Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Staples on my sideboard:
    Campari
    Averna
    Montenegro
    Chartreuse (green)
    Luxardo

I don’t have any Aperol or Cynar at the moment. And I need to pick up an absinthe. A decent bottle will last me forever since I’ll only use it to rinse glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    One of these days when I really make it big, Imma fly ghost and tgapp out to my slopeside chalet to tend bar for me and a select group of my TGR homies. Man, those guys know their way around the liquor cabinet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ghosthop knows way more than me, he's the real expert. I will absolutely +1 his naked and famous recc though, that's one of my all time favorites.

For green chartreuse one of my go-to's is the nuclear daquiri:

1oz Jamaican white over proof rum (wray and nephew or rum fire)
    2/3oz green chartreuse
    1/2oz lime
    1/3oz velvet falernum

shake, neat, lime wedge

You can sub the velvet falernum for 1/3oz ancho reyes/ancho reyes Verde for an even spicier version, which I love.

come drink in SLC with us

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    ghosthop knows way more than me, he's the real expert. I will absolutely +1 his naked and famous recc though, that's one of my all time favorites.
    That's saying something. Yeah, you both always astound me with your next level suggestions.

come drink in SLC with us
    Thanks! Will def hit you and the crew up next time I'm in SLC.

For green chartreuse one of my go-to's is the nuclear daquiri:

1oz Jamaican white over proof rum (wray and nephew or rum fire)
    2/3oz green chartreuse
    1/2oz lime
    1/3oz velvet falernum

shake, neat, lime wedge

You can sub the velvet falernum for 1/3oz ancho reyes/ancho reyes Verde for an even spicier version, which I love.
    Fun! Ok. You guys have solidly convinced me about the next additions to my cabinet. Will pick up some Chartreuse before Christmas. I like to sugar & alcohol detox between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Haha. Speaking of sugar & alcohol, I picked up a bottle of Luxardo brand Amaretto today. Been curious how it compares to the traditional Disaronno. I've heard good things, but don't know first hand.

Another good one with the licor 43 is a Sol de limon. 1 part brandy (Spanish or other is fine) 3/4 part licor 43 and 3/4 part fresh lemon juice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Another good one with the licor 43 is a Sol de limon. 1 part brandy (Spanish or other is fine) 3/4 part licor 43 and 3/4 part fresh lemon juice
    Ooh!!! For some reason I have never thought of mixing Licor 43 with a Brandy. That makes so much sense, though. Might have to nab a good bottle from Jerez to keep it proper Spanish. Thanks for the 43 recipe. Will give it a try for sure.

Restaurant in laws are taking us to tonight has Naked and Famous on the menu.
    Don't mind if I do....

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The Butthurt (Green & Black Manhattan)
    Keyword: rye whiskey, sweet vermouth, zirbenz
    Ingredients
    1.5 oz rye whiskey
    1.5 oz Cocchi Vermouth di Torino (or another sweet vermouth)
    1 bar spoon Zirbenz
    Instructions
    Add ingredients to a mixing glass with ice.
    Stir until properly diluted (20-30 seconds).
    Strain into a rocks glass with a large ice cube. Garnish with a grapefruit peel twist.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Unique Spirits &amp; Cocktails

Another one I tried out recently was the "Busted Pipe" cocktail. It's a bourbon based drink with Amaro Nonino. A bittersweet, brandy based liqueur and new addition to my cabinet. It's super simple to make, pretty tasty and definitely interesting. Maybe kinda like a Manhattan without the vermouth or bitters. Anybody else tried it before?

https://www.thespeckledpalate.com/bu...maro-cocktail/
    Ingredients
    1 ½ oz. Amaro Nonino
    1 ½ oz. bourbon
    1 luxardo cherry
    1 lemon twist

Instructions
    Place your large ice cube in a glass.
    Pour in the amaro.
    Pour in the same amount of bourbon.
    Garnish with the luxardo cherry and lemon twist.
    Stir with a spoon, then enjoy immediately.

Replace the bourbon with rye, and tie it together with a couple dashes of black walnut bitters, and then you’ve got something.

I’d still stir it in a mixing glass rather than building it in the drinking glass.

ETA- which (minus the black walnut bitters) is apparently a David Wondrich creation called a Reanimator.
    Last edited by evasive_MT; 12-11-2022 at 11:24 AM.

I was in Spain last month and picked up a bottle of Licor 43. Mix it with some brandy and it is pretty good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5766.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	437857

Monkey 47. As in 47%

Haven't been able to buy a case of chartreuse all year. Distributor has been out of stock. Co mags, has anyone actually bought a bottle this year? I'm guessing not.

And yeah, that god damned monkey gin is tits
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

No problem finding (green) Chartreuse in Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Haven't been able to buy a case of chartreuse all year. Distributor has been out of stock. Co mags, has anyone actually bought a bottle this year? I'm guessing not.

And yeah, that god damned monkey gin is tits
    Can we be just a bit more specific here?? As compared to what standard gins? Now the were on the subject, just exactly what do tits have to do with gin?? Big and blowsy? Small single scoops? Broad based? Over balanced with juniper?!??!!?!?

Can we talk more about luxardo?
    Thinking I need it in the cabinet as well as chartreuse (might go with yellow which is usually available)

While the Rusty Nail isn't exactly an unknown drink, I always felt it could certainly be improved upon. This piece ended up in my newsfeed and it seems the author might have nailed it.

How to Upgrade a Rusty Nail, the Classic Scotch Cocktail Your Dad Loved in the ’70s
    https://robbreport.com/food-drink/sp...il-1234774310/

Instead of the typical 2:1 or 1:1 Scotch to Drambuie, he goes 4:1 and a couple dashes of orange bitters. I'll need to give that a shot! I always loved the flavor of a Rusty Nail, but did find it a bit too much on the syrupy sweet side. Thoughts on this guy's take?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Can we talk more about luxardo?
    Thinking I need it in the cabinet as well as chartreuse (might go with yellow which is usually available)
    Yes

You need luxardo

/thread

--

Seriously, it is wildly versatile and makes everything better. They don't call it bartenders ketchup for nothing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Yes

You need luxardo

/thread
    Indeed. Been meaning to pick up another bottle. However, I try and keep my stash limited to one little cabinet, so I run out of room fast. Makes it fun to try new things as I cycle through unique stuff along with the seasons, but it's a challenge too. I feel like I should only store so many herbal liqueurs, ya know? Haha.

While the Rusty Nail isn't exactly an unknown drink, I always felt it could certainly be improved upon. This piece ended up in my newsfeed and it seems the author might have nailed it.

How to Upgrade a Rusty Nail, the Classic Scotch Cocktail Your Dad Loved in the ’70s
    https://robbreport.com/food-drink/sp...il-1234774310/

Instead of the typical 2:1 or 1:1 Scotch to Drambuie, he goes 4:1 and a couple dashes of orange bitters. I'll need to give that a shot! I always loved the flavor of a Rusty Nail, but did find it a bit too much on the syrupy sweet side. Thoughts on this guy's take?

Yes rusty nails are delicious but too sweet

WTF is going on with Chartreuse these days? I've checked with all my usual suppliers and NOBODY in town seems to have any, green or yellow. Attempting to restock my tiny bar as I prepare for Christmas and was looking forward to trying out some of your recipes. One store clerk told me it's been a PITA to get any for the last couple years. This been your experience too? Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled every time I go back to the store.

Haven’t had any trouble finding green in Montana this year.

Cynar was off the shelves for a while (and a bartender in Nebraska told me he had seen it in ~18 months), but that’s turning up again.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Haven’t had any trouble finding green in Montana this year.

Cynar was off the shelves for a while (and a bartender in Nebraska told me he had seen it in ~18 months), but that’s turning up again.
    Opposite here. No chartreuse but boatloads of Cynar now.

Black Manhattan:
    2oz Rye/Bourbon ( I like Knob, Makers or Ritenhouse with this)
    1oz Averna
    splash splash bitters
    2 black maraschinos
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

WTF is going on with Chartreuse these days? I've checked with all my usual suppliers and NOBODY in town seems to have any, green or yellow. Attempting to restock my tiny bar as I prepare for Christmas and was looking forward to trying out some of your recipes. One store clerk told me it's been a PITA to get any for the last couple years. This been your experience too? Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled every time I go back to the store.

There is one bottle of yellow chartreuse in Utah. And it's in Orem. I've been looking so I could make that Naked and Famous, but it's hard to find even online.