Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I actually opened my 1980 Christmas present, Rossi FM skis.. The bindings were like 6" different on each ski. One was mounted ball of foot and the other was mounted midsole. Needless to say they went back to the shop Dec 26th and replaced and mounted immediately.

I knew the kid who did it, owner's son. He told me he sas totally lit when he fucked them up and knew they'd be back. Then he laughed and asked if I thought it was funny now that it's all good. Definitely.. LOL
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I actually opened my 1980 Christmas present, Rossi FM skis.. The bindings were like 6" different on each ski. One was mounted ball of foot and the other was mounted midsole. Needless to say they went back to the shop Dec 26th and replaced and mounted immediately.

I knew the kid who did it, owner's son. He told me he sas totally lit when he fucked them up and knew they'd be back. Then he laughed and asked if I thought it was funny now that it's all good. Definitely.. LOL
    I’d demand half of his stash for the trouble.

And while we’re on the topic. The high school intake shop rat was there today and said he couldn’t read his own notes on the slip. Definitely a burner. Nothing wrong with that. I was a burnt shop rat myself at his age.

That said it was the chief tech that did the mount so someone had to remove my masking taped and marked mount instructions. I’m happy to write it off as a stoner move but as far as I can tell, a guy with a business card on the counter did the job.

Also, these STH 16s are burly as shit on these boards and I’m so glad they still make a driver binding.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I’d demand half of his stash for the trouble.
    Oh plenty of safety meetings were had before and after.. I felt bad for my mom though... She was pretty bummed when the gift turned out to be a disaster.. temporary though
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Djongo, you being up a point someone else did today. What if the shop finds another pair of these ‘22 Candide 2.0s and mounts em properly; what of the mismounts?

Personally I said I don’t care; goal is indemnification - put me in the same position I’d be if everything went to plan.

Girl said, you think they’d want to keep mis-drilled boards? I said if they don’t I’ll definitely take em, but I’d never expect them.

In my case finding another pair was decidedly unpossible. As a young bum I decided to let them make the call and they offered them back.
    If they had another pair of the Seth's, I felt they'd have a better argument to keep them. Maybe make the shop guy buy the mismount.

Maybe play it that way if it's a true unicorn... You love THAT ski. Either way you come out with the Faction then.

def a sucky position to be in. Felt bad for the tech. He was petrified.

eta: I'm mounting sth2 16's on my new volkl m102's. My first pair of fresh solly's that dont say equipe or start with a 9 in about 25 years.
    Fucking pumped.

Yikes. One of my high school professors was having his sailboat taken to Hawaii for him for his sabbatical year and in the process it got stolen and used in a similar fashion. Nasty people out there at sea.

Also, that’s an epic fuck up on the marlin boat.
    That's polite of you to say but I was just making fun of the inevitable "could be worse!" response you got, and also given to anyone complaining on the internet. i don't get the need to put someone in their place when something bad or annoying happens to them and then one-up them. Do they do that to their wives too? Ha, no they don't.

"Of course it could be worse, and it could be a lot better too asshole!"

I blame my mom. "You think missing the dance is bad? I knew a man with no legs." And Bmills has cajones.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Local shop mis-mounted my wife's skis several years ago. Took them to get mounted because I didn't have time to get it done myself before Christmas. They plugged the holes and remounted them correctly without asking me what I would like to do. They did tell me about it when I picked them up. Offered 5 free hot waxes. I didn't worry about it too much at the time. Never used the free waxes since I tune my own skis.

However, I did stop purchasing ski gear from them. Between my wife and daughter and I we end up buying quite a bit of new gear every year. Ran into the shop owner one day and he commented that he hadn't seen me in the shop for a while. I let him know why and said no hard feelings but I've just moved on to somewhere else. He seemed to be fine with it (he probably didn't care). I'm not upset but he's lost several thousand dollars of my business.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    eta: I'm mounting sth2 16's on my new volkl m102's. My first pair of fresh solly's that dont say equipe or start with a 9 in about 25 years.
    Fucking pumped.
    Ha! You aren’t kidding. I just looked at some
    of the quiver down in the basement and there isn’t a Driver among em that isn’t an Equipe of
    9 (don’t have any of the old 7-series mounted boards anymore lol).

These new STH2 16s are monsters compared to all of em.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14A5F7EC-6CE9-476D-9888-3E1AAED2007D.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	639.1 KB 
ID:	433142

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    I blame my mom. "You think missing the dance is bad? I knew a man with no legs." And Bmills has cajones.
    Lol. It’s the old “there’s kids in Africa that would love to eat that” routine.

monocoque... cause douocoque would be one coque to many...

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

fact.
    This is GOLD, Jerry!

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

fact.
    It’s kinda the French way to say eat a quiver of coques.

Lol. It’s the old “there’s kids in Africa that would love to eat that” routine.
    Except my mom was talking about Walter Reed in '44. But yeah. It struck me as my buddy with the boat was so calm about it. Like "Whatever" He'd become a multi millionaire the year before when he sold his tech biz. Magnetic tape pc backup systems.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Like I said in my original post I taped them and marked them exactly where I wanted them mounted.

Since I am not in new skis every year anymore it is not practical from a cost standpoint or my time standpoint to have a full shop set up in my garage anymore, as nice as that would be.
    Don't need a full shop setup. Drill (or even a small table top drill press) a table or bench or even a set of saw horses set up. The proper drill bit(s) and a stop or some tape to set the depth if you do not have a drill press that can be set up for max drilling depth. Then paper template, a 3D printed guide for your boot length or a jig if you have all the same bindings...

The wife was giving me shit about mounting our own fucking skis a few years back when buying the kids race stuff. Youngest skis blizzard race skis which they don’t bring into the states anymore so it’s a PIA.

Anyway. I drop them at a well respected pro tuning shop in park city. Dimples the bases on every screw. I find new ones, she insisted I take them to the shop off foothill. Tech didn’t notice that the rubber feet were gone on one side of the jig. Bindings not centered. Pair of skis number 3 I mounted myself without issue. Pissed, I asked her how she would feel if next time she was baking I insisted we get it from the grocery store.

When she got over it she apologized.

Mount your own fucking skis

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Wait, what?

Gonna have to call bullshit on that

It happens rarely.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Haven’t owned a mounting jig in 10+ years.
    Have never owned one, but that hasn't stopped me (maybe it should have--is it worth doing? Tough call).

But I guess you brought skis to a shop in Georgia, right? So while I feel your pain, it's not like you shouldn't have seen this coming. Bubba and Roscoe might be good with the store's camping gear and rebuilding the General Lee's supercharger, but y'all don't get much in the way of skiing down there...
    [quote][//quote]

I’m right there with ya. Except I was on 201cm Solly Super Force 9 3s’

Those were great days.
    Ha, I had those, too. But I'm going to say they weren't a 201--here's the thing (maybe I'm wrong, or maybe Solly didn't always do it this way)...they were PR7's or PR8's, or something. Salomon didn't list cm for them, so people literally didn't know the ski length. Instead they came up with this fekachta numbering system (was it just P7, actually? Not PR?). I or someone I knew measured the 7 or 8 (whatever the long ones were) and they were something like a 195-8.

I loved those skis. They were stolen at Whistler a few years after they came out. I found them in the woods months later where the thief had discarded them--I assume after noticing all the core shots and questionable edges.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    The wife was giving me shit about mounting our own fucking skis a few years back when buying the kids race stuff. Youngest skis blizzard race skis which they don’t bring into the states anymore so it’s a PIA.

Anyway. I drop them at a well respected pro tuning shop in park city. Dimples the bases on every screw. I find new ones, she insisted I take them to the shop off foothill. Tech didn’t notice that the rubber feet were gone on one side of the jig. Bindings not centered. Pair of skis number 3 I mounted myself without issue. Pissed, I asked her how she would feel if next time she was baking I insisted we get it from the grocery store.

Mount your own fucking skis

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The opportunity cost of mounting skis is high for folks like us that work a lot. That being said, this is the way.

Mount your own fucking skis.

Sfb taught me in slc. Then byv the time I could afford new sites and forgotten, Meadow Skipper taught me how to mount dem skis when i loved in NM. Now I go to my neighbors and use a drill press. No full shop needed.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skinipenem; 11-12-2022 at 07:31 AM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You ski?

remember-it-could-be-worse
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post

But I guess you brought skis to a shop in Georgia, right? So while I feel your pain, it's not like you shouldn't have seen this coming. Bubba and Roscoe might be good with the store's camping gear and rebuilding the General Lee's supercharger, but y'all don't get much in the way of skiing down there...
    I don’t know man, according to atlantamom.com, there are seven top-notch ski areas within driving distance of Atlanta. Bubba and Roscoe might actually be pretty good skiers, though more than likely they’re probably fuckin’ snowboarders…

https://atlantamom.com/family-lifest...ce-of-atlanta/

Have never owned one, but that hasn't stopped me (maybe it should have--is it worth doing? Tough call).

Lol, it’s a major American city where you can find anything - including more than enough good skiers that get tons of days in (very few people are “from here”) and ski shops that boast “having 2 boot fitters on staff and techs with over 50 years of experience”. Not much skiing in Manhattan either but I’m positive there’s a functioning shop tech there too.

Ha, I had those, too. But I'm going to say they weren't a 201--here's the thing (maybe I'm wrong, or maybe Solly didn't always do it this way)...they were PR7's or PR8's, or something. Salomon didn't list cm for them, so people literally didn't know the ski length. Instead they came up with this fekachta numbering system (was it just P7, actually? Not PR?). I or someone I knew measured the 7 or 8 (whatever the long ones were) and they were something like a 195-8.

I loved those skis. They were stolen at Whistler a few years after they came out. I found them in the woods months later where the thief had discarded them--I assume after noticing all the core shots and questionable edges.
    Yup, they were Power 8 and as best as we could measure the 3s came in at 201 and my buddy’s 2s were 205s. Great skis. Some of them are in the picture above - my LBD ski. Incredible you were able to find them again like that.

We’ll see what the shop says today, they’re supposed to call me later on. I’ll be sure to tell them I’ll be doing the mounting going forward after these lol.

There used to be lift served skiing in the Bronx, just a few subway stops north of Manhattan.

I've been mounting my own skis for 42 years and will continue to do so. I have a collection of proper bits and the knowledge to use them. Paper jigs are a hassle but if you wait to smoke or have a beer until after you're done they can work well enough. I should get a drill press because it's tough to get the holes perfectly straight by hand but my old drill with 2 levelers on it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    There used to be lift served skiing in the Bronx, just a few subway stops north of Manhattan.

I've been mounting my own skis for 42 years and will continue to do so. I have a collection of proper bits and the knowledge to use them. Paper jigs are a hassle but if you wait to smoke or have a beer until after you're done they can work well enough. I should get a drill press because it's tough to get the holes perfectly straight by hand but my old drill with 2 levelers on it helps.

Lift served in da Bronx? Please post up some deets on that.

I could believe perhaps in Yonkers, the City of Hills - where nothing is on the level. My old man wanted to put in a rope tow at Pelton for the sledders.