Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Unique Spirits & Cocktails

I just saw a video talking about the Cynar Flip. Sounds interesting. Never had Cynar, but before I invest in some of these more unusual ingredients, was wondering if any of you have tried it? With Thanksgiving coming up, thought it might be fun to try out some new stuff with the fam.

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/cynar-flip/
    Ingredients
    1 ounce Alberta Premium Canadian whisky
    1 ounce Cynar
    1/2 ounce Cointreau
    1/4 ounce clove simple syrup*
    1 whole egg
    1 dash The Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas’ Own Decanter bitters

Steps
    Add all the ingredients to a shaker with ice and shake. [I've seen some recommend dry shaking the egg first]
    Strain and serve in a coupe.

*Clove simple syrup: Bring cloves [to taste] to simmer in water. Turn off heat, and mix in sugar at 1:1 ratio to water.

What even IS this stuff? Artichoke liqueur? I don't know about that, but I guess I'm willing to give anything a try.

Another one I tried out recently was the "Busted Pipe" cocktail. It's a bourbon based drink with Amaro Nonino. A bittersweet, brandy based liqueur and new addition to my cabinet. It's super simple to make, pretty tasty and definitely interesting. Maybe kinda like a Manhattan without the vermouth or bitters. Anybody else tried it before?

https://www.thespeckledpalate.com/bu...maro-cocktail/
    Ingredients
    1 ½ oz. Amaro Nonino
    1 ½ oz. bourbon
    1 luxardo cherry
    1 lemon twist

Instructions
    Place your large ice cube in a glass.
    Pour in the amaro.
    Pour in the same amount of bourbon.
    Garnish with the luxardo cherry and lemon twist.
    Stir with a spoon, then enjoy immediately.

Cynar is an amaro similar to Campari. It does have artichoke in it, but it’s not a main ingredient. You’d never know it was there from the flavor, even knowing that it’s there.

Can obviously be used in cocktails that call for it, but is also good in things that call for Campari like Negroni or Americano.

You can usually tell if cynar is in a drink if it’s not being used for underlying bitterness. It has a bit of sweet so there are better options if you need straight bitter. Try a boulevardier with rye, cynar, and Montenegro. Lavender bitters.

There is a cynar 70 proof as well. Both are considered a bartender’s handshake, I prefer the flavor of the lower proof. Don Ciccio out of DC makes a carciofo that is also fun.

Cynar plays really well with spiced rum and maple simple.

Your flip needs to be dry shaken. It’s not optional but you should experiment with the dry shake first or last. I would wet shake with less cubes than you would for a regular sour.

Good luck finding nonino in America these days. Paper Plane is the modern classic:
    Equal parts
    Bourbon
    Nonino
    Aperol
    Lemon

Also, you like brandy.

I would find a bottle of Applejack Bonded. Way different than regular Applejack.

There’s a whole book about Amaro cocktails published recently worth a gander title Amaro: blah blah)

Theres an old Gentlemens drink companion that has very classic drink recipes https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemans-Co.../dp/1626541132

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    You can usually tell if cynar is in a drink if it’s not being used for underlying bitterness. It has a bit of sweet so there are better options if you need straight bitter. Try a boulevardier with rye, cynar, and Montenegro. Lavender bitters.

There is a cynar 70 proof as well. Both are considered a bartender’s handshake, I prefer the flavor of the lower proof. Don Ciccio out of DC makes a carciofo that is also fun.

Your flip needs to be dry shaken. It’s not optional but you should experiment with the dry shake first or last. I would wet shake with less cubes than you would for a regular sour.

Good luck finding nonino in America these days. Paper Plane is the modern classic:
    Equal parts
    Bourbon
    Nonino
    Aperol
    Lemon

Also, you like brandy.

I would find a bottle of Applejack Bonded. Way different than regular Applejack.
    First time I had a Paper Plane was at the Violet Hour in Chicago during the pre-kid era, and again at Little Branch in NYC (still my favorite cocktail bar of all time). I was pleased to see its now the namesake of a cocktail bar here in ATL.

What a great drink. I haven’t had one in years.
    I still call it The Jake.

One of my favorite fall/winter drinks is from a bar in Boise that I think doesn’t exist anymore.

Pear Vodka
    Herb Cordial
    Lime
    Bitters

Serve up in a coupe with a champagne floater and a rosemary garnish

The Paper Plane is a regular in my house. We’ve been using this local Amaro:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	434472

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Cynar is an amaro similar to Campari. It does have artichoke in it, but it’s not a main ingredient. You’d never know it was there from the flavor, even knowing that it’s there.

Can obviously be used in cocktails that call for it, but is also good in things that call for Campari like Negroni or Americano.
    Interesting. I've never even HEARD of it before yesterday. Worth picking up a bottle? It's only ~$30 at my local shop, but just seems so specific, but then again maybe it's actually kind of versatile if I can use it in lieu of Campari.

On the topic of appertifs in cocktails, I'm a big fan of a Brooklyn, a more bitter Manhattan.

2 ounces rye whiskey
    1 ounce dry vermouth
    1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
    1/4 ounce Amer Picon (or 1/4 ounce Bigallet China-China Amer or 2 dashes Angostura bitters)
    Garnish: Luxardo maraschino cherry

Problem is, I can never find Amer Picon around me anymore for whatever reason. Total Wine says they have it on their website, but they never do.
    I still call it The Jake.

Were you a bartender back in Bozeman, ghost? Most impressive booze knowledge!!! [furiously taking notes over here]

Got it. That's what I had read on a couple sites, so now with your corroboration, I'll do it that way.

Good luck finding nonino in America these days.
    Thankfully finding the Nonino was no trouble. I was specifically looking for it based on a recommendation, and ended up finding it at no less than 3 of my nearby stores. Then when I went to pick up the bottle, they were not only well stocked on the Nonino, but probably had at least half a dozen other Amaros to choose from.

Paper Plane is the modern classic:
    Equal parts
    Bourbon
    Nonino
    Aperol
    Lemon
    Ooh! While I've heard of them, I've never had a Paper Airplane before. Now that I have the Nonino, I'll have to give it a go!

Also, you like brandy.

Been wanting to try some of that! I'll pick up some of the bonded for sure! Should be excellent this time of year. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    One of my favorite fall/winter drinks is from a bar in Boise that I think doesn’t exist anymore.

Pear Vodka
    Herb Cordial
    Lime
    Bitters

Serve up in a coupe with a champagne floater and a rosemary garnish
    That sounds really good! Might have to try that out sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    First time I had a Paper Plane was at the Violet Hour in Chicago during the pre-kid era, and again at Little Branch in NYC (still my favorite cocktail bar of all time). I was pleased to see its now the namesake of a cocktail bar here in ATL.

What a great drink. I haven’t had one in years.
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Ok, that does it. That's THREE votes already for the Paper Plane. Will definitely be making some this weekend. Can't believe I've never had one before. Thus the very purpose of this thread!!!

Mentioned in Bmills post but Luxardo Maraschino liqueur to go along with the cherries. Rothman and Winter Creme de Violette is another liqueur I don't see used that often. Both are in the Aviation which is a favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    On the topic of appertifs in cocktails, I'm a big fan of a Brooklyn, a more bitter Manhattan.

2 ounces rye whiskey
    1 ounce dry vermouth
    1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
    1/4 ounce Amer Picon (or 1/4 ounce Bigallet China-China Amer or 2 dashes Angostura bitters)
    Garnish: Luxardo maraschino cherry

Problem is, I can never find Amer Picon around me anymore for whatever reason. Total Wine says they have it on their website, but they never do.
    Find a Basque restaurant and see if they'll sell you a bottle.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	434472
    The distiller is a friend. You should try the rest of his stuff, it's pretty amazing. He has a facility in WVC and gives tours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Mentioned in Bmills post but Luxardo Maraschino liqueur to go along with the cherries. Rothman and Winter Creme de Violette is another liqueur I don't see used that often. Both are in the Aviation which is a favorite.
    Luxardo is also great for pastries

the amaro book I mentioned
    https://www.amazon.com/Amaro-Spirited-Bittersweet-Liqueurs-Cocktails/dp/1607747480/

also has some decent recipes to make your own (small problem is the require a bunch of weird herbs whatever you won’t use for much else)

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Luxardo is also great for pastries

the amaro book I mentioned
    https://www.amazon.com/Amaro-Spirited-Bittersweet-Liqueurs-Cocktails/dp/1607747480/

also has some decent recipes to make your own (small problem is the require a bunch of weird herbs whatever you won’t use for much else)
    Luxardo also used the in ‘improved whiskey cocktail’ (improved on the old fashioned:

Name:	34A8F80D-08FB-4F90-BE89-F23E6A9BB8CC.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	434510

A few years ago work was slow for a while so in my spare time I made a cocktail database in Microsoft Access. Can filter for ingredients on hand, drink category, and recipe source, and can search the recipes themselves, to find ones with Cynar for example.

If you have Access, have at it:

https://we.tl/t-27zwAVrwfz (wetransfer download link, good for 7 days)

Liquorama.com

If you live in a state that taxes the fuck out of your booze you should know about this place if you don't already.
    Example: here in WA a bottle of Campari is shelf-priced at around $30. By the time you walk out the door its closer to $42. Fucked up.

I order a case of almost all amaros and/or oddball liqueurs two or three times a year as we go through a lot of Campari/Cynar etc. They usually have some hard to find stuff too, and the pricing is decent.

$25 to ship a case, tiny taxes, and it gets here in a couple of days. Literally hundreds saved every time I order. Big fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    The distiller is a friend. You should try the rest of his stuff, it's pretty amazing. He has a facility in WVC and gives tours.
    Right on, I'll look for his other stuff.

Just tried the paper plane for the first time. Pretty damn good, in a dangerous sort of way

a bit of the Alps in a bottle
    Name:  genepi.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  81.7 KB

I was in Austria (Kappl) a few years back when Thing 3 was in junior worlds. Was in a bar one night with some pals and the proprietor introduced us to this, except it was a friend-made unlabeled bottle that he went to the cellar to retrieve. Good shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Finally got around to making the Cynar Flip last night. REALLY interesting beverage! It's tough to describe. Flavors just kind of come out of left field and probably thanks to the egg (dry shaken first), the texture is velvety and drink is mellow. The bitter spice flavors are really well balanced out by the other ingredients. Perfect drink for the holidays because it has kind of a "Christmasy" flavor without being overly sweet and heavy. I love me some eggnog and all, but I can only take so much sweets throughout the day, ya know? The Cynar Flip is a great complement to holiday day drinking. I still can't quite put a finger on the Cynar itself. Tried it on its own and it's tasty and super interesting, but my brain just still can't quite interpret WTF it even is or tastes like. Haha.

The clove simple syrup I made turned out really freaking good, and now I have a jar full I can use for other drinks. One last bonus is that the recommended Bitter Truth brand "Jerry Thomas’ Own Decanter" bitters I picked up for this is a damn good bitters, and I've been trying it in some other whiskey based drinks with great results. I would definitely recommend it over my traditional Angostura, so I'm glad I finally branched out.