pivot 12, 14, 15, 18

So in years past I've often bought pivot 15s or 18s for the sake of durability and beefness, but other than being heavier and having a more robust feeling toe piece, is there any difference between the models? Are the heel pieces different apart from the spring stiffness?

Cuz for some of my skis that I don't use often, I'd rather have light and cheap 12 din bindings than heavy and pricy 15/18s. What says the maggot hive mind? Is big DIN clamps nothing more than an ego boost? Or is there another difference?

I just disassembled P12, P14, and P15 heels, and the turntable part is the same between the three varieties, if that helps at all. AFAIK, the P12 and P14 are identical, so if you're running below 12 probably makes sense to just buy that.

As stated before, heels are the same, toes are different, and differ among generations of P12/14 as well.
    the P15/18 has the ability to run a different AFD if swapped out to support GW/WTR soles.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I ride with my DIN at 9 most days, so I guess I'll just find some 12s. Thanks yall.

12/14 have vertical release out of the toe
    15/18 do not

The difference in delta: 5mm on the metals and 2mm on the 12/14's back when it was all alpine AFD's was the only reason I went with the metal ones in the past. Not sure if there is a difference in the GW era but as someone highly sensitive to ramp this was a deal breaker for me. I'd imagine most don't care, just pointing out it may be a consideration for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    The difference in delta: 5mm on the metals and 2mm on the 12/14's back when it was all alpine AFD's was the only reason I went with the metal ones in the past. Not sure if there is a difference in the GW era but as someone highly sensitive to ramp this was a deal breaker for me. I'd imagine most don't care, just pointing out it may be a consideration for some.
    See I like my toes leveled to 0 ramp, so the 2mm ramp is my preference anyway

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    12/14 have vertical release out of the toe
    15/18 do not
    I am 99% sure they do release vertically out of the toe, it’s just a far steeper cam angle, thus much much harder to release vertically. Same with the 12-14, it requires engagement of both wings to release vertically.

If you have a set of 15-18 mounted, turn the din down to 8, and put them on a low table/floor, and push down on the forward end of the toe piece. The back will kick up, which is how the vertical release works, it’s just not at all equal in force requirements.

FWIW, this is from the look website for the 15:

LOOK is the only binding brand to develop a true mechanical upward release that functions independently from the heel for the most effective 180⁰ MULTI DIRECTIONAL RELEASE in the instance of a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    See I like my toes leveled to 0 ramp, so the 2mm ramp is my preference anyway
    New 15s are 1mm ramp... I just bought and installed a pair last week.

This is consistent with what blister says in the binding shootout page.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...-binding-guide

They also say that 1mm ramp is the same on the 12 and 14 but I don't own any of those so I cannot confirm... but the 15 is definitely 1mm with the grip walk version.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I'm just popping in to say I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

I am 99% sure they do release vertically out of the toe, it’s just a far steeper cam angle, thus much much harder to release vertically. Same with the 12-14, it requires engagement of both wings to release vertically.

If you have a set of 15-18 mounted, turn the din down to 8, and put them on a low table/floor, and push down on the forward end of the toe piece. The back will kick up, which is how the vertical release works, it’s just not at all equal in force requirements.
    They have some vertical elasticity, but not enough to release.

Ya but try that test with your boot clicked in, can you get the boot to release? I can’t, there is not enough vertical movement in the toepiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    New 15s are 1mm ramp... I just bought and installed a pair last week.

This is consistent with what blister says in the binding shootout page.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...-binding-guide

They also say that 1mm ramp is the same on the 12 and 14 but I don't own any of those so I cannot confirm... but the 15 is definitely 1mm with the grip walk version.
    The grip walk afd on the 15/18 is a new development on the pivot scene so you’re both correct.

I prefer the gw afd on most skis.

If I’m not mistaken the metal toes (15 & 18) actually pivot to release whereas the lower DIN toes release via the wings

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    They have some vertical elasticity, but not enough to release.
    Correct, there needs to be at least some lateral motion to actually release. They cannot release purely vertically. This is good for some skiers and bad for others.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    If I’m not mistaken the metal toes (15 & 18) actually pivot to release whereas the lower DIN toes release via the wings
    Also correct, the entire housing pivots.