Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 161
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    cottonwood heights
    Posts
    1,443
    We had a Liter of Southern Comfort before a concert years ago(monsters of rock w metallica '89)

    didn't want to drink it straight >so on a hunch we mixed it with a liter of Root Beer>it tasted like MAGIC!

    50/50 >Southern Comfort - Root Beer

    i'm sure you can strengthen it for a harder kick
    .................................................. ......................................
    I got so fkd up I thought I lost my ticket ! >it was in my pocket/didn't miss any of the show

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    10,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    For Paper Plane fans, here’s a clarified Paper Plane milk punch cocktail.

    https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRCkPsk9/

    This woman won the world bartending championship a few years ago and has a ton of very cool cocktails on her channel.
    WOW!!! That looks outstanding! I have NEVER even thought remotely along those lines. I mean, just that one video alone introduces so many great ideas, ie the 20% pre-dilution, adding milk then letting it curdle, the straining through a coffee filter, etc. Boom. Big batch of a chilled cocktail ready to serve en masse. I am DEFINITELY going to make that Christmas week.

    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Damn hell yeah, as soon as my liver's back that's going on my shortlist
    Lol. I hear ya. You just chilling out after Thanksgiving week or are you talking something more serious? Personally, I'm gonna dry out for the next few weeks since Christmas is right around the corner. Then go dry and healthy again come January. The alcohol isn't the only problem. I'd argue the increased sugar intake from the Holidays is just as bad! Haha. But both in conjunction's a recipe for not feeling so great. Especially egg nog + bourbon/rum, pies, cookies, wine, cocktails, etc non-stop for days. It's fun for a while but it sure does wear on ya quickly. It's no wonder New Year's Resolutions are a thing.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    8,075
    I was out of Amoro this weekend so made a Paper Plane with Ancho Reyes Chile liquor. Was decent.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,813
    Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    We had a Liter of Southern Comfort before a concert years ago(monsters of rock w metallica '89)

    didn't want to drink it straight >so on a hunch we mixed it with a liter of Root Beer>it tasted like MAGIC!

    50/50 >Southern Comfort - Root Beer

    i'm sure you can strengthen it for a harder kick
    .................................................. ......................................
    I got so fkd up I thought I lost my ticket ! >it was in my pocket/didn't miss any of the show
    We did this once on a whim with 50% margarita/50% negra modelo. Don't knock it without trying it first.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    3,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Oh shit. I didnít even think about that. How long are you off the booze for?
    Ehh I'm sticking my toes back in the water but pretty slowly. Team says that my liver enzymes are in the healthy range for a full-organed person my age, but I still lack the same number of hepatocytes as a normal person (the parenchymal cells that metabolize shit in your liver) - so, while I can drink (per their recommendations, in serious moderation), alcohol hits me about three times harder.

    This theory checks out as I had a half a Sam Smith beer over Thanksgiving and got pretty fucked up. I'm used to being a light weight (at 155lbs sopping wet) but this is a whole new level. So unless I am making cocktails for ants, it's not very practical.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    10,276
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Ehh I'm sticking my toes back in the water but pretty slowly. Team says that my liver enzymes are in the healthy range for a full-organed person my age, but I still lack the same number of hepatocytes as a normal person (the parenchymal cells that metabolize shit in your liver) - so, while I can drink (per their recommendations, in serious moderation), alcohol hits me about three times harder.

    This theory checks out as I had a half a Sam Smith beer over Thanksgiving and got pretty fucked up. I'm used to being a light weight (at 155lbs sopping wet) but this is a whole new level. So unless I am making cocktails for ants, it's not very practical.
    Bummer. Yeah, should def take it easy then. Is there hope of being able to recover your original hepatocyte capacity? It's my understanding that with the right diet, exercise, lots of water, watching it with prescription drugs, and of course abstaining from alcohol for a while, our livers can actually bounce back pretty well. I just don't know about those finer details like the ability to metabolize everything in the long run. Best of luck on your liver's full recovery!

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    12,871
    Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    We had a Liter of Southern Comfort before a concert years ago(monsters of rock w metallica '89)

    didn't want to drink it straight >so on a hunch we mixed it with a liter of Root Beer>it tasted like MAGIC!

    50/50 >Southern Comfort - Root Beer

    i'm sure you can strengthen it for a harder kick
    .................................................. ......................................
    I got so fkd up I thought I lost my ticket ! >it was in my pocket/didn't miss any of the show
    Root beer mixes well with Crown or Black Velvet as well. If youíre cheap use McNaughtanís


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    10,276
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Root beer mixes well with Crown or Black Velvet as well. If you’re cheap use McNaughtan’s
    I've attempted root beer with a few things and about the only thing I've liked was when combined with a vanilla vodka. I called it a "root beer float." Tasty! Been like 20 years since I used to make that though, so not sure how much I'd like it these days as I've been doing less and less sweet the older I get. Might need to revisit that one... for research purposes of course.

    Speaking of sweet, have any of you ever tried the "chocolate cake shot"? It's simple. 1 part Frangelico, 1 part vanilla vodka. Most say to dip a lemon wedge in sugar, but I'd usually slice up a ton of lemon wedges and put them in a tupperware container with sugar and let it really soak in and get nice and gelatinous. Do the shot, suck on the lemon, and it tastes just like chocolate cake. Weird, but super tasty, and is ALWAYS a crowd pleaser with teh ladies.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    3,418
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Bummer. Yeah, should def take it easy then. Is there hope of being able to recover your original hepatocyte capacity? It's my understanding that with the right diet, exercise, lots of water, watching it with prescription drugs, and of course abstaining from alcohol for a while, our livers can actually bounce back pretty well. I just don't know about those finer details like the ability to metabolize everything in the long run. Best of luck on your liver's full recovery!
    Yeah I'll be back to normal in a few months. Not stressed about it - just taking things as they come. Chocolate cake shots are delicious though, no two ways about it.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    10,276
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Yeah I'll be back to normal in a few months. Not stressed about it - just taking things as they come. Chocolate cake shots are delicious though, no two ways about it.
    Right on. Glad you and your liver should be ok!

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    9,574
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Ehh I'm sticking my toes back in the water but pretty slowly. Team says that my liver enzymes are in the healthy range for a full-organed person my age, but I still lack the same number of hepatocytes as a normal person (the parenchymal cells that metabolize shit in your liver) - so, while I can drink (per their recommendations, in serious moderation), alcohol hits me about three times harder.

    This theory checks out as I had a half a Sam Smith beer over Thanksgiving and got pretty fucked up. I'm used to being a light weight (at 155lbs sopping wet) but this is a whole new level. So unless I am making cocktails for ants, it's not very practical.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Luckily you live in Utah so you can order a martini and itís still only 1.5 oz of booze

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    12,667
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    First time I had a Paper Plane was at the Violet Hour in Chicago during the pre-kid era, and again at Little Branch in NYC (still my favorite cocktail bar of all time). I was pleased to see its now the namesake of a cocktail bar here in ATL.

    What a great drink. I havenít had one in years.
    Love a good Paper Plane, most bars have a version of it these days.

    The Sporting CLub at the Omni Boston at the Seaport has a good version called "like a bos" high west american prairie bourbon / amaro nonino / aperol / fresh lemon
    Was at an event there a few weeks back and it was all I wanted

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    12,667
    And every gentleman should have Campari in his liquor cabinet so yo ucan make a guest a Negroni, or as I often make a great cocktail with a douchy name the Boulevardier which is basically a Negroni with Bourbon or Rye instead of Gin.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    12,667
    And speaking of Unique Spirits, any Chartreuse fans in the house? Yellow or green, its always been the " oh you want a shot do ya" option. Brutal Erics in Aspen used to go through it by the case. Actually was in ther one night when the distributer told Fritz & Fred that they consumed more Chartreuse than any other bar in the Western US!

    Never felt the need to have a bottle on hand.

    Frenet though I like to have around for the medicinal value and if I feel the need for a Hanky Panky
    2 parts Gin, 2 parts Sweet Vermouth 1 part Frenet

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    12,667
    OK old timers, what was that AWFUL stuff that one of the Euro ( Dutch) mags visiting brought to a huge party at Frozenwaters place. This was likely 2003ish? Passed it around and it was awful.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    And speaking of Unique Spirits, any Chartreuse fans in the house? Yellow or green, its always been the " oh you want a shot do ya" option. Brutal Erics in Aspen used to go through it by the case. Actually was in ther one night when the distributer told Fritz & Fred that they consumed more Chartreuse than any other bar in the Western US!

    Never felt the need to have a bottle on hand.

    Frenet though I like to have around for the medicinal value and if I feel the need for a Hanky Panky
    2 parts Gin, 2 parts Sweet Vermouth 1 part Frenet
    Love green Chartreuse. I make a mash up of a Last Word and a smoky Margarita:

    2oz Mezcal (or Tequila, or split half-half)
    3/4 oz Green Chartreuse
    3/4oz fresh lime juice
    1/4-1/2 oz simple syrup

    can add a few dashes of smoked chili bitters or orange bitters If desired.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    8,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    OK old timers, what was that AWFUL stuff that one of the Euro ( Dutch) mags visiting brought to a huge party at Frozenwaters place. This was likely 2003ish? Passed it around and it was awful.
    Is that the night that led to the Truth debauchery? I have very vague memories.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    12,503
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Is that the night that led to the Truth debauchery? I have very vague memories.
    That was a hell of a night. And yes, that was quite loud, or should I say she was.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    12,667
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Is that the night that led to the Truth debauchery? I have very vague memories.
    there may have been 3 wheeler stunts

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    12,667
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Love green Chartreuse. I make a mash up of a Last Word and a smoky Margarita:

    2oz Mezcal (or Tequila, or split half-half)
    3/4 oz Green Chartreuse
    3/4oz fresh lime juice
    1/4-1/2 oz simple syrup

    can add a few dashes of smoked chili bitters or orange bitters If desired.
    I need to come to your house

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    13,152
    1st time i mets the ghost hop it invovled skiin round big ski in a mag posse on harrys hut tour with chartreuse and shrooms and he made tastey chartruse coladas at tfws shindig.

    If one of you mags in a mur weeds and booze friendly state than zion could find me a bottle of

    our annual 4/20 fish bake would be mo better
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,272
    One of the great hacks that gained awareness from Death & Co is that yellow Chartreuse is about the same sweetness as simple.

    For the Last Word and Paper Plane fans with access to yellow, Naked and Famous is the modern classic

    Equal parts
    Mezcal
    Aperol
    Yellow Chartreuse
    Lime juice

    Many like to play with the Aperol component although you have to mess with your ratios as well.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    8,075
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    One of the great hacks that gained awareness from Death & Co is that yellow Chartreuse is about the same sweetness as simple.

    For the Last Word and Paper Plane fans with access to yellow, Naked and Famous is the modern classic

    Equal parts
    Mezcal
    Aperol
    Yellow Chartreuse
    Lime juice

    Many like to play with the Aperol component although you have to mess with your ratios as well.
    Iíll definitely try that. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    10,276
    One of these days when I really make it big, Imma fly ghost and tgapp out to my slopeside chalet to tend bar for me and a select group of my TGR homies. Man, those guys know their way around the liquor cabinet.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    be here now
    Posts
    5,266
    Mezcal Negroni
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •