Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Binding Layout Tools

What are the minimum & maximum boot sole lengths you all are mounting on skis?

While looking to do another Pivot mount I decided to mess around with a marking tool idea vs using a binding template again. Since they are 2 hour prints (each side), I might as well make them work for the minimum & maximum boot sizes vs unnecessary sizes:

Last edited by Alpinord; 02-17-2023 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Title from 'Minimum & Maximum Boot Sole Lengths' to reflect how this thread evolved.)
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

That's pretty rad.

My minimum is 305 (touring) and maximum is 320 (race boots). I'm sure there are lots of folks with smaller and bigger feet but there's your first data point.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    That's pretty rad.

My minimum is 305 (touring) and maximum is 320 (race boots). I'm sure there are lots of folks with smaller and bigger feet but there's your first data point.
    Wow, I'd think it should be the other way around.

Minimum BSL for stock boots is 262 (a couple of models, though those people are likely not skiing on Pivots). Hawx Magna 31.5 is 369, but I believe the Hawx Prime 120 and Salomon S/Pro 120 come in 32.5 (don't know the BSL's).

^^^^
    That definitely covers them all. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Addlt boots start at 260 mm and go to 380 mm. The new Strive 14 Demo starts at 253 mm.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    ^^^^
    That definitely covers them all. Thanks

The 2023 Salmon tech manual shows an S/Pro HV 33.5 mondo with a BSL of 375mm!

That's a pretty slick idea!

Any idea if one should expect a finite number of uses before it may start to get worn a little and become imprecise?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Minimum & Maximum Boot Sole Lengths

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    That's a pretty slick idea!

Any idea if one should expect a finite number of uses before it may start to get worn a little and become imprecise?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Good question. With PETG plastic filaments it’s certainly possible to wear out if you beat the day lights out of the awl and go too deep vs using your palm or tapping a rubber mallet to provide a small mark.

The intent is to simply, quickly and accurately mark hole locations. Then either separately use a punch before drilling if you prefer. By using for marking only, it could last indefinitely for infrequent mounts. No messing with the template. A couple pieces of tape, find centerline, clamp this layout tool to the ski at centerline line and BSC for desired BSL. Mark & drill, etc.

Installing sleeves or bushings could increase durability. So could possibly using more durable filaments like ABS, nylon or nylon X (carbon & nylon), among others…..

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

That chart doesn't go beyond 31.5 because someone decided the columns got too small if they included 32.5 and 33.5 . . .

Thanks for the replies. I increased the BSL range and shortened the 'awl bushings' for the Pivot Layout Tool. If other binding flavors are desired, let me know.

Last edited by Alpinord; 11-17-2022 at 11:35 AM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Are you going to sell these? I'd buy a couple based on what I mount most often:
    Tyrolia Attack
    Marker Royal Family
    Fritschi Vipec/Tecton (maybe...)

Are you going to sell these? I'd buy a couple based on what I mount most often:
    Tyrolia Attack
    Marker Royal Family
    Fritschi Vipec/Tecton (maybe...)
    I added the Look Pivot Binding Layout tool to the site today to see how it goes and will add more as I can or there is real interest. From the notes:

"Over time we intend to add additional binding layout tools. If there is one you would like us to provide, order this tool, put a note in the order and follow up email with a request and link to confirmed template for the binding you wish to mount. Allow at least one to two weeks for us to produce the requested binding layout tool."

It's been a while since I've been in template drawing mode other than Pivots & G3 Ions. I'll need to review what templates I have and get my head back into Knut's binding Template library, but need help getting verified templates to use for these tools.

I have a Baron/Duke one from 2013 that I'm not sure is still valid on current generation. Yay or nay?
    Last edited by Alpinord; 11-17-2022 at 11:36 AM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

How much $$?

I'm interested in Tyrolia Attack and Fritschi Tecton

Quote Originally Posted by chicken feathers View Post
    How much $$?

I'm interested in Tyrolia Attack and Fritschi Tecton
    (See post above.)
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Minimum & Maximum Boot Sole Lengths

To go with this & other tools & general use, here is our revised Boot Sole Center Gauge with four per printing.

• Print to scale
    • Cut out and splice
    • Tape to Ski Center Line with Boot Sole Center on Mount Line

Last edited by Alpinord; 11-12-2022 at 05:42 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

$24 seems like a steel.

A little wasted so I'll order in the AM. Definitely going to order Tyrolia Attack. A firm maybe on the Marker Royal Family. Finding a valid Vipec/Tecton template is a little harder but I think I have some printed.

Yeah, I need the price police to help determine the real value. Call it ‘introductory price’ at the moment.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

I messaged you but I would snap up that tool for STH2. Thanks

OK, so here's what I found in searching for templates:

* The Wild Snow and Knut's templates for the Vipec/Tecton are wrong. Thom (Galibier_numero_un) has a corrected template and I verified that the WildSnow and Knut's templates are incorrect (thankfully on a piece of wood and not a brand new pair of Ripsticks) and Thom's is correct. The problem is, Thom uses pinline and heel to determine placement of the template rather than BSL so it may not be an applicable document for this tool. Fortunately, Thom's template shows the corrections from Knut's templates so maybe you can use the 2 of them to create an updated template based on BSL?
    Thom's template: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bZt...w?usp=drivesdk
    Knut's template: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...yYY6Gg2a3Dd245

* Tyrolia seems to be the only binding manufacturer that designs bindings around a common mount pattern. The same pattern works for the Attacks and also their other bindings except their 2 frame tour bindings. Here's a link to Jondrum's: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ZJ...w?usp=drivesdk
    Unfortunately, Jondrum's templates don't have the actual measurements. I've mounted at least 8 pairs of Attacks using this template and it is dead on.
    I've never used Knut's templates but it appears to be identical to Jondrum's. Here is Knut's template: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...yYY6Gg2a3Dd245

* I mis-typed (maybe) on the Markers...I don't want/need the Baron/Duke/Tour template(s); I want the Squire/Griffon/Jester template. Here's a link to Knut's: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13U9...w?usp=drivesdk
    I've always used Jondrum's templates and have mounted at least 10 pairs of Markers using it but, like the Tyrolia above, Knut's appears to be identical.

I'll email all of this as well...

I just ordered one of the tools and asked for it to be made for the Tyrolia alpine bindings. I also used the contact form to verify my order and send the link to Knut's template.
    Last edited by MyNameIsAugustWest; 11-13-2022 at 07:50 AM.

OK, so here's what I found in searching for templates:

* The Wild Snow and Knut's templates for the Vipec/Tecton are wrong. Thom (Galibier_numero_un) has a corrected template and I verified that the WildSnow and Knut's templates are incorrect (thankfully on a piece of wood and not a brand new pair of Ripsticks) and Thom's is correct. The problem is, Thom uses pinline and heel to determine placement of the template rather than BSL so it may not be an applicable document for this tool. Fortunately, Thom's template shows the corrections from Knut's templates so maybe you can use the 2 of them to create an updated template based on BSL?
    Thom's template: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bZt...w?usp=drivesdk
    Knut's template: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...yYY6Gg2a3Dd245

* Tyrolia seems to be the only binding manufacturer that designs bindings around a common mount pattern. The same pattern works for the Attacks and also their other bindings except their 2 frame tour bindings. Here's a link to Jondrum's: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ZJ...w?usp=drivesdk
    Unfortunately, Jondrum's templates don't have the actual measurements. I've mounted at least 8 pairs of Attacks using this template and it is dead on.
    I've never used Knut's templates but it appears to be identical to Jondrum's. Here is Knut's template: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...yYY6Gg2a3Dd245

* I mis-typed (maybe) on the Markers...I don't want/need the Baron/Duke/Tour template(s); I want the Squire/Griffon/Jester template. Here's a link to Knut's: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13U9...w?usp=drivesdk
    I've always used Jondrum's templates and have mounted at least 10 pairs of Markers using it but, like the Tyrolia above, Knut's appears to be identical.

I'll email all of this as well...

I just ordered one of the tools and asked for it to be made for the Tyrolia alpine bindings. I also used the contact form to verify my order and send the link to Knut's template.
    See above regarding email. Do you just need the Tyrolia for now, correct? I’ll look into the other templates as I can. Thanks for the links and info. That info will save messing around trying to sort through them all.

EDIT: As a quick comparison, it looks like there is a 5mm discrepancy between the two templates. How much adjustment is there with the Tyrolias? My preference is to use Knut's templates as a more recent basis for the Layout Tool unless there is other info to do something else (like Thom's).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyrolia_Templates.jpg 
Views:	1154 
Size:	416.1 KB 
ID:	433736
    Last edited by Alpinord; 11-13-2022 at 10:06 AM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Did you place a Look Pivot order and want the STH2?

Apparently, the on-site email form is not delivering emails if you messaged using the Contact Us form and I need to resolve this. Please send again to sales@slidewright.com.

i placed a order this am for the pivots. Stoked. That makes things easier and cheaper.

^^^^^
    Thanks for the order. I'm trying to keep track of who needs what, while questioning my sanity going down this rabbit hole.

(I probably need to bump the price too. Any suggestions going forward?)

Looks like I fixed the Contact Us form (for now anyway). Adding your TGR handles will help keep these straight. Thanks.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

See above regarding email. Do you just need the Tyrolia for now, correct? I’ll look into the other templates as I can. Thanks for the links and info. That info will save messing around trying to sort through them all.

EDIT: As a quick comparison, it looks like there is a 5mm discrepancy between the two templates. How much adjustment is there with the Tyrolias? My preference is to use Knut's templates as a more recent basis for the Layout Tool unless there is other info to do something else (like Thom's).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyrolia_Templates.jpg 
Views:	1154 
Size:	416.1 KB 
ID:	433736
    Attacks have at least 20mm fore/aft so not sure a 5mm discrepancy is that big of a deal. Not 100% sure that Jondrum's template put the heel dead center and BSLs are a crapshoot as far as accuracy goes so, no, not a big deal.

For now, I just want the Tyrolia. I included all of the other info because others may want Marker or Vipec/Tecton.

Thanks so much for doing this and I think $40 is reasonable and would still sell like hotcakes, at least to the TGR crowd. rfconroy printed me a centering jig and IIRC, that's what he charged me.

I don’t think 40-50 is too much to ask at all. We all pay dearly for jigs.

I have a thought on the centering tool that could make it even more handy..

is there a way to build it so the numbers are laying horizontally across the topsheet on the ski as opposed to vertical across the top sheet, then make another sliding part that could have a steel collar epoxied into a hole that corresponds with the centering ruler as well. So the tool would be able to find center and then slide the collar to what ever mm spread your holes are. So drilling two holes 38mm would be able to be found by being 19mm off center line with the collar in the slide. Collar would be the same size as the collars on a jig.