Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Color me intrigued ..... since I've got a bottle of Blanco that I don't know what to do with. How any one could think a margarita should be made with Blanco is beyond me.

try a blanco Negroni too
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Color me intrigued ..... since I've got a bottle of Blanco that I don't know what to do with. How any one could think a margarita should be made with Blanco is beyond me.
    I guess if you’re using a mix, it doesn’t matter much. For the “Cadillac” recipe (tequila, Grand Marnier, lime), I stick with reposado.

I tried to buy mint yesterday, not realizing today is the derby. No luck. All the fools who make mint juleps only one day of the year cleaned it out. Current status instead:

Paper plane?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Paper plane?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I don’t think I’ve ever had a cocktail with Fernet Branca that was better than ‘tolerable’. Admittedly, my sample size is pretty small, but I don’t think you’re missing out on much by not having it.
    The one fernet drink that I’ve found can pass the ‘tolerable’ benchmark is called a Hanky Panky, it’s a sweet martini with enough fernet to add some funk but not so much to blow out the gin and vermouth. Worth a try if you’ve got a bottle of fernet on hand and can’t figure out how to get rid of it.

Wouldn’t go acquire a bottle just for the purpose unless you’re a herbal liqueur sicko, and if you are you probably already have a bottle on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    The one fernet drink that I’ve found can pass the ‘tolerable’ benchmark is called a Hanky Panky, it’s a sweet martini with enough fernet to add some funk but not so much to blow out the gin and vermouth. Worth a try if you’ve got a bottle of fernet on hand and can’t figure out how to get rid of it.

Wouldn’t go acquire a bottle just for the purpose unless you’re a herbal liqueur sicko, and if you are you probably already have a bottle on hand.

I do have Fernet, so I’ll give it a try. Any recommendations on proportions? I see 1-1/2:1-1/2 and 2:1, gin:vermouth. Also 1/4t, 1/2 t, or barspoon fernet.

I’d try all the variations on my own, but worried the result may only be tolerable…

Ounce and a half of each of the gin and sweet vermouth, quarter to a half ounce of fernet depending on how spunky ya feel!

If you’re not a fan I’m sure it’s the gin and vermouth to blame, not at all that fernet is an extremely acquired taste.

If you do like it then I’d definitely suggest the equal proportions sweet martini base for experimenting with other gnarly weird liquor! Haven’t tried it with Malort though, that might be my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Also 1/4t, 1/2 t, or barspoon fernet.
    These all sound way too small to me, but if you want to taste more of the martini and less of the mint toothpaste that hates you then I guess I wouldn’t blame you for going conservative on the fernet front.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    Question for martini enthusiasts: dry vermouth recommendations? Seems like staying away from the cheapest is the key.
    Dolin, Noilly Prat, Cinzano, Martini & Rossi
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Dolin, Noilly Prat, Cinzano, Martini & Rossi
    Noilly for brinier, drier uses

Dolin for workhorse vermouth

Vermut Lustau is my all time favorite, slightly sweeter and incredibly floral.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

My son just brought these back from Yurp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3583.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	978.5 KB 
ID:	458325
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    yikes, the last time I was in Chicago I went to some fancy James Beard nominated cocktail bar and paid $20 for a cocktail which I can only assume was basically 3 straight ounces of fernet. Even after a month of therapy I'm still not back to my usual old self. Just seeing the fernet label makes me want to go cry in the corner.

Frenet has its time and place, like sharing a shot with a bartender, or a good after dinner digestif. No reason to hate. I always have a bottle on hand to drink with a cube, rarely for cocktails, although Hanky Panky isnt bad.

Malort, you can keep that shit in Chicago with your casserole pizza and whole fkn garden on a hot dog.

We had Pimms Cups @ our Derby party to go with the Mint juleps because of the Coronation .

any other use for Pimms? about a 1/3 of a bottle left

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Noilly for brinier, drier uses

Dolin for workhorse vermouth

Vermut Lustau is my all time favorite, slightly sweeter and incredibly floral.

Always prefer French dry Vermouth. Although I had a US one last year that was good too.
    Oregon made, Ransom I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    We had Pimms Cups @ our Derby party to go with the Mint juleps because of the Coronation .

any other use for Pimms? about a 1/3 of a bottle left
    I like a Pimm’s Cup and have never looked further. I guess this reminds me to buy another bottle now that it’s warming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Always prefer French dry Vermouth. Although I had a US one last year that was good too.
    Oregon made, Ransom I think?
    meh with peace and love Ransom's vermouth tastes like orange peel and clove. 2/10, not that great.

Of course I prefer Spanish and Italian vermouth so take my opinion with a grain of salt. This is very much a Carpano household here.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I like a Pimm’s Cup and have never looked further. I guess this reminds me to buy another bottle now that it’s warming up.
    Soak fruit in pimms b4.
    We made a batch and the boozy fruit was rad

I’m in need of tequila based drink recommendations with minimal sugar additives. Day three south of the border and I think I got the diabetes.
    Tequila, rocks and what else? They got Don Julio on tap damn near so yeah it’s nice.

Tequila soda splash of grapefruit
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Unique Spirits & Cocktails

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I’m in need of tequila based drink recommendations with minimal sugar additives. Day three south of the border and I think I got the diabetes.
    Tequila, rocks and what else? They got Don Julio on tap damn near so yeah it’s nice.
    I’ve been doing mezcal neat lately and it’s kinda nice, though not as refreshing. If you do the “sip of mezcal, sip of water” it works

Paloma is a great cocktail but can be sweet depending. Same with ranch water.

You could try a tequila old fashioned or a tequila martini. Just sub the normal booze for tequila and go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    I’ve been doing mezcal neat lately and it’s kinda nice, though not as refreshing. If you do the “sip of mezcal, sip of water” it works
    Going to try with a slash of Sprite.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Tequila soda splash of grapefruit
    Gracias Senor

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Paloma is a great cocktail but can be sweet depending. Same with ranch water.

You could try a tequila old fashioned or a tequila martini. Just sub the normal booze for tequila and go nuts.
    Did try but it was too sweet. Will experiment with these tonight. Muchas garcias!