Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    No, my pass is for Blue Mountain. I'm in the GTA so I generally make the trek north to my 'local' lol hill.

Too bad about Calabogie. Looks like a great spot. Glades even.

Re golf - with the weather we see these days maybe I should pick that up!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    No, my pass is for Blue Mountain. I'm in the GTA so I generally make the trek north to my 'local' lol hill.

Too bad about Calabogie. Looks like a great spot. Glades even.

Re golf - with the weather we see these days maybe I should pick that up!
    Don't worry man, after this weekend Paulster Prediction™ says we are home-free. We got this! I also guess that this year's weather bullshit will kick-off more investments in Ontario hill snowmaking. They're going to need to be able to quickly recover from full resets in 1-2 days if they're going to keep this sport alive in this warming, crappy province.

I have to golf occasionally for work and social purposes. That 'sport' sucks balls. Would be just as happy to walk with my clubs with 3 other people and never take a swing. And I'm not terrible at it either. Not good by any stretch, but I have zero desire to be.

While it poured rain yesterday in Huntsville, turns out that it snowed a little farther north. Mt. Antoine reported 25 cm of new snow this morning. Might be worth a drive to Mattawa.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

If only Antoine wasn't so flat*. Not sure if you could actually get many turns in with 25 cm.

*Granted there are a few pitches but....

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    If only Antoine wasn't so flat*. Not sure if you could actually get many turns in with 25 cm.

*Granted there are a few pitches but....
    Flatter than what, MSLM? Boler? This is no winter to be be fussy about inclination. Go where the snow is.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Point taken...

At least there's a decent pitch on the top half.

And with the slow chair at least the snow will last a bit longer.

Point taken...

At least there's a decent pitch on the top half.

And with the slow chair at least the snow will last a bit longer.
    I'm sure it would be fun given the options. I was pretty surprised at how few people there were there on opening day (Dec 27th). Ski on lift the whole time. What about the ski hill in North Bay is that still around? Never been there.
    27° 18°

Laurentian ski hill... It is tiny, maybe 200' vertical? It's still around.

But it was great for weeknight skiing and race training when I was a kid.

And I'm not sure Antoine ever gets busy, there just isn't much of a ski market up there anymore. When I was skiing there as a kid there were two lifts and they would both be lined up past the coral.

Calabogie was mentioned earlier, it's my favorite hill that I've skied in Ontario, so much fun terrain. I haven't skied the private clubs but I feel they are just different versions of Blue

I'm too lazy to re-post so here is a link to the current situation up in Muskoka (and if you are thinking about a trip to NY state, this site is a great resource):

https://nyskiblog.com/forum/threads/...413/post-49706

any love for edelweiss? i’d really like to do a loop to tick that, calabogie, and mont chilly.

it was pointed out earlier that ontario is huge and that is quite true so i hope i am not stepping on any toes posting about the ottawa-centric ski landscape in which i meet people from ontario. it is really just a fraction of the total scene, but i had such a good time camping and climbing at calabogie a couple years ago it’s just been something i wanted to get back to.

and if it snows ever i want to make my loop!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Dood, you are in Montreal so Edelweiss, Calabogie, Chilly and maybe Antoine are in your easy range. Anything else means that you really want to go there (like Bellevue Valley Lodge), If you drove to MSLM or even Blue Mountain, you would ask yourself why you didn't stay in the Laurentians, or drive to New England.

Madpatski is a race coach at Edelweiss, I'm sure he would be happy to show you around.

Imagine driving from Montreal to spend 90$ to ski at MSLM... it's incomprehensible please nobody do this.

Haven't made a single turn this season yet. Awful start!! Kids' lessons start at Glen Eden on Saturday, I'll be surprised if they have more than 2 runs open. Something's gotta give!

i don’t know about mslm. chilly looks like a great family run t-bar unicorn, edelweiss is in my pass, and calabogie is calabogie!

LETITSNOW!!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Imagine driving from Montreal to spend 90$ to ski at MSLM... it's incomprehensible please nobody do this.
    Besides, where do you get good bagels near Barrie?

Camping weather next week. What a stoopid winter. Likely back on the bike this week. Just seeing pavement and green grass when I look out the windows

Laurentian ski hill... It is tiny, maybe 200' vertical? It's still around.

But it was great for weeknight skiing and race training when I was a kid.

And I'm not sure Antoine ever gets busy, there just isn't much of a ski market up there anymore. When I was skiing there as a kid there were two lifts and they would both be lined up past the coral.

Calabogie was mentioned earlier, it's my favorite hill that I've skied in Ontario, so much fun terrain. I haven't skied the private clubs but I feel they are just different versions of Blue
    Depending on what club - like Georgian Peaks - quite a bit different. More vertical but more importantly steeper terrain and a much more consistent pitch.

Craigleith, Beaver Valley and some of the smaller ones - you aren't getting anything better terrain wise IMO.

Alpine has the best terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Alpine has the best terrain.
    That's a private club isn't it? Skied many of those resorts back in the sixties and seventies. Now Blue seems to be the only public on that ridge. Love the view looking out over Georgian Bay. Too bad almost all runs are straight shots down the escarpment.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    That's a private club isn't it? Skied many of those resorts back in the sixties and seventies. Now Blue seems to be the only public on that ridge. Love the view looking out over Georgian Bay. Too bad almost all runs are straight shots down the escarpment.
    Not to mention the top 1/4 is low-angle and shouldn't really even count as vert. Ontario badly needs another option in that area other than Blue.

I'd argue GP first and Alpine second but I ski at GP so I might be biased (but I'm not)

Alpine does have MORE terrain, tho, FWIW.

But this is Ontario escarpment so we're splitting hairs here between some pitch and 850 vert lol

MSLM still skiing very well even with the recent rain. Hopefully Collingwood and MSLM getting about 15cm plus of new snow Thursday. Nobody there the last 2 days as well with the school break over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CECCEA0C-599F-4435-9A14-2282784B58ED.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	658.9 KB 
ID:	442123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E30953B1-A9E9-4235-8164-40767A81E001.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	576.3 KB 
ID:	442124

Went to Glen Eden to get the kids' lesson passes and our family's "season" passes, finally. They've got snow on 1/2 of the hill, and enough for 3 actual runs and the learning centre. Looks hella-depressing.

Big rainstorm for Thurs/Fri keeps getting colder and colder - now calling for 9cm overnight on Thursday with temps getting damn cold for Friday night and Saturday. I would expect them to just crank snow the entire time, so Saturday's morning lessons will be on 2.5 runs, 1 chairlift, with snow guns blazing to cool us down in the balmy -9 temps. It's gonna suck, but turns will be had!!

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    any love for edelweiss? i’d really like to do a loop to tick that, calabogie, and mont chilly.
    Even among the meh ski hills in the Ottawa area Edelweiss gets a bigger meh from me. So many flat spots. Though there's a few good pitches to the skier's left of the chairs. But it's no Calabogie. And this is coming from a guy whose kid races at Mont Cascades.

If conditions are good Mont Ste Marie is a better option.

Chilly is definitely on my list if the stars align.

We missed most of the rain and now have a half inch of snow on the ground. Baby steps. With the new fancy gadget they have all the runs open again. Some kind of voodoo magic going on because the weather doesn't warrant these conditions.

The trouble with normal is, it always gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Vmango View Post
    Depending on what club - like Georgian Peaks - quite a bit different. More vertical but more importantly steeper terrain and a much more consistent pitch.

Craigleith, Beaver Valley and some of the smaller ones - you aren't getting anything better terrain wise IMO.
    Loch Lomond is better. The Giant/Jolly and Devil's dive, and more consistent snow. Some runs at Georgian Peaks reminded me of bit of Loch- memory is a bit foggy though since it was 40 years ago when i last skied the peaks.

I am actually going to ride a chair at Sir Sam's on Monday so thought it would be a good idea to wax my skis. It occurred to me that I have been using this iron for this purpose since I was a teenager. I’m 65 now and it was old then. Collectors of vintage household stuff would be appalled.

I'll keep you posted on conditions, looks promising.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waxing iron.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	307.1 KB 
ID:	442680