Thread: Jacked up ribs

Jacked up ribs

I jacked up my ribs a couple weeks ago in a hockey game. Can't believe I've never had a rib cage injury prior to this. 12 days later, and it still hurts! Takin regular ibuprofen. I can only take the dogs for walks for exercise, and it sucks! I mean, i like walking the dogs, but, fkna i want to go skiing...

I don't have any clicking in the cage at all, so a doctor friend told me the cartilage that connects them all is just bruised up, take 4-6 weeks to get better. Anything I can do to speed recovery? Anything i really SHOULDN'T do?

Thanks yo!
    sigless.

Don't sneeze

Don't wrap them.

Get a spirometer and use it frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I jacked up my ribs a couple weeks ago in a hockey game. Can't believe I've never had a rib cage injury prior to this. 12 days later, and it still hurts! Takin regular ibuprofen. I can only take the dogs for walks for exercise, and it sucks! I mean, i like walking the dogs, but, fkna i want to go skiing...

I don't have any clicking in the cage at all, so a doctor friend told me the cartilage that connects them all is just bruised up, take 4-6 weeks to get better. Anything I can do to speed recovery? Anything i really SHOULDN'T do?

Thanks yo!
    I've broken them 3 or 4 times--lost count--and strained them a couple more. The strained ribs--torn muscles between the ribs--took as long to heal as the broken ones. Other than the obvious--don't do it if it hurts a lot--there's nothing more you can do. Oh, yeah--and try not to get sick.

Don't cough. Don't sneeze. Sleep on your good side. Get a chest xray to confirm no ribs have displaced fractures over vulnerable areas.

For most people Acetaminophen and Nsaids. All your doctor about lidocaine patches, Toradol, and gabapentin.

This will happen again if you like to rip. Embrace the pain.

Patience.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Say no to ibuprofen

You want inflammation. For healing

Acetaminophen is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Say no to ibuprofen

You want inflammation. For healing

Acetaminophen is better.
    This is correct. I should have been more specific as I lumped nsaids including ibuprofen and toradol in with the analgesics.

If you are looking for fast healing. I think you were, I would avoid ibuprofen and toradol. If you are looking for pain relief to go shred then you might consider taking them in short bursts. Not daily. Consult your physician.

Avoid your comical buds

Copy that. No jokes. We did some shit the other night that had me in stitches, and it hurt.
    sigless.

When you're close to the last straw and think you'll go insane, it will get better like flipping a switch the next day.

Quit being such a pansy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The data on nsaids and fracture healing (if this is a fracture and not strain) sucks and is contradictory. I've never had any trouble healing my own multiple rib fractures on nsaids. or my sternotomy, or my spinal fusion, FWIW (not much). If I had a patient with a high risk of not healing a fracture--diabetic smoker on steroids with a lower tibia fracture-- I would probably avoid nsaids and stick to acetaminophen and opiates. Ribs heal, and if they don't it will because the particular fracture is too mobile, not because of nsaids. Separation between the rib and the cartilage doesn't really heal because why should it. The parts are held together by the surrounding tissue, which will heal.

As far as coughing--while you don't want to get a cold or pneumonia and be coughing constantly, pain control should be good enough that you can cough effectively and a couple good coughs every few hours while help prevent pneumonia.

I came here for the cooking thread. Most disappoint.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Rereading this that did me is proof that having covid and migraine headache creates significant cortical depression with resultant retarded posts. I am out until recovered.

^^^ ouch.
    Yeah mine is turning out to not be that bad. 2 weeks to the day now, and yesterday morning felt significantly better. My Dr friend said, no worries with ibuprofen, so i stuck with it. Definitely still sore and some pain, but way better than it was.
    I didn't have a real good set of expectations having not injured my rib cage before. Gonna have me thinking twice before bombing popperton park next time it snows.
    sigless.

Next time--just post that it's an upper body injury or a lower body injury. There's no telling who you play hockey with that might be reading this thread. And the advice you get here will be just as good as if you had posted your full medical record with xrays.

We should have a maggot SL County adult hockey league summit.
    sigless.

Jacked up ribs

well fuck

beatering onto really hard snow fkn sucks

I’ve found that having a couple of those giant squishy ice packs is really helpful for a lot of things. For ribs you can lay down on it on the hurt side with pillows for props. Chill for 30 min. Hot shower after to get blood flow back in the area. Repeat.

Don’t try to do too much too fast. But it’s kinda like a vasectomy - you feel ok-ish so you do a little bit of stuff because you’re bored and then it’s fkn worse.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Wait .... did you choke yer porpoise too soon?????

no but I walked around and did chores and stuff because I was feeling ok then I wasn’t

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I came here for the cooking thread. Most disappoint.
    ok here’s a recipe

start with one old hippy skier

add one easy hike up 1000’ to ski before the lifts turn

mix in one wrong turn with a ski going away

add in a really hard SLAM on the stiff groom

subtract the ski pole I dropped that I got to look at while I slid hard way down below it

points for watching my ski go a long way fast

bonus for the walk down to get my ski

extra points for actually skiing on my gear rather than walking home

in other words

fucking god damn it

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Don't cough. Don't sneeze. Sleep on your good side. Get a chest xray to confirm no ribs have displaced fractures over vulnerable areas.

For most people Acetaminophen and Nsaids. All your doctor about lidocaine patches, Toradol, and gabapentin.

This will happen again if you like to rip. Embrace the pain.

Patience.

Checking in on this thread. Just over two weeks out and yeah it sucks. I slammed into a wind lip. Heard a pop. A couple. At the speed I was going, not surprised at all that I am still hurting this far out. X rays were negative. Talked to a rn here at work and she said it will be 6 weeks. Bruised ribs with a bonus of popped cartilage at the sternum. I asked when I could go skiing again, and she said well you can ski anytime, just don't fall and know that it might just hurt like hell.

Been switching off between aspirin, and ibuprofen, with a heavy dose of sativa. Pretty much took 1/2 oxycodones in order to sleep for the 1st 10 days. Now just a gummy and i am good to go.

I have to say, this is going to be one of the hardest things I have recovered from. And I have blown out my knees 3 times.

Buck up and rest. Don't do anything that might set me back, chill and I'll be good to go next year.

I am a skier.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Oooff, good luck on the heal fkncat!

Have you tried this?

https://www.amazon.com/HealthCareAis...s%2C141&sr=8-5
    Last edited by SB; Yesterday at 06:47 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k you cat View Post
    Checking in on this thread. Just over two weeks out and yeah it sucks. I slammed into a wind lip. Heard a pop. A couple. At the speed I was going, not surprised at all that I am still hurting this far out. X rays were negative. Talked to a rn here at work and she said it will be 6 weeks. Bruised ribs with a bonus of popped cartilage at the sternum. I asked when I could go skiing again, and she said well you can ski anytime, just don't fall and know that it might just hurt like hell.

Been switching off between aspirin, and ibuprofen, with a heavy dose of sativa. Pretty much took 1/2 oxycodones in order to sleep for the 1st 10 days. Now just a gummy and i am good to go.

I have to say, this is going to be one of the hardest things I have recovered from. And I have blown out my knees 3 times.

Buck up and rest. Don't do anything that might set me back, chill and I'll be good to go next year.

I am a skier.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    As a Browns fan you don’t deserve this. You’ve suffered enough. Heal quick.