Page 56 of 122 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 3049
    Anyone have a recommendation in Portland for ski tuning work? I do most everything myself but need to get a few skis ground and don’t want some noob doing it

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Sunday River is running a weekday lift menu with the subtraction of 10 (White Heat) and 12 (Aurora), with the stated goal of being able to have enough staffing that lifties can switch off enough to stay warm. I expect having extra hands from a lift maintenance and patrol standpoint plays in as well. Short stoppages feel a lot longer at -15 degrees.
    Well, that's what's made it through the bowels of marketing and the third floor to the public. Expect more to be shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Well, that's what's made it through the bowels of marketing and the third floor to the public. Expect more to be shut down.
    They also said that wind was likely to affect operations further, but the "less than a weekday" ops plan was the starting point.

The response to the Facebook post was mixed between positive feedback, people calling for them to shut down entirely, and people bitching that lift tickets for Saturday are $155 right now. I'm guessing that's either an algorithmic price or someone flipped the "discourage people from showing up so we don't have to deal with them getting frostbite" switch, but I couldn't guess which.

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app

Eastcoast Roll Call TwoTwo/TwoThree A Slow Start to a Big Finish

From Mad River Glen’s website:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad River Glen
    The high tomorrow (Friday) is -11. We know that some of the toughest skiers in the country ski here and we’ll be ready for them. We love this list of cold weather skiing tips that Ski Vermont has compiled.
    In 2004 and 2005, MRG offered $15 “Freeze Your Buns off Day” ski specials during January arctic cold snaps.

Friggin colder than a witch's tit!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

https://www.wcax.com/2023/02/02/supe...howard-kelton/

Not sure how many times I had my pass pulled back in the day but it was a pretty regular occurrence

-51f wind chill already recorded at Bolton Valley.

Full Mt Washington Forecast:
    "CURRENT SUMMIT FORECAST
    We continue to track an extremely cold arctic front that will impact the higher summits over this forecast period. With the passage of the front, the coldest airmass of the season will usher into the region Friday through Saturday. This exceptionally cold airmass will have the potential to break several minimum temperature records, including Friday’s daily record of -32F, February’s monthly record of -46F, and even the all-time record of -47F. This extremely cold weather event will produce dangerously cold wind chill values Friday through Saturday, which will create life-threatening conditions for those hoping to travel to the higher summits. Due to the harsh cold conditions, a wind chill warning will remain in effect through noon Sunday.

Temperatures will reach 25 below by Friday morning and will continue to steadily fall through the rest of the day. Temperatures will continue to drop through Friday night as the center of the polar vortex crosses the area. Temperatures will bottom out around midnight with model guidances suggesting that the temperatures could drop as low as -47F to -50F. In addition to the cold conditions, winds will also increase and remain considerably strong over this forecast period. The higher summits have already seen a sharp increase in wind speeds, with winds starting off between 70-90 mph by Friday morning. Winds will continue to increase through the rest of the day, with winds speeds reaching 80-100 mph by Friday afternoon. Model guidance is also indicating that the tropopause could dip below the summit Friday night. As a result, winds will become more compressed in the lowest levels of the atmosphere, leading wind speeds to increase even further overnight Friday. The highest wind speeds will occur sometime between Friday night into Saturday morning as wind speeds ramp up to 100-115 mph with gusts up to 135 mph. Higher gusts are not completely out of the question, with the possibility for winds to peak as high as 140 mph very early Saturday morning.
    Wind chills will be incredibly low and very dangerous, particularly above treeline. Wind chill values will start around 60 below to 70 below Friday morning and will continue to fall even further over the rest of the day. The coldest air from the center of the polar vortex will move through the region Friday night which will also coincide with the period of strongest winds. As a result, wind chill values will drop to a range of 100 to 110 degrees below zero Friday night.

I want to emphasize the danger of this cold. In these brutally cold conditions, the risk of hypothermia and frostbite will be exponential. These frigid cold conditions will quickly rob you of body heat, with the possibility that frostbite could develop on exposed skin in under a minute. Even small mistakes can prove deadly, with a simple slip or fogged goggles leading to a potentially life-threatening situation. In this type of weather, rescue services will have a difficult time responding to any emergency effectively.

Temperatures will gradually start to moderate on Saturday as the center of the arctic airmass pulls away from the region. Even so, temperatures will only rise to around 20 below to 15 below late Saturday. Winds will also remain elevated Saturday, which will produce dangerously low wind chill values during the day. Temperatures will finally rise to 5 degrees above zero late Saturday night as a warm front tracks north and allows for warm air advection to take place.

Alexis George -- Weather Observer and Meteorologist
    Updated at 5:35 AM on Friday"
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

On Top of the World Marty is freezing. -29f, 103mph gust in last 10, -80f windchill. Looks like the real cold comes tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    They also said that wind was likely to affect operations further, but the "less than a weekday" ops plan was the starting point.

The response to the Facebook post was mixed between positive feedback, people calling for them to shut down entirely, and people bitching that lift tickets for Saturday are $155 right now. I'm guessing that's either an algorithmic price or someone flipped the "discourage people from showing up so we don't have to deal with them getting frostbite" switch, but I couldn't guess which.
    Frankly that ops was allowed to even make a plan let alone that something was communicated other than 'SR is perfect' is a huge win.

SR's ability to communicate and have a honest conversation with guests has been broken since ASC days and they've ended up training their guests to be dicks. I doubt there is a chance for it to improve much further till Dana is fully out of the picture or had his incentives changed.

Should we make it a drinking game for every time someone posts an update, screenshot, or link to the current weather conditions on Mt. Washington between now and Saturday night? Just sayin’.

Quote Originally Posted by scharny View Post
    Should we make it a drinking game for every time someone posts an update, screenshot, or link to the current weather conditions on Mt. Washington between now and Saturday night? Just sayin’.
    Hiccup!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

update from the Mt Washington Valley: too cold for me to get my boots to flex
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1675449192.688335.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	445951

Just ride ‘‘em in the backseat bub

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    update from the Mt Washington Valley: too cold for me to get my boots to flex

Name:	Image1675449192.688335.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	445951
    if your alignment is correct you really do not need much if any boot flex....

I actually love the cold. boots are so responsive.

Skied Stowe all day today. 6 packs only but very grippy groomers and some wind bufffed woods. Its pretty good for me and my 7 layers...

Name:	Image1675463992.463687.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	384.7 KB 
ID:	445979

6 PM Mt Washington update has -44.8F with 95 mph winds yielding a wind chill of -106.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    6 PM Mt Washington update has -44.8F with 95 mph winds yielding a wind chill of -106.
    c'mon how many folk are standing around there naked so the wind chill really matters? -45 below is legit though, flex those 130 boots, lol.

balmy as fuck at -22 here, gonna go to the store, anyone need anything?

Name:	IMG_7354.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	874.7 KB 
ID:	445982
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Does anyone know if it's cold outside?

Name:	Image1675480810.862120.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	555.3 KB 
ID:	446020

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Eastcoast Roll Call TwoTwo/TwoThree A Slow Start to a Big Finish

Unsure about the wind chill atop Mt Washington right now, but if just mentioning it causes you to raise a glass (or have a bowl of soup) cheers!

Mrs P and I just survived the traverse of the Higher Ground parking lot. Proper preparation prevents polar piercing pyrexia.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    Unsure about the wind chill atop Mt Washington right now, but if just mentioning it causes you to raise a glass (or have a bowl of soup) cheers!
    They briefly hit -108, breaking the -105 record set in AK apparently

i almost had to switch hands pumping gas
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi