Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    We think we’re east coast lol
    27° 18°

Big snowstorm coming to southern ON tomorrow with cold temps for the foreseeable future. Should be enough to get things going big time.

Week 3 at MSLM and they started night skiing today and opened up the larger Moonstone hill with 4 runs off it. Making snow like crazy there so more runs soon I’m sure. They are supposed to get lots of natural snow the next few days too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86545B5A-6AB5-40DA-AAE1-A627464974AB.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	348.3 KB 
ID:	438277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	191315D6-D141-404E-B0B8-4993B5A47644.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	726.8 KB 
ID:	438278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	149A90F7-A078-4971-B87C-613DAC6C7849.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	555.0 KB 
ID:	438279

Really sucks that MSLM wants $90 for a lift ticket now. My buddy and his family have passes there, and rent out a cabin. We like to head up and spend a night and then go skiing for a day, but for my wife and 2 kids and I, this costs $350+ in lift tickets. Insane for what it is. Maybe I'm just getting old.

82.58$ for a ticket last December at MSLM. Pretty good coverage from what Noslow pics were showing this year.

What a weather day. Was supposed to drive to Sudbury today. Not happening. Got a few runs in yesterday to test the old body and see if I still remember. Maybe some runs later if the hill opens. Wouldn't blame them if they don't open today but I love skiing in the rain...and snow.

The chair earlier today. A good accumulation of excellent snowball and snowperson-making snow for winter 4.0. Not great snow for skiing but a great base, let's hope it sticks around. The resorts will be happy as they groom it down into a solid base. Backcountry has to wait and see.

Name:	Chair 12-16-22.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	438546
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Lookin mighty comfy!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Lookin mighty comfy!
    Getting comfier by the day!

Name:	Chair 12-18-22.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	440.4 KB 
ID:	438783
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

any ontario folks hitting the laurentians this weekend? could be really good.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    They pushed the mounds into flat on the hills over night. Looks like they will open later in the week. Can't see them opening the new hill for a couple of weeks but skiing is skiing. Much cheaper than the Barrie hills and a wee bit smaller elevation.
    Did Pano’s “Ski With the Pro’s” program two weeks ago with a guy who lives in Bayfield, but his son lives above Boler. While we were skiing he said they had opened up, and his grandkids ski Boler constantly. I grew up in London and spent most weekends … Friday night thru Sunday 4PM, skiing the Bump. I referenced this thread about the whales and new snowmaking they had pu tin place.

Hoping you are enjoying downhill fun as much as we are this holiday season!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Do those from the Canadas have debates about where the Ontario lines begin and end? Asking for a friend.

When it takes a full 24hrs drive to get across the province on hwy17, no one argues about how much further it ‘might’ be to cross the line, you only hope it’s sooner than later.

Welp. Finally made it out. Not on downhill skis but this scratched the itch (a bit). Ugly grey day but was nice to be sliding on snow. (do me a favour and try not to compare these conditions to what's currently showing in the nordic thread lol)

Name:	20221227_124007.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	440134

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    When it takes a full 24hrs drive to get across the province on hwy17, no one argues about how much further it ‘might’ be to cross the line, you only hope it’s sooner than later.
    Brutal.

Name:	Screenshot_20221227-201115-632.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	641.5 KB 
ID:	440147

I'll just go to Montreal instead.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Really fun opening day at Antoine!

Conditions were really nice

Name:	IMG_5366.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	440155

Sorry for the lack of good pics.
    27° 18°

People sometimes don't realize how big Ontario is - it stretches from about NYC to Kansas City in longitude, and Northern California to ~1/3 of the way up the Alaska Panhandle in latitude, and it's about 1.5x the area of Texas.

Key-rist! Just think of the number of black flies there.

No black flies now. This was yesterday. No skiing due to snow removal duties after a week away from home, not to mention the power outage:

Name:	chair dec 27.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	440276

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    No black flies now. This was yesterday. No skiing due to snow removal duties after a week away from home, not to mention the power outage:

Name:	chair dec 27.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	440276
    That's a nice bit of snow there. Frickin' forecast is a downer though. I think we'll see 13 and rain here in London next week. Should keep the hill quiet and make for some fun skiing.

Got back from a week long road trip and it appears that we got about a foot of snow from that 'generational' storm. We live in strange times.

That damned "January" thaw. Get's us every year it seems.

4C on the hill this morning and they had the new gadget working. It was shooting ice pellets out at a slow rate. Looks like a 30 foot trailer with a humming machine inside. Apparently a government grant combined with the hill's own money have gotten this thing up and running. Not sure what to think.

Chicopee in Kitchener is still closed and wondering how Glen Eden is doing. Sounds like it is open but their season is always shorter at both ends than Boler. Here in London all lifts are running with all slopes open. We shall see after 15C and rain tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    4C on the hill this morning and they had the new gadget working. It was shooting ice pellets out at a slow rate. Looks like a 30 foot trailer with a humming machine inside. Apparently a government grant combined with the hill's own money have gotten this thing up and running. Not sure what to think.

Chicopee in Kitchener is still closed and wondering how Glen Eden is doing. Sounds like it is open but their season is always shorter at both ends than Boler. Here in London all lifts are running with all slopes open. We shall see after 15C and rain tomorrow.
    Glen Eden has been "Open" with 1 or 3 runs and 1 lift. They have now closed until the weekend and need to get cold temps to start the guns again. Drove by it the other day - depressing only begins to describe it.

Kids lessons don't start up until the 14th though so we're still okay there at least. East coast sucks ass this year.

The chair is pretty sad-looking but we still have a foot or so of shitty snow on the ground after the big melt. There is fresh snow in the forecast and the brave WWHSTA folks are going to attempt a tour at Limberlost on Saturday. Conditions will likely suck but we'll be on skis and will have some type 2 fun, I'm sure.

This weather has been such a complete let down. It's been raining since what, Boxing Day?! And do add insult to injury, I've been off work during all of this. Back to a heavy schedule tomorrow, doubt I'll brake even on my ski pass this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    This weather has been such a complete let down. It's been raining since what, Boxing Day?! And do add insult to injury, I've been off work during all of this. Back to a heavy schedule tomorrow, doubt I'll brake even on my ski pass this year.
    You're not a member at Calabogie are you? Apparently had to close for a day or so due to a fire in one of their buildings. Photos gave the impression that the eastern part of the resort had very little snow. Nice hill for Ontario.

Yeah, the rain is getting to be a bit much. Looks like a turnaround tomorrow. When they called for the Christmas storm I was thinking that x-country skiing at the local golf course would be a thing. Not sure if any of the courses around here opened or not but there was a year around 2008 when I golfed in the first week of January.