Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    I am actually going to ride a chair at Sir Sam's on Monday so thought it would be a good idea to wax my skis. It occurred to me that I have been using this iron for this purpose since I was a teenager. I’m 65 now and it was old then. Collectors of vintage household stuff would be appalled.

I'll keep you posted on conditions, looks promising.

Attachment 442680
    Very cool iron. And it’s Red!

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Very cool iron. And it’s Red!
    Thanks, man. The red-handled irons are way faster.

People in another forum gave me grief over electrical safety, FFS.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

killjoys everywhere nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    any love for edelweiss? i’d really like to do a loop to tick that, calabogie, and mont chilly.

it was pointed out earlier that ontario is huge and that is quite true so i hope i am not stepping on any toes posting about the ottawa-centric ski landscape in which i meet people from ontario. it is really just a fraction of the total scene, but i had such a good time camping and climbing at calabogie a couple years ago it’s just been something i wanted to get back to.

and if it snows ever i want to make my loop!
    I ski at Edelweiss. Give me a shout if you ever need anyone to show you around.

With any luck, we may get to see the ever elusive madpatski.

My dad had a similar iron at his place I used to use when I was a teenager. Thing would spark and smoke where the fabric-sheathed cord met the iron itself if you held it at the right (wrong?) angle. Would scare the shit out of me, then I'd forget about it until the next time. Good times..

Got the kids out to Glen Eden on Saturday finally. 1 lift, 2 runs, and snowmaking going gangbusters. It was great to get back out there, and sunshine and zero wind made time outdoors pleasant, even if it was mostly spent in the lift lines. Would've been a perfect day for a lunchtime tailgate if it weren't for this stupid dry January B.S. that I got roped in to.

They had pretty much all runs and 2/3 lifts open by Sunday when we drove by. Things are looking up! Looked to me like they had a good base of man-made so they should be able to get fully open by the weekend. Hopefully the weather pattern is changing.

Will have some boring photos after this weekend.

^ My iron was shorting out at the other end, so I replaced the plug. Quick and easy. Not sure what I would if it occured at iron end, maybe replace the cord. But, yeah, good times.

Keeping up with the positive ski reports, I had a great day at Sir Sam's today. Lots of hard base, no bare spots. All but one run was open, and my two favourites, Birdwatcher and Banana, were in great shape. Conditions were firm and fast, blue wax was the right choice. There were a few scrapey spots here and there, which kept you on your toes. Lodge and deck vibe was great as usual.

You may not realize it but the main reason to go to Sir Sams, in Eagle Lake, ON, is for the rhubarb (old pic but the sign remains):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhubarb sign.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	343.3 KB 
ID:	442926

The sun was out in full force and the double chair had the speed dial turned up to 11.

Name:	Higg speed double.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	442927

Instead of a Christmas party, our company has sponsored a "staff appreciation day" at Sir Sams for the last two years. Way better, IMHO. Free skiing, beer and food. Nice. My colleague Nate shows the way:

Name:	Nate shows the way.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	394.9 KB 
ID:	442928

For what it lacks in vert, Sir Sams makes it up with the view:

Name:	Can't beat the view.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	442929
    Last edited by Mr. Multiglisse; 01-16-2023 at 07:27 PM.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

That's great. Instead of a Christmas party, my company does nothing. Like, not even a mention of anything. Super lame, but honestly I'm glad to not have to go to anything anyhow. I'm only 43 so not yet old enough to appreciate rhubarb.

Forecast has gone to shit again. This week better be the last one of warm temps. Hoping for a cold finish to January (good riddance!) and a solid February and March.

Freezing rain at Blue today. Looks like the north lift isn’t going to open any time soon.

Had to use the white cane this morning. Ruts, voids and ditches? If you can't see them are they still there?

Sir Sam's is a fun hill. Worker appreciation? I thought that shite didn't exist anymore. A frozen turkey in the early 2000s was the last time I saw mana from the overlords

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    That's great. Instead of a Christmas party, my company does nothing. Like, not even a mention of anything. Super lame, but honestly I'm glad to not have to go to anything anyhow. I'm only 43 so not yet old enough to appreciate rhubarb.

Forecast has gone to shit again. This week better be the last one of warm temps. Hoping for a cold finish to January (good riddance!) and a solid February and March.
    GTFO. I’m only 43 too, and rhubarb crisp is probably my favorite dessert.

edit: Shit. Realized I’m 44. Must like rhubarb cause I’m old.

Holy cow that view from Sir Sam's brought a pile of memories back and yet I was only there once at around 15 years old. Thanks for posting that. It's been interesting learning about all these other hills in Ontario, great stuff.
    Last edited by Thaleia; 01-18-2023 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Holy cow that view from Sir Sam's broad a pile of memories back and yet I was only there once at around 15 years old. Thanks for posting that. It's been interesting learning about all these other hills in Ontario, great stuff.
    Is there still the golf course at the base of the ski hill?Friends have a cottage outside of Minden on Gull Lake. Used to go up for weekends at their cottage. Great country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I thought the golf course at Sir Sam's was on top of the hill? Another hill with a golf course was Cobble Hills west of London. They shut the ski part down many years ago. Was a nice place when the moon was full with a clear view to the east.

Lots more rain rolling through the GTA. Just heard thunder FFS...

Worst January ever. No exaggeration. February better be good, or else!! <shakes fist>

I've been saying for years February is my favourite month since no matter how garbage the weather's been, or how bad of a January that we'd have, by then snow conditions are at their best for skiing, xc, and fatbiking. Hoping this year doesn't put that idea to a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    I've been saying for years February is my favourite month since no matter how garbage the weather's been, or how bad of a January that we'd have, by then snow conditions are at their best for skiing, xc, and fatbiking. Hoping this year doesn't put that idea to a test.
    Mid Feb is my favourite wintertime as well. Snow is still plentiful, and the sun is starting to get warmer and stay out noticeably longer. It would just be nice to have a ski season that is longer than 8 weeks this year...

Would kill for eight weeks at this point. Weather's supposed to be changing dramatically, should be much colder overall for a bit. Hope that's right. Sure could have used the -0 temps during the last few weeks of rain ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    I thought the golf course at Sir Sam's was on top of the hill? Another hill with a golf course was Cobble Hills west of London. They shut the ski part down many years ago. Was a nice place when the moon was full with a clear view to the east.
    LOL< could well be the case! It was at best, 45 years ago last I played it. And , typical of Ontario, hard to tell the top of the hill from the bottom!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Finally, the local woods are in play! Secret stash just outside of Huntsville:

Name:  first secret turns.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  80.2 KB

Looks great.

Got out on the xc skis today. Nice to finally have snow to play on.

Hockleycrest:

Name:	PXL_20230127_182121356.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	430.5 KB 
ID:	444852

Nice snow pack while it lasted. Yesterday was the peak of conditions this season. Raining now. Drat! Temps drop biggly after this and not much snow in the forecast. Hoping things are better outside of this corner of Ontario.

Damn, sorry to hear that. GTA finally looks set for awhile.

Got out to BM today. Was expecting better snow now that we got a couple decent dumps but it was hard wind swept stuff. Snowed all afternoon but didn't seem to really accumulate. Bit busier than I had hoped so spent most of my time on the north side, where there were no lines. Fun day but the drive back was brutal, snow squalls all the way from Collingwood to Caledon East.

Bundle up tomorrow if you're heading out, we're headed into some cold ass weather.

Name:	PXL_20230202_202029665.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	995.5 KB 
ID:	445843

Maybe 15cms today. Nice ski this morning on 3 or 4 inches. One of Boler's main lifts is down awaiting a part so it should be a bit nuts on the weekend. Try and get after it when they open in the morning to beat the crowds. Not a bad season so far. Forecast is rain and warm but the hill should hold up well. A very dense base. The snow makers here are top notch.

What a strange winter and it has been trending that way for years. I reckon we'll be growing cabbages in the Yukon soon.

I have lost count of winter resets this season. This was from yesterday, prime conditions if you could manage the deep freeze (high of -24 C, -12 F). Effing cold.

Name:  chair Feb 3.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  54.7 KB

Today we had a fine gathering for Twigfest, including a dog from Turkey! Cold day, great people, hot tent, excellent snow, what more you ask for? The temperature moderated, though it was still too cold too take many pictures. It was only -21 C (-6 F) when I arrived at the parking spot, and a balmy -13 C (9 F) when I left. Heard an interesting explanation of the polar vortex from the head the Environment Canada climate change data monitoring group, who happened to be skiing with us, and he shared some insight while warming up around the wood stove. Basically, as the Arctic warms, the long-existing jet stream effect of the polar vortex, previously blocked by the extreme northern cold of the past, is now released to head south and bite us in the ass. Or something like that. Usually followed by a warming trend. Yahoo!

Name:  twigfest 2023 camp.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  101.0 KB