Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Black Manhattan:
    2oz Rye/Bourbon ( I like Knob, Makers or Ritenhouse with this)
    1oz Averna
    splash splash bitters
    2 black maraschinos
    Sipping one now. It’s become a go-to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5976.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	439314

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post

Name:	IMG_5976.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	439314
    Botanist is my all time favorite dry gin. Amazing stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

These went over smashingly at a holiday party this evening:

https://www.hendricksgin.com/us/cocktail/festivus-fizz/

In Amsterdam, Bols Genever is not fkn around...

Not unique but I'm on a old pal/boulevardier kick

1/2oz bourbon
    1/2oz rye
    1oz campari
    1oz sweet vermouth. (been swapping Antica and Dolin)
    is this thing on?

A buddy of mine has just released his first bourbon under the name of Jack Larkin Bourbon. Right now, it may be available only around Yountville. Not available in UT, but I'd love to sip some.
    He also makes a great boutique Cab Franc.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 8.35.51 AM.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	462.4 KB 
ID:	439402
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    A buddy of mine has just released his first bourbon under the name of Jack Larkin Bourbon. Right now, it may be available only around Yountville. Not available in UT, but I'd love to sip some.
    He also makes a great boutique Cab Franc.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 8.35.51 AM.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	462.4 KB 
ID:	439402
    Where do we sign up for the free samples?

I'm working on that. I think that if you are in Yountville and see Sean, and make a joke about skiing at Hunter, he will be happy to throw a few back with you
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I have a Chartreuse question. Theoretically, if I were to stumble upon some by chance, what is the difference between the green and yellow? Also are they pretty much interchangeable for recipes that call for the stuff?

Quick and dirty explanation in my opinion... Green is bigger, bolder, comes in at 55%. Yellow is softer, sweeter, 40%.
    is this thing on?

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnuts01 View Post
    Quick and dirty explanation in my opinion... Green is bigger, bolder, comes in at 55%. Yellow is softer, sweeter, 40%.
    So is it ultimately just dealer's choice as to which one you use for a recipe? Wish I could do a taste test, but I'd be lucky if I can even FIND a bottle of either kind. Maybe I can find a nice bartender at a fine establishment that would let me sample the wares before committing to a $60-70 bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    So is it ultimately just dealer's choice as to which one you use for a recipe? Wish I could do a taste test, but I'd be lucky if I can even FIND a bottle of either kind. Maybe I can find a nice bartender at a fine establishment that would let me sample the wares before committing to a $60-70 bottle.
    No absolutely not. Its not like different bitter liqueurs that can be sometimes mixed and matched and replaced etc.
    A recipe calling for 1/2oz yellow chartreuse and having it replaced with 1/2oz green will be completely overpowered, and vice versa.
    As mentioned above, green is a heavy drinker, for me borderline unsippable (especially more than 1oz), yellow is just nice, sweet, soft with herbacious notes.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    No absolutely not. Its not like different bitter liqueurs that can be sometimes mixed and matched and replaced etc.
    A recipe calling for 1/2oz yellow chartreuse and having it replaced with 1/2oz green will be completely overpowered, and vice versa.
    As mentioned above, green is a heavy drinker, for me borderline unsippable (especially more than 1oz), yellow is just nice, sweet, soft with herbacious notes.
    I see! That makes the entire Chartreuse shortage all the more frustrating. Also kind of spendy to properly stock ye old bar with both kinds.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

I see! That makes the entire Chartreuse shortage all the more frustrating. Also kind of spendy to properly stock ye old bar with both kinds.

If you’re going to choose just one, I’d go green. I use it way more than yellow, like about 10x as much.

Opposite here. No chartreuse but boatloads of Cynar now.

liquorama.net has yellow, and Cynar
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Last Word cocktail calls for Green. I like to do a mezcal version but I found the green is too much for that particular cocktail so I use yellow. Just gotta get both! They'll last you a long time.
    is this thing on?

Name:	69343408908__77C29AA7-B086-46C2-A230-F8871F16BF31.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	439433

Working on a clarified lime cordial right now. Going to make a clarified mezcal “margarita” should be fun

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    is this thing on?

Not spirit-related, but this cold snap is a nice opportunity to make clear ice outside. It saves having to clear a hole for a cooler in the bottom of my chest freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Not spirit-related, but this cold snap is a nice opportunity to make clear ice outside. It saves having to clear a hole for a cooler in the bottom of my chest freezer.
    Nice! I should do that too! I'm a sucker for some good quality clear ice.

Bout to get my egg nog on. I always love the flavor of a good nog but it's too sweet and rich so I normally like to mix with a hefty amount of bourbon. That said, I want some tips on how to kick it up a notch this year. I read about doing it with Amaro? Anybody here done that? Go 1/2 bourbon, 1/2 Amaro, or just straight Amaro?

Also, read about using things like Amaretto, Kahlua, Peppermint Schnapps, and a couple other misc spirits. What sayeth ye masters of the nog?

Bout to get my egg nog on. I always love the flavor of a good nog but it's too sweet and rich so I normally like to mix with a hefty amount of bourbon. That said, I want some tips on how to kick it up a notch this year. I read about doing it with Amaro? Anybody here done that? Go 1/2 bourbon, 1/2 Amaro, or just straight Amaro?

Also, read about using things like Amaretto, Kahlua, Peppermint Schnapps, and a couple other misc spirits. What sayeth ye masters of the nog?

Are you talking store-bought nog? If you are, you should step it up and make your own nog.

There's a nog thread you should participate in.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Are you talking store-bought nog? If you are, you should step it up and make your own nog.

There's a nog thread you should participate in.
    No way. Wife made a batch tonight. She makes the best! Just finished chilling it on the back deck and I'm ready to get to mixing.

1st attempt. 3/4 oz Amaro, 3/4 oz bourbon (Wild Turkey 101 in this case), and maybe around 4 oz of nog. Really freaking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnuts01 View Post
    Last Word cocktail calls for Green. I like to do a mezcal version but I found the green is too much for that particular cocktail so I use yellow. Just gotta get both! They'll last you a long time.
    Do the last word (or any variant) in 1(gin/mezcal/whatever) to .75 citrus to .5 luxardo and .5 chartreuse.

Much much tastier

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk