Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fuck Alzheimers

Fuck Alzheimers

My wife Maria is only 54 and was diagnosed almost 2 years ago with Alzheimers.

Suffice to say our world has been turned upside down and then some.

It's been a shit show of worry, balling my eyes out and frustration. To see the sharpest tool in the shred go from always being on top of things to needing help with almost everything is heartbreaking. It happened that fast although I'm told it starts years prior. Usually when this happens at a young age life expectancy isn't long. I was told 6 to 10 years. Fuck that.

I try not to give up hope but that's in short supply right now because she's getting worse.

Therefore FUCK ALZHEIMERS

Ahh shit, sorry to hear that.

FUCK ALZHEIMERS

Fuck. Sorry to hear. It's an evil disease. My ex-MIL has it and it's slowly heartbreaking.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Kenny, I wish I had something positive to say here. Its a brutal disease that robs people of their dignity and puts huge strain on their caretakers and loved ones. So sorry to hear. 54 is way, way too young.

dam, hang in Kenny, tough road.

FUCK ALZHEIMERS

My wife use to solely nurse alzheimers patients, she really enjoyed it and threw herself into the job of providing quality care. Then family was diagnosed, it was her kryptonite.

Fuck. Damn. Fuck. Shit. Fuck.

Terrible news, Sorry to hear it and yes, FUCK Alzheimers.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Feel for you Kenny.

My SIL has always been the loudest one in the room and the center of attention per her personality, just gregarious and vivacious. Then we noticed an abrupt change in behavior between visits a year ago July to October with a couple WTF??? moments.

She's now much more quiet and reserved, has developed real difficulty with directions. She walked into the kitchen and asked where the fridge was... um where it's always been, right there in front of you? All of a sudden the obvious is not so obvious.

She was diagnosed this Spring with Lewy Body and also given that ~10yrs prognosis, she's barely 60. Names and faces are OK but so much of what made her who she was is altered.

My Mrs is a mess over it and I wanna cry just thinking about it.

Fuck All Dementia.

Move upside and let the man go through...

Very sorry to hear this Kenny.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Goddammit.

dammit to hell... sounds like the worst thing in the world.

thinking of you, kenny.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Really sorry to hear, Kenny. FUCK ALZHEIMER'S and every other type of dementia.

>>hugs<< K.
    I think I've oozed over my experience with dementia enough here.

But there are various things to try. There's lots of quacks out there, but there's some studies that link various forms of dementia to diet.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6918878/ .
    https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/fo...eimers-disease

There's a Ted talk on youtube where a doctor is able to reduce the effects of her husband's dementia by diet change.
    (edit)

Anyway, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

That's horrible, man. Really sorry you guys have to go though that. HS buddy has early onset and it's just the worst disease. Serious vibes to you and your family.

I'm so sorry to hear that Kenny. My mother was diagnosed about four years ago and I can't find the words to describe the experience for her and for us. It's been the hardest thing I've ever gone through. We have taken some heart that although she struggles with recall (she routinely asks me if I live close to my parents, have siblings, etc.), her personality hasn't changed, and we're still able to play music together (badly, in my case).

On my last visit (the one where I blocked their pocket door with toggle bolts when installing a new towel bar, I bitched about it on a different thread), my dad was trying to get rid of some extra chocolate and asked "Dan, do you and Mrs PDX eat chocolate?" I looked at him deadpan and said "exclusively." My mom got a good laugh out of that, just like she would have before her diagnosis. We try to focus on the bright moments, because there aren't as many as there used to be.

Fuck Alzheimer's with a flaming chainsaw.

Damn Kenny, 54 is so young. Sorry to hear this. A distant family member has been struggling with this, and apparently one of the meds they put her on really stabilized her condition. Her impaired cognitive skills aren’t getting any worse. I hope something similar can be found in your situation.

I’m with you Kenny, fuck alzheimers! My grandfather went slowly and died in his late sixties. My uncle went quickly and died in his 50’s. It was horrible watching them devolve.

I’m terrified of getting it. My biggest fear is being a burden on my family. There are a few drugs in trials that show promise. I hope they can develop something to cure this horrible disease.

So very wrong. We all whine about our physical issues (joints, connective tissue, muscles, bones) but they pale in comparison to brain probs.
    Hoping for anything to ease the pain for all concerned.

Oh man, Kenny, I'm so sorry to hear that. Hang in there as best you can. Remember we live in an age of medical miracles and smart people are working on Alzheimer's this very minute. Fuck Alzheimer's for sure.

That sucks, bad. I hope it goes forward as well as possible for her and hers, and you.

Mega vibes to you and your family man, that is way rough.

I lost my grandpa to the disease last year, the decline was very obvious to me as I only saw him a couple times a year and he was a different person every time. He didn't recognize me at the end and that was a huge punch in the gut.
    I work in the field and have met very young people with the disease. It's heartbreaking. The family takes a huge beating, more so than with any other condition. We still have pretty much no clue how it works and are very much grasping at straws in the drug discovery field. Lots of hypotheses have gone down in flame in the clinic, nothing moves the needle for now. It's bad. Makes cancer look like an easy disease to treat...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

It's hard to think of anything worse. But it sounds like she's at least lucky to have you. More than any other disease Alzheimer's affects everyone around person who has it--it's almost worse for the family than for the victim. Or maybe not almost.

Thank you for all the kind responses.
    Some really hit home.

Kenny, I am terribly sorry for you and your Maria. I can't fathom what you and your family are going through, and only hope that you all have the strength to take care of each other as best as possible during this completely unfair hand y'all have been dealt.

I lost my paternal grandfather to Alzheimer's, and like others have said, I'm terrified of it.

FUCK ALZHEIMERS and other dementia.

So sorry again,
    I still call it The Jake.

Fuck Alzheimers

So sorry, Kenny. All I can say is make the most of this time you have. Collect her stories and her history. Take some videos so that you have a record of the person she is. The progress is gradual and insidious and you find yourself a few years in realizing you can’t fully remember the person they once were, which is crushing.

We lost my mom to PSP last year at a pretty young age. What I carry most is guilt of all the things we didn’t do while we were busy worrying about what was to come.

Fuck Alzheimer’s
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.