Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Blue Mountain announced their expected opening date today - Thursday December 8. Fingers crossed for what I assume will be basically a WROD..

Found an email in the box that Moonstone opened yesterday. Are they first in all of Ontario? Might have to venture forth next week.

Oh wow that's awesome. Definitely the first one that I know of.

Might be that Searchmont opened on the 24th.

Anywho, check this link out. Brave new world eh.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...ures-1.6661874

Was at Moonstone opening day and decent snow considering the rain the night before and a bit during the day. Nice to get some turns in!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC5D5775-C354-4E89-8AC5-3F3888A37F1E.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	435595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08F01C2E-5D71-42B5-B33D-10945F6C53EA.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	494.6 KB 
ID:	435596

Sweet. Looks like full coverage.

A place to Grow is actually pretty old

"A Place to Stand, a Place to Grow" (Ontari-ari-ari-o!) is the unofficial provincial anthem of the Canadian province of Ontario. It was written as the signature tune for a movie of the same name that was featured at the Expo 67 Ontario pavilion.

The song was written by Dolores Claman, who also wrote "The Hockey Theme", with lyrics by Richard Morris and orchestrations by Jerry Toth. Lyrics for a French version were written by Larry Trudel.[1]

It was commissioned by the Progressive Conservative government of John Robarts for the Ontario pavilion at Expo 67, the World's Fair held in Montreal, Quebec in Canada's centennial year of 1967, and was used again in the following decades.

The song was featured at the Province of Ontario's exhibit in the short film A Place to Stand, which won the 1967 Academy Award for Live Action Short Film. The Government of Ontario maintains three versions of the song, an English, French, and a bilingual version that incorporates both English and French.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post

My first impression from reading that is it’s likely a very energy intensive (expensive) way to make a small amount of shitty snow, but hopefully I’m wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    My first impression from reading that is it’s likely a very energy intensive (expensive) way to make a small amount of shitty snow, but hopefully I’m wrong.
    I agree but support their efforts to get me skiing early. Many times I question their above and beyond efforts to make snow. Life is short, burn the candle at both ends.

Interesting yet depressing at the same time. But I agree, let'r rip!

Nice shots backwards Wilson! - super jealous.

Wow! Spent my high school years skiing Boler, then referred to as the Byron Ski Club, or as we referred to it as the Byron bump! But we had fun. Lift lines were so stupid, we taught ourselves ballet skiing on Elbow on the left side of the hill, climbed up and down, doing crossovers, legbreakers, tip drag 360’s, you name it. Pole flips and jump 360’s as well.

Fun night skiing chasing the ladies too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Wow! Spent my high school years skiing Boler, then referred to as the Byron Ski Club, or as we referred to it as the Byron bump! But we had fun. Lift lines were so stupid, we taught ourselves ballet skiing on Elbow on the left side of the hill, climbed up and down, doing crossovers, legbreakers, tip drag 360’s, you name it. Pole flips and jump 360’s as well.

Fun night skiing chasing the ladies too!

Did you get a chance to ski Hill 2000? Double the fun of the original hill. Being retired I can get out early in the morning for numerous laps before the thundering hordes show up. Ten minute drive from my house. Usually get about 60 or 70 visits a season. Beats going to a gym.

Did you get a chance to ski Hill 2000? Double the fun of the original hill. Being retired I can get out early in the morning for numerous laps before the thundering hordes show up. Ten minute drive from my house. Usually get about 60 or 70 visits a season. Beats going to a gym.
    I moved from London in 1981, right after grade 12. So I don’t think so.

Using Tapatalk

Man this weather is balls. Looks like late next week we might be able to hope for cold temps and precipitation. Would be nice to get out to the slopes over the holidays. Fingers crossed!

Looks like some good over night temps starting g tonight. The guns should be up and running at Blue. Here’s hoping next week we can get at it!

Lots of mounds at the Boler bump. Maybe next weekend?
    Name:  IMG_2280.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  48.5 KBName:  IMG_2283.JPG
Views: 358
Size:  38.1 KBName:  IMG_2285.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  34.2 KB

I keep forgetting actually how early it still is in the season. That sudden switch from fall to winter in November really messed with my internal clock. It feels to me like we're in a terrible January thaw, but really not much is ever open at this time of year.

Lots of mounds at the Boler bump. Maybe next weekend?
    Name:  IMG_2280.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  48.5 KBName:  IMG_2283.JPG
Views: 358
Size:  38.1 KBName:  IMG_2285.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  34.2 KB
    They pushed the mounds into flat on the hills over night. Looks like they will open later in the week. Can't see them opening the new hill for a couple of weeks but skiing is skiing. Much cheaper than the Barrie hills and a wee bit smaller elevation.

The chair is undergoing Winter Reboot 3.0, it was too dark to get a picture today (before and after work!). Meanwhile, Sir Sam's opened this weekend, web cams showed pretty decent coverage. Hidden Valley still blowing like mad, though they should be able to open at least the baby chair this coming weekend. Must be a bit galling as the former GM at Sir Sam's is now the GM at Hidden Bump and he is behind the eight ball. Backwoods are not in play by a long shot.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Boler opened yesterday and I missed the boat. Looks like they'll reopen on Wednesday afternoon. Likely I'll get my first turns that day. Still recovering from covid so maybe a good thing I didn't know they opened.

How come there isn’t a Quebec thread? Is it a francophone thing?

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Send me $20 and I'll set one up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Talk to ex-powderbroker, he is possibly the one and only Mag living in La Belle Provence.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

I think Dan is there too. So many great large and small ski areas in Quebec

Blue is opening Thursday. Night skiing included.