Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steamboat beta

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Any place to camp in a van near town?
    Not for sure about winter but there’s a KOA on the west side of town. Probably plenty of boondocking spots on Buff pass. There’s also boondocking in the parking lot at the top of Rabbit ears.

Just do what I did. Get obliterated at sunpies, snap your ankle on the streets at 2 am, flag down a cop and get a ride to your van at -11. Go to the er the next morning. Good times..

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post

With the Fish Creek expansion next year, the Flatboat reputation may need an update.
    I may be wrong but I think the new lift will just make the "golf course" terrain in bounds. It won't make access to (or exiting) fish creek canyon any easier. But I could be wrong.

I also don't think that terrain will help steamboat shake it's flat reputation. Fish creek canyon is underwhelming imo, but certainly has some steep terrain into a massive terrain trap.

Either way, I always have fun skiing there. To me it's the quintessential Colorado ski resort with long wide open blue groomers everywhere, bluebird skies and cowboy hats. It's a favorite amongst strong Midwest skiers for a reason.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I may be wrong but I think the new lift will just make the "golf course" terrain in bounds. It won't make access to (or exiting) fish creek canyon any easier. But I could be wrong.

I also don't think that terrain will help steamboat shake it's flat reputation. Fish creek canyon is underwhelming imo, but certainly has some steep terrain into a massive terrain trap.
    My understanding is that the expansion to the north of Pony Express includes both the golf course zone and ~300 acres in FCC.

I never realized it was that simple.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Great info in here, and a great start to the season. Moved down here this summer for the budget housing prices (compared to Jackson anyways) and have been enjoying the early powder days. What a cycle! A little on the flat side for sure, but that's not the worst thing for my middle-aged knees anyways. I haven't hiked up to Morningstar from Storm yet, but once that lift gets backed up when the crowds show up, you bet I will!

Heading out for a tour Saturday - it'll never be Teton Pass, but I'm looking forward to some human-powered turns.