Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steamboat beta

Steamboat beta

Considering a trip out there including wifey who wouldn't ski much. What's it have to offer beyond turns? I know the tree skiing can be nice with fresh pow...of course everything is nice with fresh pow.

It's a nice town and the Strawberry Hot Springs is a really fun spot. The skiing is very mellow, if you want hot laps on steep terrain it's not the place. There's lots of mogul ski runs, tree skiing and fast groomers.

I haven't been through there in 22 years now so that's all I got.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I hear you should go cat skiing but I've never been.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Go to FM Light and outfit yourselves with chic western wear.
    Giddy up.

Art galleries. Sold out parking passes. 4 shuttles to take 3 gondolas to the base area. Art galleries.

Its pretty awesome if you're from the midwest...

My in laws have a place there and I usually go fishing instead if skiing. Strawberry is pretty fun and, well, boobs. If ya have a sled there's way more options.

I was looking at a trail map and patrol comes up and asks "you need help finding anything?" I said yeah some fucking steep skiing...he asks where I ski and I said Bridger...he laughed and said fuck off as he skied away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Its pretty awesome if you're from the midwest...

My in laws have a place there and I usually go fishing instead if skiing. Strawberry is pretty fun and, well, boobs. If ya have a sled there's way more options.

I was looking at a trail map and patrol comes up and asks "you need help finding anything?" I said yeah some fucking steep skiing...he asks where I ski and I said Bridger...he laughed and said fuck off as he skied away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    The summers are awesome in the Yampa Valley. It's very green there.

As mentioned, if you're from the east or the midwest the skiing is great.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

LOL, looking forward to how this develops...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

The tree skiing is amazing. Magical. And if you’re lucky to time it right, it can just fucking dump there.

ue oughta go to the bar if backed up lines

Gold. Plucking gold. We've already moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Considering a trip out there including wifey who wouldn't ski much. What's it have to offer beyond turns? I know the tree skiing can be nice with fresh pow...of course everything is nice with fresh pow.
    Breakfast at The Egg.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B0E1359C-E54A-4DB1-86E8-EDD14B64B7A7.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	369.7 KB 
ID:	434757

Great town, some good food, mediocre skiing, unless it is powder and you are in the trees. Great mountain biking. Great snowmobiling.

Side note, accommodations are crazy expensive there now due to local regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    ue oughta go to the bar if backed up lines
    ^^unless it's a Tuesday or Wednesday, they don't open it for weekday folk anymore until mid/late January b/c no staff to run it.

Other things to do:

-Rent fat bikes from Wheels downtown and ride groomed trails on Emerald. (The young owner could use our support, he was recently diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins lymphoma)
    -rent free fatbikes at Stagecoach Reservoir (17 miles south of town, 11 mi groomed trail around the lake, it's quite nice)
    -depending when you visit, Haymaker Golf Course also rents fatbikes & XC but it's all flat
    -Snowshoe certain trails on Emerald
    -there is usually some sort of parade/fireworks/carnival/balloon festival on any given weekend, or a free concert at the base
    -Old Town Hot Springs is completely remodeled and quite nice, much cleaner than the shit show that is Strawberry these days, easier to get to. They regularly have Yoga. Decent gym equipment now, too.
    -You are only allowed a 2-hour window at Strawberry, reservations required, no walk-ups, cash only. More like 1.5 hours if you take a shared shuttle, have bathing suit on before you get there, trust me.
    -numerous spas and massage opportunities
    -breweries- Storm Peak- 2 locations, one at resort and one west side, Mtn. Tap downtown, Yampa Valley Brewing's new location westside downtown, The Barley- curated selection all from Colorado breweries and distilleries,
    -Rent skinny skis from Ski Haus and do a few laps on Bruce's Trail up rabbit ears, groomed on the reg
    -Shopping here is MEH unless you want a t-shirt or sheepskin carseat covers, or a cheap straw hat from FM Light. Seriously, Steamboat retail primarily sucks, same mega-brands repeated everywhere, just merchandised differently.
    -Yes, Steamboat Powdercats, if they have enough snow. They'll make the most out of 6" for sure, but not worth price of entry nowadays unless megadump or your entire cat is full of rippers.
    -tons of snowmobile rental opportunities up in Clark, better then Rabbit Ears in terms of varied terrain options. Buff is a shitshow, same as the ears now, avoid for best results.
    -for best apres, T-bar at the base. Slopeside just ok but they have tvs if that's your thing. Otherwise, Truffle Pig at the base also has great drink/food specials, as well as any of the Rex restaurants downtown (Laundry, Salt&Lime, Mazzola's)
    -the new 'food hall' at the base next to new ice rink is all Steamboat-resort food, so you'll get crap food at twice the price as the local restaurants. If it's even completed by the time you get here.
    -The only food at the resort worth splurging for is the bacon bloody served at Four Points.
    -date-night dinner at Cafe Diva ($$$)

Steamboat doesn't sell 'parking passes' to laymen like Vail does, so not sure what that comment above meant. Not even Base Club members get a parking spot anymore as that lot has recently been condemned. For skiing, take a shuttle from your rental, if offered, or be first to get one of the few free spots at Upper Knoll lot before it fills. It fills by 9am most days, earlier if pow. $30-40 dollar spots can be had in covered parking garage next to base, same for Lower Knoll lot, but that could be closed for events. Meadows lot is only other choice for parking, then take shuttle bus (or walk from lot to Wildhorse Gondy) which takes you to the base. The town bus is free, also.

It's an amazing place for those of us who don't have anything to prove. #flatboat

And oh yeah, avoid Morningside Lift from 10:30-1. Do the walk up old-school from Storm, takes 5 minutes.

Man, Strawberry sounds even worse than it was the last time I was there. Never really liked it there for all the rules and stuff. Oh well.

Another vote for Salt and Lime. The Barley too. Storm Peak guys are awesome. Drink their beer. I also like Sunpies as a dive bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Man, Strawberry sounds even worse than it was the last time I was there. Never really liked it there for all the rules and stuff. Oh well.

Another vote for Salt and Lime. The Barley too. Storm Peak guys are awesome. Drink their beer. I also like Sunpies as a dive bar.
    Its really not that bad. Its actually nicer with the reservations as its never too crowded anymore.

Disagree entirely regarding reservations, higher turnover than ever now. I see the traffic coming and going to that place every morning, noon, and night from my backyard. Total cash cow for the asshole owner, but I'm biased. I think what peeves me most about the place is 1)no showers available, and they aren't required before entry to the pools, so every tom dick and dirty harry are getting into the pools without at least rinsing off first and 2) the restrooms are far up the hillside.

When everyone around you hasn't left the pool for over an hour and a half, where do you think they are pissing?

I think the place is highly overrated, but those of you who aren't germaphobes won't give a shit. Timing is everything. Book a reservation during the weekday. Just know, the nicest hot springs in the state are not in this valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Disagree entirely regarding reservations, higher turnover than ever now. I see the traffic coming and going to that place every morning, noon, and night from my backyard. Total cash cow for the asshole owner, but I'm biased. I think what peeves me most about the place is 1)no showers available, and they aren't required before entry to the pools, so every tom dick and dirty harry are getting into the pools without at least rinsing off first and 2) the restrooms are far up the hillside.

When everyone around you hasn't left the pool for over an hour and a half, where do you think they are pissing?

I think the place is highly overrated, but those of you who aren't germaphobes won't give a shit. Timing is everything. Book a reservation during the weekday. Just know, the nicest hot springs in the state are not in this valley.
    Well traffic up there sure. But once you are in its nicer than it was. No more shoulder to shoulder people.

Ok, gross. I see where you are coming from. I have fond memories from the 90's but again, I haven't been up there since 97. My best memory is of Hail Bob dominating the night time sky while high on shrooms. I was 20-21 then.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

It's an amazing place for those of us who don't have anything to prove. #flatboat

And oh yeah, avoid Morningside Lift from 10:30-1. Do the walk up old-school from Storm, takes 5 minutes.
    I just avoid Morningside altogether. Didn't know there were any others here. It's a great place to live but the skiing definitely leaves something to be desired. My monthly trips down to Aspen help fill the need for real terrain.

As another new England person I can say that you will not get the steep laps like at other places out west. The chutes on the trail map are short and you can't lap them, you need to take a lift around and then another.
    Yes the tree skiing can be sublime if you get snow.
    The ski area is not in town, but there is a bus.
    The town is great with lots of shops and restaurants and a tourist cowboy vibe.
    I would only go back if I had a free place to stay. Slopeside. With amenities if you know what I mean.
    I went back for a while in the summer and had a week of great riding and enjoyed the rodeo.
    It's like a really big Stratton

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

fun town to walk around - good shops/restaurants - need reservations at most
    ski area - jhyatt said it best - a really big Stratton - if you can ski with a local... there are some good areas over and down the backside of pony express - can get lost easily
    pow days are a blast - get to closet/shadows early... then tons of fresh to be found at Pony... woods off Rolex are a blast - tight steep trees... also left and right of Bar UE lift as well.
    Steamboat Powercats...good group of guys there... just wildly overpriced now ($850???) and for blues and easy black runs. Used to go all the time but got too pricey...
    "Go Balls Deep!"

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    With amenities if you know what I mean.
    I don't think any slopeside condos come with hookers and blow, but maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    It's like a really big Stratton
    that's fucking funny.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It’s like a small Park City.

I’ve always enjoyed the place. Very playful, fast and flowy terrain. No traversing. Short hikes. Lots of cold smoke pow. Tons of stashes. Hot springs for apres. YMMV

With the Fish Creek expansion next year, the Flatboat reputation may need an update.

Any place to camp in a van near town?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot