Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I just grabbed a pair because they were $40 off at Costco so if the suck they will go back.

Definitely thicker than my normal darn tough ski socks. Element is under your toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the Hottronic surround actually has a toe-cap? The website is surprisingly vague, which is making me think no?
    The is a "toe cap" of a synthetic material around the toes. the heating elements, top and bottom, are on top of that wrapping around the big toe, not over the side of the little toe. I noticed no difference in the thickness between the thin and regular socks. The difference in the socks is material and amount of compression. I am a 9.5 c/d. The size chart would say large however i thought the medium was a much better tighter fit eliminating any bunching from where the wires run.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    I just grabbed a pair because they were $40 off at Costco so if the suck they will go back.

Definitely thicker than my normal darn tough ski socks. Element is under your toes.
    Update: too thick. Heating element is super thick also. Returning them

Heated Socks - Reccos

Just got some Sidas LV (~$240 so more than the thicker utilitarian ones being discussed but notably less than Lenz).
    They seem to be about the same thickness as a smart wool or point6 ultralight.
    I haven’t tried them myself but kid1 has a few days with them - initially said could feel the heating event underfoot but in the boot does not notice it. Batteries way more convenient than booster strap mounted batteries for heated footbed - higher up, on the side, do not interfere with buckles, do not get whacked by chairlift seats. Jury still out on whether they’re as effective as heated footbeds - element only underfoot, not wrapping on top and smaller in size.
    Early days but so far seems like a good option for moderately tight boots where booster mounted batteries are problematic.

I just got them today and am gonna try them with my girlfriend. I will come back with my thoughts.
    Edit: Ok, I am not really satisfied. The socks came super quick, but they don't work, I think the package was ruined while shipping, and maybe it wasn't vacuumed enough and had leaks. A part of the wires is wet, so I guess this is the issue. I told them to control that thing and send their package to a test like a package leak testing. They told me they will give the whole refund so I'm not sad or stressed.) I hope next time it would work.
    Last edited by trueevan; 01-26-2023 at 10:17 AM.

I'm quite happy with the Lenz 6.0 with RBC1800 batteries.
    Hit up PTEX1 ( Tim ) and he will surely give you the best price. The 6.0 are definitely thicker than my other 2 pair of "ultra-light socks", but not a deal breaker for me. I shoulda' jumped on heated socks years ago. Not sure if the newer 6.1 compression sock is any thinner.

Also got my wife Therm-IC heated mittens from PTEX1 but wifey is not that keen on them. Even though they also have Gore-Tex and Primaloft, she wishes they were warmer -> surely not the mittens' fault, as how much more tech can a mitten have. So Hot-Hands packets for her continue to be in play.

Wasn’t there a startup Euro company several years ago making a heated footbed with an integral lithium battery and a charge port?

How warm are heated socks? Feet-in-front-of-fire warm?

I'm currently in hospital with stage 3 frostbite on my toes. Due to excellent treatment, it seems like my feet may be healed in 4-6 weeks, but they will be extraordinarily susceptible to the cold, and so I am being told return to skiing may take longer. Wondering if I can get back on skis earlier with heated socks, or a combination of these, heated insoles and boot glove.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSkier View Post

I'm currently in hospital with stage 3 frostbite on my toes. Due to excellent treatment, it seems like my feet may be healed in 4-6 weeks, but they will be extraordinarily susceptible to the cold, and so I am being told return to skiing may take longer. Wondering if I can get back on skis earlier with heated socks, or a combination of these, heated insoles and boot glove.

ya. They get warm. Like warm enough the socks won’t let them stay on that warm and they turn down after a certain amount of time. It’s the same with hotronic insoles. The batteries only let you stay on max for a certain amount of time because it’s too hot. The batteries on both won’t last very long on high. It would work but I would worry about damaging my feet further trying to fuck around. Unfortunately I’d probably let it heel.

you know what sucks? Walking and skiing with no toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the Hottronic surround actually has a toe-cap? The website is surprisingly vague, which is making me think no?
    Website is indeed pretty weak. Neither the Hotronic nor the Lenz have heating elements that envelope the toes; rather they wrap around the toes a short distance from the toe ends. They are pretty similar just have different routing for the wiring to get to the toes.

I think it depends on how cold your toes get (it's relative based on individual). I would never call them truly warm unless it's not frigid out already. If I am skiing say -10C and colder then I am on the highest setting (which is "3" as "4" is only a 3 min timed setting so will not remain on) and I would say they take the edge off. My toes are not cold but they are not warm either. Without them I'd be dying. I have zero room in my boots anywhere and true chopstick shellfit using ZipFits FWIW (I try to strike a balance between performance and circulation but a firm fit does seem to compromise the latter at least in my case). Sounds like you'll need more than just the socks?
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

I thot the hotronics would feel sweating-foot warmer but I would say when i wear them its more a matter of my feet not being cold
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have found that with either hotronic insoles or lenz socks its teally about using just enough to keep me feets from getting cold.

Its a formula of the weather conditions and my activity level to make it happen.

With any battery op device i am trying to get the longest burn from it rather than melting my toes. Particularly on a BC mission where its not over till its over.
    watch out for snakes

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like heated socks alone will not be sufficient. Has anyone tried the heated pads that you can stick to your toes? Alternatively, multiple battery packs would allow me to run on max heat all day.

I need to get a clear definition from the doctors of what they mean by 'cold' in Celsius. I have been told I cannot re-expose my feet to the 'cold' for up to one year, but I am unclear if this is just frostbite-inducing temperatures i.e. sub -10 C. I am keen to keep skiing this year as I will not have many opportunities to ski in the years to come.

Interestingly I never really got cold feet before, but my foot ended up looking like this after forty mins in -30 C temperatures.
    Last edited by JackSkier; 01-27-2023 at 05:12 AM.

Nerve damage take a long time to heal if at all.

The sooner you realize that the better off you will be.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Nerve damage take a long time to heal if at all.

The sooner you realize that the better off you will be.
    I'm well aware of this. However the crucial issue preventing skiing is that the foot cannot be exposed to very cold temperatures. I'm enquiring whether the risk of this can be significantly mitigated. As a member of a skiing forum, I'm sure you can sympathize with a skier who wants to keep on skiing.

I'm well aware of this. However the crucial issue preventing skiing is that the foot cannot be exposed to very cold temperatures. I'm enquiring whether the risk of this can be significantly mitigated. As a member of a skiing forum, I'm sure you can sympathize with a skier who wants to keep on skiing.

I completely sympathize with you, but the honest truth is, you will most likely do more damage then good trying to ski more this winter in cold temps. After I got frost bite, I can’t handle below 20 degrees without socks or hotronics and it’s just enough to keep my feet warm. I couldn’t feel my toes for 6-8 months. I got lucky and feeling came back most of the way but they are still super tender. I never used to use heat unless it was below 0F. Used to also never get cold feet.

I'm with Joey on this. I had some pretty bad frostbite on a split boarding cat tour. It took me a solid 6 months to get rid of the sensitivity and since then it's been basically touch and go as to how bad it's going to be.

My right big toe is my "go inside" indicator as it was first to go. I can't ski without heated socks, foot beds or toe warmers. Unfortunately I don't have the first two anymore but will get them for next season. Undecided which.

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like heated socks alone will not be sufficient. Has anyone tried the heated pads that you can stick to your toes? Alternatively, multiple battery packs would allow me to run on max heat all day.

I need to get a clear definition from the doctors of what they mean by 'cold' in Celsius. I have been told I cannot re-expose my feet to the 'cold' for up to one year, but I am unclear if this is just frostbite-inducing temperatures i.e. sub -10 C. I am keen to keep skiing this year as I will not have many opportunities to ski in the years to come.

Interestingly I never really got cold feet before, but my foot ended up looking like this after forty mins in -30 C temperatures.
    https://grabberwarmers.com/products/toe-warmers/

Yeah I buy the stick-on heater packs ^^ by the display box so I can always have them around for feet and hands,

IMO forget the hand warmers

for the feet I stick them to the tops of the sock over the toes, with a toe warmer and boot glove I have been OK at -20C to -25 riding lifts

IME the toe warmers are > the hand warmers in gloves or mitts because they will stick in the glove or mitt and not fall out. SO I peel off the sticky put them on the back of my hand holding with fingers and shove them in the glove as far as they will go and they stick to the back of hand area in the glove

Toe warmers will stay warm enough all day in boots or gloves, so will Hotronic socks but socks are $$$ while you can try the toe warmers for a few $ I don' think you will have room in a boot for both

I get cold feet riding lifts at -15 but I don't use anything for touring & I have always been ok touring, must be cuz I got circulation in a touring boot ?

^^ I find the toe warmers work for first about hour then nothing. Pull them out and they are cold but will start warming again. In other words there clearly is no new air getting to them to keep the chemical reaction going when in the toes of my boots. And i have lots of space between toes and shell since ZipFit toes are minimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

I find the grabbers ^^ are still giving heat at the end of the day when i take off the boots, same with toe warmers in the glove

edit: the only brand I ever see is grabber, they advertise 8hrs of heat and that jives with my experiance

the ski club always has lots of the toe warmers in the skimmer, I supose they use em in boots./ gloves but the radio's they use for the starting gear quit working in the cold so they stick a few to the radios, also toe warmers on the i-phones
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-27-2023 at 01:39 PM.

^ Costco sells the grabbers for like $35 for 100. I've been using them all season until I figure out what's best long term (sock/beds). They stay warm for me until the end of the day, and the wife loves them also.

Anyone have recommendations for battery pack replacements for Lenz socks? Trying to avoid the $265 Lenz branded ones if I can…

Quote Originally Posted by caclimber View Post
    Anyone have recommendations for battery pack replacements for Lenz socks? Trying to avoid the $265 Lenz branded ones if I can…
    car battery and jumper cables.