Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I haven’t had Luxardo brand cherries for a while but I found some Sausalito brand that are a good substitute.
    You should REALLY consider trying to make them at home. About once a year, when the good stuff is in season (Bings, Black, Flatheads, etc - NOT Rainiers), we buy a flat or two from our favorite local produce wholesale distributor. Dirt cheap that way. There's a ton of good recipes online so find one that suits your taste the most and go with it. The key ingredient of course is Luxardo. Then we jar/seal 'em the old fashioned way, and we're stocked up on Christmas gifts and our own bar for the next year. I picked up a (not cheap) jar of the Luxardo™ cherries and ended up not liking them NEARLY as much. Too candied and sweet.

If you don't like syrupy sweet stuff, then rolling your own is absolutely the way to go and vastly cheaper per lb. I think our total spend ends up being about $50 and that yields like 10-20 lbs of "Luxardo Cherries." Not sure exactly, but it's a butt ton. Compare that to the $20+ you'll spend on a tiny jar of candied cherries that suck compared to your own. Trust me on this one. Once you've made 'em at home, you won't want anything else.
    Last edited by MontuckyFried; 04-27-2023 at 11:21 AM.

Wait ..... Raineers?!?!? How can a cherry with no flavor be usable in ....... ANYTHING???

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Wait ..... Raineers?!?!? How can a cherry with no flavor be usable in ....... ANYTHING???
    MY BAD! You're right. The Rainiers are those yellowish ones. We do NOT use those. Perhaps I meant Bing and black cherries. We always use dark cherries. NOT Rainiers. Those would not make good cocktail cherries. Will edit my post.

Fernet and Malort, yeah hard pass.

I did a big hike with a buddy who bartends. After an 11 mile hike with a steep 2500ft/2mi end to a lake he pulls out airplane bottles of Fernet. I promptly threw that up and have since hated that shit.

Also as someone who grew up around Chicago I believe Malort is Chicagoans way of fucking with outsiders. Give me a fucking old style and a bourbon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

It checks out that you need a beer from Wisconsin to make a Chicago drink palatable

Ha. Well over half my family lives in Milwaukee so yeah. Damn FIB.

I'm still having a hard time believing people actually like Malort, let alone are using it to make some fucking bullshit hipster cocktails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5813.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	566.2 KB 
ID:	457200

Perry shine aged on chaga
    watch out for snakes

Engrish preeze?

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Engrish preeze?
    he put some shrooms in hooch and now he has an all in one wombo combo health and party tonic

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Ha! There's a well-known woman cocktologist here in town that has a tattoo of the Fernet label on her forarm. I always wonder what would make someone love it that much.
    Branca nailed their marketing to bartenders, the challenge coin thing got completely out of hand. But I’m not a big fan of clubs for the sake of exclusivity.

There are plenty of fernets out there, Angelico from Switzerland is my favorite. It’s worth noting that the umbrella brand that markets Angelica, Tempus Fugit, have an excellent portfolio of esoteric spirits. Vallet from Mexico is my go-to if I’m being offered a shot because its pour cost is cheaper than Branca and I find it to be much more palatable. Honorable mentions go to a Scandi Fernet that I’m blanking on right now and Luxardo’s Fernet.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Branca nailed their marketing to bartenders, the challenge coin thing got completely out of hand. But I’m not a big fan of clubs for the sake of exclusivity.

There are plenty of fernets out there, Angelico from Switzerland is my favorite. It’s worth noting that the umbrella brand that markets Angelica, Tempus Fugit, have an excellent portfolio of esoteric spirits. Vallet from Mexico is my go-to if I’m being offered a shot because its pour cost is cheaper than Branca and I find it to be much more palatable. Honorable mentions go to a Scandi Fernet that I’m blanking on right now and Luxardo’s Fernet.
    We're on to Fernet now? I REFUSE to purchase even one more super specific bitter herbal liqueur for a recipe. It's getting out of control. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    We're on to Fernet now? I REFUSE to purchase even one more super specific bitter herbal liqueur for a recipe. It's getting out of control. Haha.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a cocktail with Fernet Branca that was better than ‘tolerable’. Admittedly, my sample size is pretty small, but I don’t think you’re missing out on much by not having it.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I don’t think I’ve ever had a cocktail with Fernet Branca that was better than ‘tolerable’. Admittedly, my sample size is pretty small, but I don’t think you’re missing out on much by not having it.
    Honestly, I give a big meh every time I have Campari. And that's a staple.

Campari is definitely one I want to like more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post

Yeah they did with the marketing. I remember seeing a coin at a great cocktail bar that doesn't exist anymore and was like what the fuck is that while the two bartenders set on getting to know each other over a shot of Fernet Branca.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Campari is definitely one I want to like more than I do.
    Campari is so nice. Maybe just pair it with more gin?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Campari is so nice. Maybe just pair it with more gin?
    I actually far prefer St George's Bruto Americano to Campari and use it as a direct replacement. More complex sweetness, more dimensional bitter flavors, like Campari but better in every way.

I like a Negroni ok, but my favorite gin drink is just a martini with a twist. So cold, so crisp. Perfect.

I should definitely branch out to other Campari cocktails though.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I like a Negroni ok, but my favorite gin drink is just a martini with a twist. So cold, so crisp. Perfect.

I should definitely branch out to other Campari cocktails though.
    +200. Made with Botanist gin. That's my favorite cocktail, full stop.

I put Campari on my cereal. Bruto is a good sub, and Martini and Rossi red bitter (not Fiero) is quite nice too. A little more earthy tasting.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I actually far prefer St George's Bruto Americano to Campari and use it as a direct replacement. More complex sweetness, more dimensional bitter flavors, like Campari but better in every way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Nice work boys, way to keep the economy afloat

Name:	Image1683057651.599005.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	457903

Every little bit helps.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Nice work boys, way to keep the economy afloat

Name:	Image1683057651.599005.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	457903
    You’re welcome. Espolon tequila is a big contributor to their growth too

Question for martini enthusiasts: dry vermouth recommendations? Seems like staying away from the cheapest is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    Question for martini enthusiasts: dry vermouth recommendations? Seems like staying away from the cheapest is the key.
    Dolin

Unique Spirits & Cocktails

If you don’t want a margarita for cinco de mayo, why not try a tequila martini? I don’t love pickles, but I would fuck with the rest of it.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRwGf8nh/

2 oz blanco tequila
    1 oz vermouth
    3 bar spoons pickle brine
    Lemon twist