Non-AIARE Level 1 Avy Course

After recovering from a very long-term injury, I'm finally getting back on snow this winter (yay) and am planning to get my level 1 avy education (also yay). A respected local guiding outfit has openings, but it's not an AIARE-recognized course. Is this a concern with regards to the course curriculum or quality of the education? Will it cause logistical issues for me down the road should I choose to pursue further avy education? Thanks in advance for the help.

Course info HERE.

AIARE isn't everything. Quality of instructors and curriculum matters more than AIARE affiliation. There are great non-AIARE courses and less than great AIARE courses.

If the course meets American Avalanche Association (i.e. A3) level one standards it should not hinder you on future progress. You can find a list of A3 endorsed providers here: https://avalanche.org/avalanche-cour...urse-providers

If they aren't endorsed by the A3, it is worth a conversation with that outfit as to why they are not before signing up.

Non-AIARE Level 1 Avy Course

Nothing wrong with more education and I’m not suggesting to skip the course. But, if you don’t have much touring experience, you might get more out of just hiring a guide for a day or two and be clear about what you want to learn. You’ll likely get in more skiing this way too

Go out a few times and then sign up for a multi day course. These courses can be information overload if you don’t have some amount of practical experience.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What doebedoe said. Ensuring that your provider is endorsed by A3 and choosing a school with an excellent reputation is most important.

I don't know anything about Sun Valley Guides except I don't see them on the A3 list, and that would concern me.

Quote Originally Posted by dexterq20 View Post
    Course info HERE.
    ”Students will receive a certification of completion for a Level 1 Avalanche Training Course as outlined by the American Avalanche Association.”

Not sure exactly what this means.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

^^^ It means the course will follow A3 guidelines for a L1 course. A cert. for an L1 class is a nice thing to hang on a wall or wipe your nose with.

These courses can be information overload if you don’t have some amount of practical experience.
    QFT

https://sawtoothguides.com/aiare-avalanche-courses/
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I don't know anything about Sun Valley Guides except I don't see them on the A3 list, and that would concern me.
    It looks like they used to be Sun Valley Trekking, who is on the list: https://svguides.com/about. So maybe they just haven't updated the A3 site with the "new" (4 year old) name.
    Worth a call to Sun Valley Guides though to ask about their relationship with A3 and where they got their curriculum.

Most likely you'll be just fine with Joe and Franci's operation and their guides. For most recreational courses, even into Level 2 courses, the differences between AIARE and AAA are pretty minimal. I've taken both a A3 Level 2 and a AIARE Level 2 and couldn't really tell much difference.

Any avalanche education for a recreational user is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ”Students will receive a certification of completion for a Level 1 Avalanche Training Course as outlined by the American Avalanche Association.”

Not sure exactly what this means.
    It means the course follows the guidelines from the American Avalanche Association. This addresses the OP's original question - that the course is recognized and compatible with other courses being offered in the US. In this case, yes it is.

Could care less about an AIARE course as long as it's recognized by A3 as others have said. I did my Level 1 at CMC in Breckenridge years ago (probably need a refresher myself) and all of the instructors also taught classes elsewhere that were AIARE certified.