Mammut Airbag controversy in Switzerland

In January 2021, in the surrounding area near Verbier, a guide was killed in an avalanche while guiding clients. It occurred in an area frequented by many skiers of varying off-piste levels of experience. Though in my memory of January 2021, the particular area had not been extensively frequented by skiers prior to the accident. It was a hotly discussed event in the local area. At least one of the guide's family members publicly asked people to refrain from public criticism. Recently, a local paper released an article about the a cantonal authority publishing the results of an investigation into the accident.

I have found a few articles on the subject, but most of them seem to be of the questionable variety (i.e machine translated or otherwise processed by some kind of AI based program)

Here is the The original article from a local paper in French

https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/valais/...nforme-1233841

Here is a somewhat poorly translated version, which seems to also have some extra information about the testing controversy related to the incident.

https://switzerlandtimes.ch/news/war...-an-avalanche/

We did have an exceptionally dangerous season in 2021. I witnessed several incidents that season. Some including burials, some not, but it really is impressive to see propagation occur before one's very eyes.
    "Sometimes nuthin' is a real cool hand"

194 posts in about 20 years. Wow.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

So let's discourage the OP from posting more. Great idea!

Death to TGR! bring out the pitchforks

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

It did not sound like discouragement to me.

Mammut correctly questions the results of a test from an non-certified facility. RIP

Yeah, don't log on too much anymore - since a long time ago... I peruse now and then. I was much more active back when we were actually maggots, prior to the death of the former forum.
    "Sometimes nuthin' is a real cool hand"

Well, welcome back!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Thx for the article.

«Nous ne comprenons pas les résultats du test», poursuit Mammut.
    Indeed.

Any opinions on the actual airbag?

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Dans un communiqué diffusé mercredi soir et cité par Keystone-ATS, le fabricant, l’entreprise suisse Mammut, conteste vivement l’expertise du Ministère public valaisan. «Les résultats du test, mené par un laboratoire non autorisé, sont trompeurs. Ils discréditent la marque de façon injuste», critique la société. Mammut regrette de n’avoir pas été associé aux tests et dit n’avoir pris connaissance du communiqué des autorités que moins de trente minutes avant sa publication.

«Nous ne comprenons pas les résultats du test», poursuit Mammut. La société rappelle qu’aucune démarche juridique n’a été entreprise contre elle. «Les airbags Mammut ont passé les tests établis au plan mondial et sont largement supérieurs aux exigences légales», déclare la marque fondée en 1862.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    194 posts in about 20 years. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Any opinions on the actual airbag?

Yeah. Makers telemark blows hot air quite often.

PM rontele for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Yeah. Makers telemark blows hot air quite often.

PM rontele for more details.
    And you dont?
    I read the english article linked by the op. To me it just doesnt have any real data on further testing or what they did to test it. Their methodology to support their arguemdnt in the case. It also didnt have any data on the original incident when the guide died apart from the balloon seperated from the bag. It didnt say what kind of slide, how big it was, did he get dragged through trees , rocks or debris? Did the tuv look into it? If the arguement was bs it might be best for mammut to sue them for creating a false narrative that hurt their business. Why wouldnt the lawyers have the tuv test for the seperation?