Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heated Socks - Reccos

Wondering if anyone has a positive experience with any heated socks brands/models.
    Tried the Sidas for both myself and my wife last year.
    Worked great at first but pretty quickly experienced issues with batteries and the elements in the socks themselves.

I understand a product like this isn't for everyone but for my wife they help extend the day and keep the family out on the hill on the ice coast.

Any reccos are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by huckmadtrix View Post
    Wondering if anyone has a positive experience with any heated socks brands/models.
    Tried the Sidas for both myself and my wife last year.
    Worked great at first but pretty quickly experienced issues with batteries and the elements in the socks themselves.

I understand a product like this isn't for everyone but for my wife they help extend the day and keep the family out on the hill on the ice coast.

Any reccos are appreciated!
    2 seasons with no problems in the Lenz 5.0 toecaps. Getting the new 5.1 with bigger 1800 AH batteries this season (old ones still working fine).

I have a pair of large lenz 5.0 with batteries and an extra pair of socks if anyone is looking for some. I went back to hotronics. The wires on the top of my instep in my plugs were too much.

I grabbed a pair of hotronics socks last year with an REI gift card. Seemed to work well, better than the heated insoles I had. Pretty sure there’s another thread about this with a lot of info but like the OP, I’m too lazy to search for it.

I bought a pair of hotronics in gear swap, been using them the last 2 seasons, work well.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    The wires on the top of my instep in my plugs were too much.
    Ah, interesting. I'm trying out the Hotronic Surround Thins (black and green ones) this season. They appear very similar to the Lenz Toe Caps (heat surrounding toes) but the wires run under rather than on top of foot. Which should cause it's own issues?

Here is other thread that comes up when one searches "heated socks": https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=heated+socks

I have yet to ski them, but they are thin except the material that they run the wires through (so basically sole and toes). I would equate the thicknesses there to that of a padded ski sock. The rest is thin. Not panty hose thin or ultra thin ski sock thin, but thin ski sock thin. No shin padding on the thins and no merino. My hunch is if you have punched for 6th toe these socks will be an issue as the toe heating elements wrap around the foot just in front of the met heads but the material extends back over the met heads a bit (at least on my feet). If you run Zipfits and have lots of awesome room in your toebox, these should kick ass. I hope. I also sized down from size chart due to my skinny, bony feet. For ref I'm a 10.5 / 272mm feet chart says L; I went M. Fit is light compression great.

I think the Lenz 6.1 Toe Caps are the gold standard, but with so limited user experience info (other than "get the big battery pack") I just went with what was available at the time and they looked solid...I could not imagine the Lenz being much different other than they way they route the wires. Plus I had heard warranty through Hotronics was good and Lenz product not so much. Again, limited info.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I have a pair of large lenz 5.0 with batteries and an extra pair of socks if anyone is looking for some. I went back to hotronics. The wires on the top of my instep in my plugs were too much.

I'd take those if they haven't been spoken for. PM sent.

^^4 out of 6 reviewers gave Costco's socks 1 star, which usually means it's worth zero stars.

I’ve had the black and green hotronics for 2 seasons and love them
    When I got new boots last year I couldn’t use them till the liners packed out a little. They’re thin but still thicker than most of my socks and I size down on boots.

Lenz FTW

I luv me sum warm feet.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Sweetbippy just bought a pair, will report back after skiing. They look well made.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Great info. Will check out the Lenz and Hotronic toe cap products. And yes I ignored the search, 50 internet lashings for me.

Mrs. MNIAW loves the Lenz. She's had 'em for 3 years, no issues.

I’m responding to messages. FWIW I meant that I switched back to hotronic battery packs and heating elements instead of socks. I actually got more nervous about losing the lenz battery packs then losing the hotronic ones that are on my power straps. Those locking clips work really well. I used them all through ski academy in my younger years and took plenty of crashes with them and never lost a pack. I didn’t like folding the sock down over the pack as much on the Lenz as it made the top around my calf tight.

I do move my liners from shell to shell so it’s not a big deal for me. If I had multiple boots and didn’t share liners I would stay with the socks. But you can set the hotronics up pretty cheap in multiple liners and use the same batteries. Plus hotronic batteries are constantly on sale for a good deal and I got a killer deal on some used ones out of gear swap just to throw in my truck as back ups.

my other half loves her socks and won’t ski with out them. So that’s a win. They definitely are a must to keep the other half happy on the hill all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski2 View Post
    I’ve had the black and green hotronics for 2 seasons and love them
    When I got new boots last year I couldn’t use them till the liners packed out a little. They’re thin but still thicker than most of my socks and I size down on boots.
    I've now got a few days on mine, with the big battery, and they are fantastic. On setting 3 (out of 4 in half steps) they are too warm which may not be too warm when skiing in -18C. But the big battery should last bell to bell on that setting; possibly 4. It will easily do so at setting 2.5 and down.

Like @Brewski2 said, the added thickness means one's liner and/or buckle tension will need to be adapted. They are bloody expensive so good to hear you've been on them for 2 seasons now as I'd like to think that for the price they should serve a few more. Those of you that don't suffer from cold toes are lucky. These are just sublime for those of us who do. Easy to use + simple phone app.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

I got a pair to take a look. I won’t be skiing on them.
    - thicker than most here will want to fit in their boots
    - heating element is under the foot and you can feel it. Would likely be painful to ski on.

Giving to my father as an Xmas gift.

The Lenz socks are expensive but the best offering right now IMO. The new 6.0 is noticeably thinner then the 5.0s, and fits better in a snug boot fit

I bought a pair for 4th season Elk hunting this year. They work great in hunting boots but are way to thick for ski boots.

Can anyone confirm if the Hottronic surround actually has a toe-cap? The website is surprisingly vague, which is making me think no?

I picked some Hotronic Surround Thins up, not 100% sure I’ll keep them. They have heating elements both on the bottom and top of the toes, but it’s not a true toe cap—it doesn’t wrap the tip of the toes, and the outside of my little toe is also not covered by a heating element.

I haven’t used them yet, so remains to be seen how effective they’ll be, but I’d guess they’d provide more heating than heated footbeds.

They are thicker than ultrathin ski socks and I can notice the heating elements, but I suspect I’d get used to them. I do have less toe wiggle room with the socks on, so one worry is that the extra pressure could counteract the heating a bit. Battery packs do not seem to be annoying to wear.

This is for a ~1 finger (probably slightly less) shell fit (size 9.5-10 US foot in a 25.5 Cochise boot).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bought my wife some Sodas last year. They came broken. Battery leads were snapped. Returned and let her feet get cold. Meh.

Might get her some new ones this year. Will try the hottronics. She has 4 different ski boots so not buying heater elements for all of em.

Gonna grab some Lenz for the wife for Christmas I guess. If they work for her I'll snag some too.

I don’t think there is a good heated sock option for folks in a “1 finger” fit. They are all noticeably thicker than your standard smartwool ultra thin sock.

I’d go towards installed heaters in the insoles or a heated liner option

Tried the socks on for about 20 minutes in my boots and have decided they're too thick to work for me--they're great in my 26.5 touring boots, but cut off circulation in the 25.5 <1 finger fit boots.

Happy to pass along a good deal if anyone in this thread wants them before posting in Gear Swap. They've been tried on for about 30 minutes total but no other wear. Everything else is brand new.

--Hotronic XLP PFI 30 Surround Thin Heat Socks - Size Medium
    --Hotronic XLP 2P and 1P USB Load Plug
    --2x Hotronic XLP 2P BT Battery Pack (the big batteries)
    **I did not buy the Hotronic-branded wall charger and you don't need it either, any old USB-A wall charger will do.

Cheapest I can find the set online is ~$400 and that comes with the thick "Comfort" sock, so let's say $280+ship (small package, should be cheap) or local pickup in Oakland or SLC (will be there starting next week, pre-Christmas)

I'll take them here in SLC Skeeze. Wife will be happy with them snowboarding.