Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    ^Holy shit. Hope you’re 100% now. Jeebus.
    That was March 2014. I’m able to do everything I did before but I’m way more conservative than I used to be and I do have chronic pain issues. Overall I consider myself lucky and just keep living

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    My friend Brad, the patrol director, went up and got my skis the next day. He said I sheared off the first tree that I hit, a 6” white bark pine, about a foot off the snow. I cartwheeled through a bunch more smaller trees for another 300vf. I slid down this icy gully about 400vf above the trees. I was stupid and farming the wind blown new snow out in Microwave Bowl at Mission. I hopped of the cornice think it was soft and managed to stop but lost my edges on the first turn. It was around 45 degrees at the top and like a hockey rink. I really thought that I was going to die, but didn’t freak out it was weird. Anyway I wound up hitting the tree flat on my back just right of my spine. I broke my scapula in two places and five ribs. Pulled my ribs of my sternum and all my floating ribs were sprung. Tore my recuts muscle at the costal margin. I had a liver laceration, pneumo thorax with basically a flail chest. No loss of consciousness but I think I was concussed, I hit my head a couple times cartwheeling. Got a chest tube, epidural for pain and four nights in the hospital for observation.
    Holy balls, dude! Glad you're alive!

x2. That is a harrowing story.

Seen some loooong slides for life including a fatality down 3rd gully at Big Sky, horrible to see. Glad you made it.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I no longer ski hard snow in steep terrain, obviously. Until something like that happens it’s hard to appreciate how easy it is to happen but how you’re basically helpless

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    So in a nutshell, A+B+C+D+E+F+G+... = a Butt Ton of costs, huh? Frustrating how there's no simple solution to it all. At least nothing that we're willing to do, perhaps starting with banning lobbying by pharmaceutical, insurance, medical companies, food industries (see HFCS), etc.
    Whoa. Aren't you a Republican/conservative??? Ban lobbying??? How un-American. You Commie. And ya, ban lobbying. I fully agree. But if it was, it'd be overturned by the supreme court in a hot second, probably before the ink was even dry.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Make our tort law reflect what most of Europe has and then sure. In the meantime, our sue happy country is no small part of why medical care costs so much to begin with.

Can we adopt "loser pays" here too? That would pretty much stop all frivolous suits in their tracks because you better have a damn good case if you don't want to lose your ass as the plaintiff. Wanna have the Law Offices of Buttstein and Buttstein sue for millions of dollars cuz you stubbed your toe walking into a McDonald's? Go for it! Be prepared to pay up tho.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Money buys Justice in America. But for most of us, no lawyer will take a frivolous case unless we pay them hourly, up front with a retainer . Otherwise, they will work for a % because it’s a slam dunk.

A loser pays system would only benefit the rich in court more.

Defensive medicine might be a very small part. A lot of what people call defensive medicine is insurance providers requiring an extensive battery of diagnostics even if the problem is easily diagnosed clinically.

That's another one. But I see it at Kaiser too, which doesn't require authorization, loses money with unnecessary tests. Someone gets a ministroke. Gets an ultrasound that shows 90% narrowing of the carotid. Which is all I need. But radiologists suggests confirming with CT angiogram, which the med doc orders, and the next xr doc suggests confirming with an MR angio, which the patient gets. It's how we're trained. No intern was ever chewed out for ordering too many tests, only for not ordering, because that's how the resident supervising them was treated as an intern. There is no training in cost effective medicine. I have a cardiologist who manages my lipids because I don't tolerate the usual drugs and I'm at high risk. I'm on a regimen that works, but she wants new lipid tests every 6 months, for no reason I can see.

My friend Brad, the patrol director, went up and got my skis the next day. He said I sheared off the first tree that I hit, a 6” white bark pine, about a foot off the snow. I cartwheeled through a bunch more smaller trees for another 300vf. I slid down this icy gully about 400vf above the trees. I was stupid and farming the wind blown new snow out in Microwave Bowl at Mission. I hopped of the cornice think it was soft and managed to stop but lost my edges on the first turn. It was around 45 degrees at the top and like a hockey rink. I really thought that I was going to die, but didn’t freak out it was weird. Anyway I wound up hitting the tree flat on my back just right of my spine. I broke my scapula in two places and five ribs. Pulled my ribs of my sternum and all my floating ribs were sprung. Tore my recuts muscle at the costal margin. I had a liver laceration, pneumo thorax with basically a flail chest. No loss of consciousness but I think I was concussed, I hit my head a couple times cartwheeling. Got a chest tube, epidural for pain and four nights in the hospital for observation.

Sounds exactly like my slide for life in Chute 75 at Olympic. Except I didn't break any trees. Just a pole trying to arrest. And the body of T3 (fused), ribs in 14 places, acetabulum (minor), several transverse processes (of no consequence). Like you I was skiing wind blown. The day before, with the same wind blowing snow into the gully it was soft, smooth, and as joyous a surface as I've ever skied on. I lapped it as long as it lasted. The next day, same wind blowing snow in, the powder had slid off on hard water ice. I managed one turn, but slid out trying to traverse back to West Face, which had 3 feet of soft snow, and tumbled back first into a tree. And patrol brought my skis and poles (including the broken one) down with me.

Well I crashed on a cat track and broke my pelvis.

Technically it was the rocks below the cat track that broke that shit but wutev.

Defensive medicine might be a very small part. A lot of what people call defensive medicine is insurance providers requiring an extensive battery of diagnostics even if the problem is easily diagnosed clinically.

I no longer ski hard snow in steep terrain, obviously. Until something like that happens it’s hard to appreciate how easy it is to happen but how you’re basically helpless

That's the way i feel about it--and if I ever make it back into 75 I'll wait and watch someone else drop it first. My fall wasn't the first time I did that chute and found unpleasant conditions at the top. My bones break way too easy.