Page 7 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska-RWC View Post
    I'm one flight to the east coast away from making my next mileage tier, and my nephew is in his freshman year in Boston. Having done my undergrad in Boston and grad school in VT, I'm flying to Boston on Friday to pick him up and spend Saturday and Sunday skiing . . . somewhere. He needs to experience fake snow and a WROD. When I lived in Vermont I mostly skied Killington and Sugarbush due to the student season passes, but the New England Jeep dealers did this promotion where if you show up at whatever mountain they said on whatever weekend they said, you skied for free, so I've skied all over the place.

From snow reports it looks like Sunday River has the best coverage right now, although I was surprised that Killington didn't open Superstar today given the race last weekend. Stowe also has coverage but the open terrain looks pretty blasé.

Any recommendations on where to take him? I'm not married to skiing at the same place two days in a row either. I'm just going to find some dive hotel(s) so moving on Saturday night won't be a problem.

its going to be a race to pound out more snow after this rain moves out on Thursday morning. Sunday river is a good option with its decent drive from Boston. Killington was a absolute shit show when I was there two sundays ago. And they have been preoccupied with World Cup and the weather has been crap. Maybe it’s getting better but terrain counts are staying low right now. Okemo had really good snow and a lot of terrain open Wednesday before thanksgiving. Stratton was good this past weekend but it was human slalom after 1030 both days as August West said back a page. They did have good terrain open but the weather is warm down in southern Vt until next Tuesday. Just freezing as night. Stupid.

if I was to roll the dice I would pick either okemo or Sunday river. And I can’t believe I just said either of those places. I must go pray now.

and lol, fuck Steaux, especially on a weekend. Unless you bought the parking pass that doesn’t buy you anything.

Joey pretty much nailed it. Killington can't open Superstar until they can hide the ice that the WC ladies skated on. They'd have to line up ambulances at the base of the lift if they let your average Joe(y) try his luck. Not SoVT Joey, MA/NY/NJ/CT Joey.

Fuck Stowe is right. 10-15 years ago it was worth taking a day off work on one of their crazy cheap promo days. Those days, and the promos, are long gone. If you have a few three million dollars to buy one of the condos and can convince them to let you travel by helicopter, maybe you can make the traffic and parking situation work.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Fuck Stowe is right. 10-15 years ago it was worth taking a day off work on one of their crazy cheap promo days. Those days, and the promos, are long gone. If you have a few three million dollars to buy one of the condos and can convince them to let you travel by helicopter, maybe you can make the traffic and parking situation work.
    My first year living in VT since 1994 without a downhill pass...had a Stowe one since 1997, but as a primarily weekend skier I just couldn't take it anymore. The whole place is a competition for parking and space to ski. Jay, Smuggs, and Burke are just out of reasonable driving range, so its nordic, touring and Catamount trail for me this year. We'll see how it goes. Thought I was gonna be struggling, but to be honest, the quiet mornings at home on the weekend are a blessing. It's nice to let go of the rush to the hill...

The weekend weather looks perfect
    to watch the UVM v Syracuse men’s soccer match.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    to watch the UVM v Syracuse men’s soccer match.
    Like watching paint dry...which may be better than skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    My first year living in VT since 1994 without a downhill pass...had a Stowe one since 1997, but as a primarily weekend skier I just couldn't take it anymore. The whole place is a competition for parking and space to ski. Jay, Smuggs, and Burke are just out of reasonable driving range, so its nordic, touring and Catamount trail for me this year. We'll see how it goes. Thought I was gonna be struggling, but to be honest, the quiet mornings at home on the weekend are a blessing. It's nice to let go of the rush to the hill...
    I'm trying to envision a point on the map that is reasonable driving to Stowe, not reasonable driving to Smuggs, Jay, Burke AND also not reasonable driving to Bolton, Sugarbush, MRG, Middlebury Snow Bowl or something else I may have missed. And I'm not able to come up with anything.

I'm trying to envision a point on the map that is reasonable driving to Stowe, not reasonable driving to Smuggs, Jay, Burke AND also not reasonable driving to Bolton, Sugarbush, MRG, Middlebury Snow Bowl or something else I may have missed. And I'm not able to come up with anything.
    Elmore, VT.
    25 minutes to Stowe, an hour to Smuggs, an hour to Jay, an hour plus to the MRV, 80 minutes to Burke. Granted, for people who don't mind driving an hour each way to ski crowded slopes on the weekend, there are options. I'd rather thrash through the woods and ski the hardwoods or go up to Craftsbury Nordic center. I used to be able to get plenty of laps in at Stowe from first chair to 10:30 ish when the quad opened at 7:30, maybe skin a lap before that. There are just way, way too many people now and the experience of skiing Stowe is essentially changed for the worse.

One, the MCSB sucks. Don't go there.

Two, that soccer match sounds fascinating. This weekend I learned that they don't always score goals in soccer but the times that they almost score goals are (although few and far between) VERY exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

Price goes up!

Attachment 435805

$10 for Sip!!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Like watching paint dry...which may be better than skiing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1669738074.153425.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	435874

Skiing is 100%.

Center kicks it to the left back, left back to center, center holds, holds, holds, zzzzzzzzzz
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Elmore, VT.
    25 minutes to Stowe, an hour to Smuggs, an hour to Jay, an hour plus to the MRV, 80 minutes to Burke. Granted, for people who don't mind driving an hour each way to ski crowded slopes on the weekend, there are options. I'd rather thrash through the woods and ski the hardwoods or go up to Craftsbury Nordic center. I used to be able to get plenty of laps in at Stowe from first chair to 10:30 ish when the quad opened at 7:30, maybe skin a lap before that. There are just way, way too many people now and the experience of skiing Stowe is essentially changed for the worse.
    Ah. Although I have a hard time envisioning 25 minutes from Elmore to the resort unless you rally car the back roads at 90 mph. And ya, if an hour is too far, hardwoods and Craftsbury are going to be your friends. However, having grown up too poor to 'downhill ski', I did a lot of XCD on various hills, especially up behind our farm, before they covered it with houses. It's like bouldering in a way. It's not steep and deep, but it's what you make of it. The hill across from my house has lots of little nooks and crannies that make for good fun, if the snow is good.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    Center kicks it to the left back, left back to center, center holds, holds, holds, zzzzzzzzzz
    Don't forget "guy gets bumped by another guy in a different color shirt and acts as if he has just been hit with a with a shotgun slug."

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Don't forget "guy gets bumped by another guy in a different color shirt and acts as if he has just been hit with a with a shotgun slug."
    Flop. They perfected that art in soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska-RWC View Post
    I'm one flight to the east coast away from making my next mileage tier, and my nephew is in his freshman year in Boston. Having done my undergrad in Boston and grad school in VT, I'm flying to Boston on Friday to pick him up and spend Saturday and Sunday skiing . . . somewhere. He needs to experience fake snow and a WROD. When I lived in Vermont I mostly skied Killington and Sugarbush due to the student season passes, but the New England Jeep dealers did this promotion where if you show up at whatever mountain they said on whatever weekend they said, you skied for free, so I've skied all over the place.

From snow reports it looks like Sunday River has the best coverage right now, although I was surprised that Killington didn't open Superstar today given the race last weekend. Stowe also has coverage but the open terrain looks pretty blasé.

Any recommendations on where to take him? I'm not married to skiing at the same place two days in a row either. I'm just going to find some dive hotel(s) so moving on Saturday night won't be a problem.
    If you're considering Sunday Riv and want to mix it up come to Sugarloaf, most open terrain in ME/NH. Spillover Motel in Stratton is el cheapo but decent, classic can't get there from here drive between the two also!

Flop. They perfected that art in soccer.
    Flop? Never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    If you're considering Sunday Riv and want to mix it up come to Sugarloaf, most open terrain in ME/NH. Spillover Motel in Stratton is el cheapo but decent, classic can't get there from here drive between the two also!
    He's not wrong.

Sunday River is trying really hard right now, and they have top notch snowmaking and grooming... but they can still only work with the weather that's here. For the weekend, I'd expect one way down from Locke (Sunday Punch to Cascades) and three from Barke (Right Stuff, Ecstacy-Punch, and Lazy River), two from Spruce, and one from the chondola; they might pull off another trail or two before then, but the windows this week look small and less than ideal for high volume production.

I

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app

Is there a ski base magician anyone can recc either in the Jay, Smuggs, or Burlington areas that will work on waxless XCD skis? I have a pair of Atomic Chugach waxless that need some serious help. I have ideas but no equipment. They won't glide without a ton of paste wax.

Is there a ski base magician anyone can recc either in the Jay, Smuggs, or Burlington areas that will work on waxless XCD skis? I have a pair of Atomic Chugach waxless that need some serious help. I have ideas but no equipment. They won't glide without a ton of paste wax.
    But those places are more than 25 minutes apart.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Can confirm the Spillover is decent. Had a good meal at the Backstrap B&G just down the road from the Spillover last April after a glorious day skiing with Ticketchecker and Singlecross

Eastcoast Roll Call TwoTwo/TwoThree A Slow Start to a Big Finish

SkiRack has a XCD tune on their menu of options. They just need a scrape, grind, and hot wax and you will be all set.

was really hoping to get Day #1 under my belt this weekend but it's not lookin' good... oh well, gives me an extra few days to work on the camper buildout I've been scheming up for my Jeep.
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

There's a 'burger place' here that sells it for $12 a can. I heard Lawsons may be clamping down on this kind of thing. Won't be selling too many at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    $10 for Sip!!

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    But those places are more than 25 minutes apart.
    Fuck. Nevermind.