Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Will be an Abasin skier tomorrow, just not interested in the bag of dicks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    Will be an Abasin skier tomorrow, just not interested in the bag of dicks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'll most likely be there on Saturday. You there for a few days or just tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by turbomike15 View Post
    whats the deal with SGs? "
    We know some of you are as anxious about Steep Gullies as we are. Patrol is hard at work over there and we think with a little more snow we can get back to the steep gullies.
    "

seems like they've gotten more snow than last year at this point and I recall them being open by now? Maybe I'm not recalling the past clearly though... Don't bs me Al, just say you don't have the manpower to get em open yet.
    idk but maybe all of these little storms are not great for filling in that terrain?

I'm sure the locals have better info, but when I was down there a couple weeks ago it looked the wind had done a number on the SGs, especially at top (I didn't see any entrances that went clean). They also had some pockets pull out to the ground during mitigation and I would imagine those have to fill back in.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    I'm sure the locals have better info, but when I was down there a couple weeks ago it looked the wind had done a number on the SGs, especially at top (I didn't see any entrances that went clean). They also had some pockets pull out to the ground during mitigation and I would imagine those have to fill back in.
    Apparently they are pretty short handed with patrollers so that might be having an effect. They should be open by now. Gautier and Waterfall are both open. They were bombing the other day. Hopefully by this weekend.

The place was better when it was run by a dog food company.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

A sneaky very fun 1" out there this morning. puts me in a better mood to work the rest of the day. stilllll blasting the gullies heavy, have talked to some friends on patrol and sounds like some of the chokes are still very rocky so I assume the snow just won't stick in there. did not sound like a staffing issue. surprised janitors still hasn't opened though.

Today was very good. They opened some steep gullies today and I was first public in 4 of the season which did not suck. was a little bit of tip toeing/ cautious skiing at the very top but then I could start to tell the pack seemed to be providing better coverage so I went for it from this point down. face shots were had.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8DUbMhE.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	380.9 KB 
ID:	445302

FKNA
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    FKNA
    What he said.

Hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Today was very good. They opened some steep gullies today and I was first public in 4 of the season which did not suck. was a little bit of tip toeing/ cautious skiing at the very top but then I could start to tell the pack seemed to be providing better coverage so I went for it from this point down. face shots were had.

Faceshots in the Gullies? FKNA

Hot damn!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

How's the demo inventory at A-basin's rental shop?

I'm gonna be in denver for ~10 days in February for some medical stuff--might be able to get away for a day or two of skiing and I've always wanted to ski A-basin.

Would be nice to avoid checking skis to be able to choose skis based on conditions (plus there are a lot of skis out there I haven't tried yet)...but I don't want to get stuck on some Rossi Experience 86s or 175cm M6 Mantras because that's all they've got left.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    How's the demo inventory at A-basin's rental shop?

I'm gonna be in denver for ~10 days in February for some medical stuff--might be able to get away for a day or two of skiing and I've always wanted to ski A-basin.

Would be nice to avoid checking skis to be able to choose skis based on conditions (plus there are a lot of skis out there I haven't tried yet)...but I don't want to get stuck on some Rossi Experience 86s or 175cm M6 Mantras because that's all they've got left.
    If the demo fleet at the Basin isn't up to par (and I have no idea if it is or not) you could try Bent Gate or Powder 7 in Golden, I think both of those shops have pretty good demos.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

FKNA is right.

How do you guys think the conditions are going to hold up over the next couple weeks? Contemplating a quick trip to visit my brother in Silverthorne for a week and it looks like high pressure might be settling in your world for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    FKNA is right.

How do you guys think the conditions are going to hold up over the next couple weeks? Contemplating a quick trip to visit my brother in Silverthorne for a week and it looks like high pressure might be settling in your world for a bit.
    This time of year the conditions generally hold up pretty well, especially on north facing stuff. The sun never hits it. It'll get hard packed, but just chalky, not icy.

I do love chalky, we don't get that much back here on the ice coast.

thanks mang

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    If the demo fleet at the Basin isn't up to par (and I have no idea if it is or not) you could try Bent Gate or Powder 7 in Golden, I think both of those shops have pretty good demos.
    Or make your way to Slope Style in Breck and I'd be happy to give a mag a free demo

Very warm out, hopefully we can get something out of this system headed here. At least even just a little snow and wind to buff things out would be nice.

Busy day, lots of team summit children clogging everything up. But overall sun and that good wind grooming made it really fun.

Team Summit apparently didn't get the memo that A-Basin sucks (literally) and Breck/Keystone have much better skiing.

Crowds yesterday (and folks parking down the hwy) reminded me of the old Epic days. Didn't ski Saturday but one of the dudes working in the lot said it was the busiest day of the season so far. Al has limited the number of passes and daily tickets, but IKONers are a huge variable. Based on friends burning quickly through their days (due to massive crowds at Copper and WP) maybe we'll see a dip before too long.

Speaking of Al, I ran into him a few weeks back in High Noon ironically around noon ("I'm really good at directing traffic"). Gotta love his management style.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Team Summit apparently didn't get the memo that A-Basin sucks (literally) and Breck/Keystone have much better skiing.

Crowds yesterday (and folks parking down the hwy) reminded me of the old Epic days. Didn't ski Saturday but one of the dudes working in the lot said it was the busiest day of the season so far. Al has limited the number of passes and daily tickets, but IKONers are a huge variable. Based on friends burning quickly through their days (due to massive crowds at Copper and WP) maybe we'll see a dip before too long.

Speaking of Al, I ran into him a few weeks back in High Noon ironically around noon ("I'm really good at directing traffic"). Gotta love his management style.
    It was the team summit foundation cup...a free big mountain/mogul competition not just for the Team Summit kids, but for the local community in general. Team summit donates coaching and A-Basin donates lift tickets for any and all kids who wanted to come out and try it. It is a great event. My kid did this a few years back and getting to compete in a low-key event like that at a young age helped cement his love for big mountain skiing. He now competes in the IFSA competitions.

At any rate...yeah it was crowded, but good things were happening for a lot of kids yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I ended up skiing at Vail yesterday instead (friend from grad school happened to be on a trip there so I coughed up the extra $100 and 30 minutes of driving to see him), but I was able to hit up Bent Gate and try out some Deathwish 104s. Not a lot of places to demo Moments and they are on my list for my next daily driver so it great to try them.

Despite the fresh snow that fell Monday night, skiing was pretty shit. I don't know Vail well (and its so damn huge) so part of the problem may have been that it took me all day to find decent snow, but I guess it had been warm and sunny recently so it was just a couple of inches on top of nasty refrozen crud.

There's a reason stuff still looked like this at 3PM...you ski it once and then you say "that sucked, let me try somewhere else"

Name:	IMG_1480.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	447880

Yeah - Back Bowls after sun? No thanks.

Someone should have told your buddy that Vail sucks.