Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 320
  1. #226
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,516
    Color me intrigued ..... since I've got a bottle of Blanco that I don't know what to do with. How any one could think a margarita should be made with Blanco is beyond me.

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,348
    try a blanco Negroni too
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    999
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Color me intrigued ..... since I've got a bottle of Blanco that I don't know what to do with. How any one could think a margarita should be made with Blanco is beyond me.
    I guess if youíre using a mix, it doesnít matter much. For the ďCadillacĒ recipe (tequila, Grand Marnier, lime), I stick with reposado.

    I tried to buy mint yesterday, not realizing today is the derby. No luck. All the fools who make mint juleps only one day of the year cleaned it out. Current status instead:


  4. #229
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,657
    Paper plane?

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    999
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Paper plane?

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I donít think Iíve ever had a cocktail with Fernet Branca that was better than Ďtolerableí. Admittedly, my sample size is pretty small, but I donít think youíre missing out on much by not having it.
    The one fernet drink that Iíve found can pass the Ďtolerableí benchmark is called a Hanky Panky, itís a sweet martini with enough fernet to add some funk but not so much to blow out the gin and vermouth. Worth a try if youíve got a bottle of fernet on hand and canít figure out how to get rid of it.

    Wouldnít go acquire a bottle just for the purpose unless youíre a herbal liqueur sicko, and if you are you probably already have a bottle on hand.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4,939
    Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    The one fernet drink that Iíve found can pass the Ďtolerableí benchmark is called a Hanky Panky, itís a sweet martini with enough fernet to add some funk but not so much to blow out the gin and vermouth. Worth a try if youíve got a bottle of fernet on hand and canít figure out how to get rid of it.

    Wouldnít go acquire a bottle just for the purpose unless youíre a herbal liqueur sicko, and if you are you probably already have a bottle on hand.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do have Fernet, so Iíll give it a try. Any recommendations on proportions? I see 1-1/2:1-1/2 and 2:1, gin:vermouth. Also 1/4t, 1/2 t, or barspoon fernet.

    Iíd try all the variations on my own, but worried the result may only be tolerableÖ

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    57
    Ounce and a half of each of the gin and sweet vermouth, quarter to a half ounce of fernet depending on how spunky ya feel!

    If youíre not a fan Iím sure itís the gin and vermouth to blame, not at all that fernet is an extremely acquired taste.

    If you do like it then Iíd definitely suggest the equal proportions sweet martini base for experimenting with other gnarly weird liquor! Havenít tried it with Malort though, that might be my limit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Also 1/4t, 1/2 t, or barspoon fernet.
    These all sound way too small to me, but if you want to taste more of the martini and less of the mint toothpaste that hates you then I guess I wouldnít blame you for going conservative on the fernet front.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Suckramento
    Posts
    21,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    Question for martini enthusiasts: dry vermouth recommendations? Seems like staying away from the cheapest is the key.
    Dolin, Noilly Prat, Cinzano, Martini & Rossi
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.


  11. #236
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    3,996
    Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Dolin, Noilly Prat, Cinzano, Martini & Rossi
    Noilly for brinier, drier uses

    Dolin for workhorse vermouth

    Vermut Lustau is my all time favorite, slightly sweeter and incredibly floral.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    12,758
    My son just brought these back from Yurp

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3583.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	978.5 KB 
ID:	458325
    ďHow does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I donít know, go ask Rory GallagherĒ. ó Jimi Hendrix

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,275
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    yikes, the last time I was in Chicago I went to some fancy James Beard nominated cocktail bar and paid $20 for a cocktail which I can only assume was basically 3 straight ounces of fernet. Even after a month of therapy I'm still not back to my usual old self. Just seeing the fernet label makes me want to go cry in the corner.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Frenet has its time and place, like sharing a shot with a bartender, or a good after dinner digestif. No reason to hate. I always have a bottle on hand to drink with a cube, rarely for cocktails, although Hanky Panky isnt bad.

    Malort, you can keep that shit in Chicago with your casserole pizza and whole fkn garden on a hot dog.

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,275
    We had Pimms Cups @ our Derby party to go with the Mint juleps because of the Coronation .


    any other use for Pimms? about a 1/3 of a bottle left

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,275
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Noilly for brinier, drier uses

    Dolin for workhorse vermouth

    Vermut Lustau is my all time favorite, slightly sweeter and incredibly floral.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Always prefer French dry Vermouth. Although I had a US one last year that was good too.
    Oregon made, Ransom I think?

  16. #241
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    999
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    We had Pimms Cups @ our Derby party to go with the Mint juleps because of the Coronation .


    any other use for Pimms? about a 1/3 of a bottle left
    I like a Pimmís Cup and have never looked further. I guess this reminds me to buy another bottle now that itís warming up.

  17. #242
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    3,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Always prefer French dry Vermouth. Although I had a US one last year that was good too.
    Oregon made, Ransom I think?
    meh with peace and love Ransom's vermouth tastes like orange peel and clove. 2/10, not that great.

    Of course I prefer Spanish and Italian vermouth so take my opinion with a grain of salt. This is very much a Carpano household here.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  18. #243
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,275
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I like a Pimmís Cup and have never looked further. I guess this reminds me to buy another bottle now that itís warming up.
    Soak fruit in pimms b4.
    We made a batch and the boozy fruit was rad

  19. #244
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    13,722
    Iím in need of tequila based drink recommendations with minimal sugar additives. Day three south of the border and I think I got the diabetes.
    Tequila, rocks and what else? They got Don Julio on tap damn near so yeah itís nice.

  20. #245
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Suckramento
    Posts
    21,321
    Tequila soda splash of grapefruit
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.


  21. #246
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,657

    Unique Spirits & Cocktails

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Iím in need of tequila based drink recommendations with minimal sugar additives. Day three south of the border and I think I got the diabetes.
    Tequila, rocks and what else? They got Don Julio on tap damn near so yeah itís nice.
    Iíve been doing mezcal neat lately and itís kinda nice, though not as refreshing. If you do the ďsip of mezcal, sip of waterĒ it works

  22. #247
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    Posts
    11,307
    Paloma is a great cocktail but can be sweet depending. Same with ranch water.

    You could try a tequila old fashioned or a tequila martini. Just sub the normal booze for tequila and go nuts.

  23. #248
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    13,722
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Iíve been doing mezcal neat lately and itís kinda nice, though not as refreshing. If you do the ďsip of mezcal, sip of waterĒ it works
    Going to try with a slash of Sprite.

  24. #249
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    13,722
    Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Tequila soda splash of grapefruit
    Gracias Senor

  25. #250
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    13,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Paloma is a great cocktail but can be sweet depending. Same with ranch water.

    You could try a tequila old fashioned or a tequila martini. Just sub the normal booze for tequila and go nuts.
    Did try but it was too sweet. Will experiment with these tonight. Muchas garcias!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •