Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Ontario 2022-23 - Yours To Discover

It's happening. Insta-shift from summer to winter-like conditions, which is nice because usually November sucks balls. Can't start a thread without a pic, so here's the backyard, somewhere in the western outskirts of the GTA...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	890.8 KB 
ID:	434101

Here's some projected opening dates, subject to change immediately of course:
    • Blue Mountain - December 03, 2022
    • Horseshoe Resort - December 11, 2022
    • Calabogie Peaks - December 17, 2022
    • Mt St Louis-Moonstone - December 18, 2022
    • Hidden Valley - January 01, 2023
    • Glen Eden - January 01, 2023

What's on your to-do list this season? Personally, I need to get up to Limberlost again, and hopefully explore Nickel Peak somehow (it's far and scheduling is tough). Would also like to know if there's any way to get a family of 4 out for one single Sunday at MSLM for less than the $366 it will currently cost me, which seems insane.

If Mr. Baker could keep us updated on the Muskoka chair snow stake as this system rolls through, it'd be appreciated. Looks like decently cold weather for the next 2 weeks - it's a start!

Lets goooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    It's happening. Insta-shift from summer to winter-like conditions, which is nice because usually November sucks balls. Can't start a thread without a pic, so here's the backyard, somewhere in the western outskirts of the GTA...

Here's some projected opening dates, subject to change immediately of course:
    • Blue Mountain - December 03, 2022
    • Horseshoe Resort - December 11, 2022
    • Calabogie Peaks - December 17, 2022
    • Mt St Louis-Moonstone - December 18, 2022
    • Hidden Valley - January 01, 2023
    • Glen Eden - January 01, 2023

What's on your to-do list this season? Personally, I need to get up to Limberlost again, and hopefully explore Nickel Peak somehow (it's far and scheduling is tough). Would also like to know if there's any way to get a family of 4 out for one single Sunday at MSLM for less than the $366 it will currently cost me, which seems insane.

If Mr. Baker could keep us updated on the Muskoka chair snow stake as this system rolls through, it'd be appreciated. Looks like decently cold weather for the next 2 weeks - it's a start!

Lets goooooooo
    Great thread title! The chair is installed and ready for action. It is currently snowing here in the northland and the ground seems frozen, which is good for accumulation.

We did some good work at Limberlost back in October, and cleaned up all the existing runs. Should be great schussing there this winter.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Snow chair report, November 16:

Name:	Chair Nov 16 22.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	600.6 KB 
ID:	434287
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

My current run of sobriety will be dependent on Antoine opening for the holidays so I can duck out of my christmas family obligations. Here's hoping!
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    My current run of sobriety will be dependent on Antoine opening for the holidays so I can duck out of my christmas family obligations. Here's hoping!
    Ha, good plan. I think that Paulster's opening day estimates are a bit conservative. I heard from a reliable source that both Antoine and Hidden Valley are aiming for December 16 opening. Forecast is for 10-15 cm on Friday and snowmaking temps going forward.

Following. The chair is off to a nice start. What is 10 CM? Like a foot? Please provide snow projections/ totals in American from now on

^10 cm is 0.1 m. HTH lol.

Thanks for getting the thread started. Those possible opening dates are really giving me something to look forward to. Been looking at BM's webcams over the last week more than I want to admit to. Started a new job and hours are all over the place so not sure how much I'll be getting out but stoked as hell for the new season.

LET'S GO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Following. The chair is off to a nice start. What is 10 CM? Like a foot? Please provide snow projections/ totals in American from now on
    A foot? Ha. 10 cm = 3.93701 inches. A foot is 30.48 cm. Metric rules for optimism.

Ontario may be yours to discover but MSS dropped the rope and is Open For Business.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    Ontario may be yours to discover but MSS dropped the rope and is Open For Business.
    Vive la difference!

Ontario 2022-23 - Yours To Discover

lol, was that really a provincial slogan?

Name:	1693B5F4-7A1E-448F-AB3B-2167BBEE4CB0-40922-0000048CF2EACC45.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	901.7 KB 
ID:	434313

Is the difference even icier man made?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

[QUOTE=ex-powderbroker;6730722]lol, was that really a provincial slogan?

Totally was the license plate slogan for many years until Drug Lord changed it to "A Place to Grow." Ontari-ari-ari-o. Good grief.

Name:	IMG_20221116_075237.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	773.2 KB 
ID:	434356

Spent a couple of days in a yurt at Pinery Park. This was the scene when I came out yesterday morning.

Hoping to ski at Searchmont over the Christmas period. Our youngest moved up there last year. Got my Boler pass back in August and they sold those out fairly quickly. Now if I can get my right hip working better I'm all set.

I have fond memories of racing at Searchmont. It was easily the best hill on the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I have fond memories of racing at Searchmont. It was easily the best hill on the circuit.
    I missed out skiing there back in March this year. Pouring rain caused them to close the hill when we visited. Meanwhile Boler had some nice spring skiing that day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Destination of some of my best teenage road trips with the boys. Remember shredding with one bro who hit a kicker, broke his collar bone and kept riding all day. Man we were dum!
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Just some context for you - that chair is waaaay (not that far but far) up north in Huntsville, which is part of what we consider the "snow belt." Up there, 10cm (4") ain't shit as they say. But where I am, in the Greater Toronto Area, 10cm is enough to force people inside, crashes all over the roads, and the constant whining of non-skiers who hate snow.

So 4" in Huntsville is a good start. 4" in GTA is a big dump. And this will be the last time I use snow measurements based on the anatomy of your king.

When I lived in Wasaga Beach two blocks from Georgian Bay one November we got four feet in four days. God bless lake effect snow

Name:	Dog pictures Fall 2010 014.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	434386
    Last edited by apex dave; 11-17-2022 at 12:20 PM.

^ Simply beautiful!

Nice shot Apex.

Checked the web cam and London has the guns blowing. Might be skiing next weekend or sooner.

Now we are getting somewhere. This morning:

Name:	chair nov 18 22.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	530.6 KB 
ID:	434476

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    Now we are getting somewhere. This morning:

Name:	chair nov 18 22.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	530.6 KB 
ID:	434476
    woh nice any skiing in the vicinity of that lake effect we are hearing about?
    27° 18°

^ Anything near Orchard Park Ny?! They've received 196cm (77") and are expected to get over 200cm (nearly 7') by tonight.

Moonstone has their guns blaring after getting some new snow overnight and 30-40cm more snow coming by Sunday night. Bet they will open before next weekend.

^Great news!