Shifts on the DD?

I need some guidance here…

Recently ordered my MVP from Keith to match my FRS that are currently quiver killed for some shifts.

Should I mount the MVP with some sth2 that I scored for $140 or quiver kill the MVP for the shifts and just rock the shifts on the daily driver?

The cost is nearly the same to have the quiver killers installed by a shop, because I don’t wanna mess with it, as it is for me to mount the STH2s.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sth or you’ll shift the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Sth or you’ll shift the bed.

+1
    Disappointed by shifts as DD

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

The Shift thread has a lot of good info about this. Lots of people here bought shifts for the DD skis. Lots of people have now moved on from shifts for a bunch of different reasons.
    If I was you I'd just go with the STHs. Shifts are more hassle than they are worth for 90% of people out there.

Seems like I saw a bunch in the lift line a couple of years ago. Last year, hardly saw any.

Never owned them but my brother got a pair and he didn't like how fiddly they are.

Just because this is TGR and I don't want to make it all one sided (and your descision too easy) I use shifts on my DDs and don't have any complaints or regrets. They hold me in as expected and it is useful for the occasional short skin in resort or side country lap. Only downside is they lack a bit of suspension that you'd get from a true alpine binding.

I used to dd shifts. Now I do not. I would not recommend.

I used to have shifts on DD but don't anymore. I think shifts have their place but for a ski that is <50% at the resort. I have them on my 70/30 touring/resort skis and I think I'll leave them.

My lighter friends DD them and don't seem to have as many issues.

I have been DD'ing my MVP 94s with Shifts the past year. I wish they matched the skis better and didn't look stupid in general. Otherwise, no complaints.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I DD’d them. 175 lbs, 6’1” ski hard but don’t air it out. Removed them a month it. Got tired of making a turn, going into the next with no ski.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

As you can probably gauge from the responses, there's a growing consensus that shifts missed the mark. I've toured in groups a bunch, and in almost every tour there's someone with an issue with their shifts. I was very tempted by them until I saw how many problems they create for other people. Most of the issues seem to be in tour mode, but the fact that they tour is literally the only thing they have going for them, so that's reason enough for me to write them off. I'd say sell the Shifts and mount with the sth2.

I appreciate the comments… I will mount the STH2s on the MVPs and keep the shifts on the tour lay up FRS as that is my slack/backcountry set up.

I ski pretty hard on my Shifts as a DD and haven't had problems, but it seems like I'm in the minority here. I'm sure some of what you're reading is coming from FUD though, so keep that in mind.

Partner had shifts on their DDs, no problems thus far with inbounds riding

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I ski pretty hard on my Shifts as a DD and haven't had problems, but it seems like I'm in the minority here. I'm sure some of what you're reading is coming from FUD though, so keep that in mind.
    Didn't hoji film a bunch of movie parts on pin bindings? Point being that some folks are good enough, or ski in a way that let's them get away with compromise.

There's a difference between pin bindings and shifts.

Hoji probably locked his toes.

I ski the mtn, unlocked except for icy steep no fall zones.

The mtns have very strong toe springs and I've never had a pre release.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

shifts on soft snow will be fine if you are lighter, if you are on hard snow and heavier they will suck.

Also the ramp angle of shifts put your toes really low, which may or may not be a good thing for how you ski what ramp angle your boots/leg ration and ski style work for you.

The problems I've seen with shifts aren't related to pre-release or other "I'm too hardcore" scenarios. Just issues staying in the toes in any conditions (including touring), but once you're in solid you're good. It's not a situation where you're gonna be skiing along at speed and lose a ski. More like you'll never get started.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Didn't hoji film a bunch of movie parts on pin bindings? Point being that some folks are good enough, or ski in a way that let's them get away with compromise.
    Hoji has been sponsored by Dynafit for a long time and runs modified tech bindings exclusively, usually with locked toes

I do a lot on shifts, ski pretty aggressively. No issues for me once I figured out the AFD