dish) rather than any ride feel. The alloy rear end is already stiff as fuck, and with their 3mm rear dish I blow up plenty of DS spokes.

Hopefully Marshall can chime in, he's been on both, I was very curious about his Gnarvana when we rode this summer and I spotted the carbon chainstays. Stiffer and more precise is my recollection of what he said but I don't want to put words in his mouth.
    $1200 is a bit salty, better be some very significant improvements to the feel of a frame that isn't exactly a noodle in the rear. If I swapped wheels often maybe it would make sense but I rarely do, and when I did have to use a regular 0 dish wheel this summer I can't say I noticed a difference (other than the weird look of the tire being offset in the frame).

It looks like the V2 carbon rear triangle has a slightly different geo that makes it more progressive though and that could be useful for those of us who run coil shocks. With the hydraulic bottom-out on the EXT it's not that big of a deal for me as I never feel anything harsh but making the bike a bit more poppy could be fun.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I'm on a Gnarvana. I'll be racing on mine next year. This year was kind of a wash with injury, but got up to race pace again the last month of the season. So far very very happy with this bike. Occasionally, the rear felt harsh at speed. Push coil. Pretty stiff Reynolds carbon wheels though. Wondering if the new rear would be noticeable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Occasionally, the rear felt harsh at speed. Push coil.
    I find on the Megatrail, I have to run the rebound very fast for the rear end to not feel harsh on brake bumps (with EXT coil). I sort of recall when I had a Push on my Sentinel, I ran rebound faster than Push's suggestion also. So that's a free thing to try first.

GG owners: V1 vs. V2 rear ends...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm on a Gnarvana. I'll be racing on mine next year. This year was kind of a wash with injury, but got up to race pace again the last month of the season. So far very very happy with this bike. Occasionally, the rear felt harsh at speed. Push coil. Pretty stiff Reynolds carbon wheels though. Wondering if the new rear would be noticeable for me.
    Not sure about your spot but the Gnarvana is overkill for a lot of the enduro races around here. On a smoother course or if there’s much pedaling or slower technical sections, IMO The Smash is the better bike. Spend that money that’s burning a hole in your pocket on some Smash stays and whatever you need to adjust the fork travel. The Gnarvana rear shock works fine, you’ll just have a longer travel Smash. At the least, it’s a change you’ll notice vs blingy carbon seat stays.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Yeah I have been running the rebound almost completely open/fast and that definitely helped a lot. Biggest thing I have noticed so far is that this bike "hangs up" less on square hits than the SB150. That's generally user error/line choice....but it happens.

Not sure exactly what races I will be doing but at least 2 at Big Sky, NAEC in SIlver etc. So mostly pretty raw terrain with minimal pedaling.....would be nice to convert to Smash for the flatter races.