Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I wonder what he thought and felt on the way down?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I better steel myself for impact.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I better steel myself for impact.
    This is ironic

Do they need to discard the vat of steel? Are impurities introduced in any significant way?

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Most likely he's slag now

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Most likely he's slag now
    So if you'll Fall into molten iron, you become a mess(y) and ski Utah?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

^
    snort

A waste product that is thrown away?

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Do they need to discard the vat of steel? Are impurities introduced in any significant way?

Quantities of magnesium, calcium and zinc in the body are likely not enough to change the chemistry of the furnace charge… the carbon, may actually be a benefit to the final alloy chemistry and save a few cents per ton.

Medical care isn’t expensive because of medical malpractice lawsuits.

Frequently called “defensive medicine,” some doctors will prescribe unnecessary tests or treatment out of fear of facing a lawsuit. The cost for these treatments increases over time—a study has shown14 that the average price of defensive medicine is around $100 to $180 billion yearly.

We spend $4.1 trillion on healthcare.

We spend $4.1 trillion on healthcare.
    Indeed. Our government spends TWICE as much per person as most European countries yet things still suck as bad as they do here. We are the sickest (and fattest) country on the planet despite spending obscene amounts of money, both by the Feds AND by individuals who get utterly crushed by healthcare costs, between worthless, insanely expensive insurance, medical bills, and Rx costs.

We are doing SO many things wrong, it's infuriating.

Defensive medicine is mostly a myth. If a doctor orders a test because there's a small chance it might detect something serious that test is probably justified, a the patient who has that something serious would agree. If a doctor gets sued because they didn't order a test that would have detected something serious they screwed up. The great majority of docs order stuff in good faith because they don't want to miss something. And because it's how we're trained.

Unnecessary operations are a different story. A lot of that is greed.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Defensive medicine is mostly a myth. If a doctor orders a test because there's a small chance it might detect something serious that test is probably justified, a the patient who has that something serious would agree. If a doctor gets sued because they didn't order a test that would have detected something serious they screwed up. The great majority of docs order stuff in good faith because they don't want to miss something. And because it's how we're trained.

If something is wrong with me, and we cannot figure out what it is, i appreciate when the Dr says fuckit and throws the proverbial book at it and orders a bunch of tests. Money is cheap, life (or quality of it) is priceless IMO.

As that patient, I agree. More defensive medicine, well-targeted, would be less expensive. In lots of ways.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

And I'm sure you might agree that lab tests ain't the problem. Tests are (often) relatively inexpensive and can really assist docs in helping patients nipping issues in the bud. Especially when it helps a minor problem from becoming a major one. What's sweet is there are independent lab companies around town that can give you a whole giant battery of tests for dirt cheap. At least here.

Certainly we must have greater problems than that when it comes to our costs, right? As an actual doctor, what would you say are the highest factors in our extreme costs? Pharmaceuticals? Administrative costs? Honest question as I've only been on the receiving end of healthcare, and never on your end of things.

It's definitely not the three quarters of a trillion dollars of revenue brought in by the top five health insurers last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    It's definitely not the three quarters of a trillion dollars of revenue brought in by the top five health insurers last year.
    Bingo

Insurance is a huge part of it. Medicare spends 5% on administration, the rest goes to providers. Private insurance sends 75% to providers. But Medicare costs are still high. High cost of drugs, fee-for-service medicine, high executive compensation, high physician compensation, poor preventative care, poor community health due to income disparities, systemic racism, are all factors. Give me time and I could think of more, but it won't change anything.

Insurance is a huge part of it. Medicare spends 5% on administration, the rest goes to providers. Private insurance sends 75% to providers. But Medicare costs are still high. High cost of drugs, fee-for-service medicine, high executive compensation, high physician compensation, poor preventative care, poor community health due to income disparities, systemic racism, are all factors. Give me time and I could think of more, but it won't change anything.
    Defensive medicine might be a very small part. A lot of what people call defensive medicine is insurance providers requiring an extensive battery of diagnostics even if the problem is easily diagnosed clinically.

High cost of drugs, fee-for-service medicine, high executive compensation, high physician compensation, poor preventative care, poor community health due to income disparities, systemic racism, are all factors. Give me time and I could think of more, but it won't change anything.
    So in a nutshell, A+B+C+D+E+F+G+... = a Butt Ton of costs, huh? Frustrating how there's no simple solution to it all. At least nothing that we're willing to do, perhaps starting with banning lobbying by pharmaceutical, insurance, medical companies, food industries (see HFCS), etc.

I mean, we could look at how the countries that do it best do it, and take a stab at i that way (some form of universal healthcare based on positive outcomes). We could do the same thing with the gun death problem. But we won't. The system isn't broken. It's working exactly as designed. Keep voting repub there dumbass and keep the fat cats rolling in it.

In a slight effort to redeem myself and turn this thread back towards topic, the litigiousness of the US is frustrating and is a powerful drag on quality of life.
    sigless.

I remember when I had my uncontrolled slide for life as I got moving and was getting closer to the trees thinking “okay, this is it”.

Is there a thread about this? I'd like to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Is there a thread about this? I'd like to hear more.
    Don’t think that I started a thread but I’ve posted about it before. My friends on patrol and I agree that I should be dead though.

Don’t think that I started a thread but I’ve posted about it before. My friends on patrol and I agree that I should be dead though.

Meh, some of us have 9 lives, I have used maybe 5.

I took a 1000 vert by 2200 linear ride in a D4 hard slab and all I could think was, "damn I cannot believe this is happening", there was 1 lone tree in the runout and I was worried about hitting it. Walked away with a bruise on my ass and 2 missing skis. Found them that summer.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Meh, some of us have 9 lives, I have used maybe 5.

I took a 1000 vert by 2200 linear ride in a D4 hard slab and all I could think was, "damn I cannot believe this is happening", there was 1 lone tree in the runout and I was worried about hitting it. Walked away with a bruise on my ass and 2 missing skis. Found them that summer.
    My friend Brad, the patrol director, went up and got my skis the next day. He said I sheared off the first tree that I hit, a 6” white bark pine, about a foot off the snow. I cartwheeled through a bunch more smaller trees for another 300vf. I slid down this icy gully about 400vf above the trees. I was stupid and farming the wind blown new snow out in Microwave Bowl at Mission. I hopped of the cornice think it was soft and managed to stop but lost my edges on the first turn. It was around 45 degrees at the top and like a hockey rink. I really thought that I was going to die, but didn’t freak out it was weird. Anyway I wound up hitting the tree flat on my back just right of my spine. I broke my scapula in two places and five ribs. Pulled my ribs of my sternum and all my floating ribs were sprung. Tore my recuts muscle at the costal margin. I had a liver laceration, pneumo thorax with basically a flail chest. No loss of consciousness but I think I was concussed, I hit my head a couple times cartwheeling. Got a chest tube, epidural for pain and four nights in the hospital for observation.

^Holy shit. Hope you’re 100% now. Jeebus.
    Uno mas