Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Knut View Post
    It's worth mentioning that several others have reported otherwise, which is why I have not changed the template. I myself and people that I personally know have mounted Vipecs with my template. I cannot verify where the discrepancy originates from. As always, when mounting any binding with templates from the internet: please proceed with caution - or with confidence and live with the consequences
    So....

I just measured the hole spacing using a digital micrometer but had to eyeball the center of the holes. Did 3 different measurements.

For the toes, the front to back spacing came out to 65.7, 65.8, 65.7. Thom's template says 65.75, Knut's says 66.

For the heels, the front to back spacing was 60 on all 3 measurements. Thom's template says 60.5, Knut's says 60.

My conclusion: we still don't have 1 template that is correct. I will use Thom's toe template and Knut's heel template for a future install. Not ready for Alpinord's "jig".

Quote Originally Posted by Knut View Post
    It's worth mentioning that several others have reported otherwise, which is why I have not changed the template. I myself and people that I personally know have mounted Vipecs with my template. I cannot verify where the discrepancy originates from. As always, when mounting any binding with templates from the internet: please proceed with caution - or with confidence and live with the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Not sure either...I do know that the holes were off by a significant enough margin that the bindings would not have gone on a ski (I tested on a piece of wood). Have you seen Thom's template? That one worked perfectly for me.
    Here's a quick and dirty comparison between the two templates. They look like the same hole patterns. The BSL is a little different but sounds fine within the adjustment range of the binding, correct?

For the Warden 11 Demo, I printed the toe section without the BSLs because the info I have so far is inconclusive.

This could be an approach on the Vipecs (and others) too. The hole pattern matches, but the BSL may be variable and the user could lay out the toe, drill and mount on a test piece. Put the boot down, mark BSC and then lay on the heel, mark front or back holes. Then take the layout holes and transfer the BSC to the tool and mark with a Sharpie or grease pencil.

Check out DIY Binding Templates for more info to make your own or simply figure out hole layouts relative to BSCs.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 11-19-2022 at 02:31 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

So....

I just measured the hole spacing using a digital micrometer but had to eyeball the center of the holes. Did 3 different measurements.

For the toes, the front to back spacing came out to 65.7, 65.8, 65.7. Thom's template says 65.75, Knut's says 66.

For the heels, the front to back spacing was 60 on all 3 measurements. Thom's template says 60.5, Knut's says 60.

My conclusion: we still don't have 1 template that is correct. I will use Thom's toe template and Knut's heel template for a future install. Not ready for Alpinord's "jig".
    I was going to ask for someone to measure a binding. Thanks. Do you really think a quarter to a half of a millimeter is worth sweating? A wobble with a drill bit could be that much, plus inserts in their holes can be 'moved/realigned' with the bindings attached. Alpine screws can move even more. On top of that, you'd think the engineers would have designed their binding mounts to the nearest full or half mm, not to 1/10th mm, eh?

So....

Pro Tip: measure to the same side of the actual binding holes instead of trying to guess the center.

IE:

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Gotcha. Good tip on measuring to the same sides of holes.

All I know is that the toes would not work with the 0.25mm difference in the toes, front to back. I use a drill press and center punch so very little chance of the bit wandering, especially in wood.

Can you measure the diagonals?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

77.6mm on the toes
    65.8mm on the heel tracks

Thanks. Something's not adding up. Are the 44mm & 40mm dimensions correct? Is there something about the Vipec holes (smaller diameter?) that do not allow for movement the same as other bindings?

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    I almost threw in the towel when I read that! My head is spinning and I'm losing my mind so bad I ordered another 3d Printer.

So...this is what I have teed up for the STH2/Warden group & I guess Armada line up. I'll need help correlating the Armadas to these.

So far, I have a template for the Warden 11 Demo, but need some help there, too. Shorty J? It looks like the heel layout matches the Warden 11, but not the toes. I'm uncertain on the BSL basis for this template.

Sorry for the delay but I do have a PDF file of the warden 11 demo. I don't remember for sure where I got it but I'm pretty sure I did use it to mount a set of bindings to skis I don't have anymore and it worked.

Where should I send you the file?
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Or maybe a couple of screen captures are OK?

Please note that I don't have a set of bindings on hand to verify these numbers, but like I said, I'm pretty sure I've used it before without issues.

Name:  warden 11 demo toe.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  warden 11 demo heel.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  32.9 KB

Thanks. That's the same template from gregorys in the post above. I made the following from it using the Warden 11 heel with the same hole layout. The main floater is what was the basis for the BSL location? Are the heels located the same as the Warden 11s?

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

^^^ ah... sorry... I must have missed that it's already been posted.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk

Thanks. That's the same template from gregorys in the post above. I made the following from it using the Warden 11 heel with the same hole layout. The main floater is what was the basis for the BSL location? Are the heels located the same as the Warden 11s?

Hey Terry, I have a few pairs of warden 13, 11, and 13 demos in a box unmounted right now if you need me to check hole spacing for you I don't have a Warden 11 Demo on hand though, but there is a verified paper template floating around here on TT, I've downloaded it before so let me see if I can find it.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Hey Terry, I have a few pairs of warden 13, 11, and 13 demos in a box unmounted right now if you need me to check hole spacing for you I don't have a Warden 11 Demo on hand though, but there is a verified paper template floating around here on TT, I've downloaded it before so let me see if I can find it.

Happy Thanksgiving all!
    Kewl. 'It might help & couldn't hurt'!. I added diagonals and would start there for measuring. Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving!

Do you or anyone also have Tyrolia Attacks and can check those dimensions?

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Lost my caliper so couldn't measure these for you, will do so later tonight. I have a Warden 11, 13 and 13 Demo unmounted at the moment that I'll check. My AAtack 14 is mounted so cant help there. I saw on the site you now have the W11 Demo, and thoughts on adding the W13 Demo?

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Lost my caliper so couldn't measure these for you, will do so later tonight. I have a Warden 11, 13 and 13 Demo unmounted at the moment that I'll check. My AAtack 14 is mounted so cant help there. I saw on the site you now have the W11 Demo, and thoughts on adding the W13 Demo?
    I could easily if I had something to confirm the Warden 13 demo layout vs the Warden 13.

Did you see the DIY template post and download? Could you trace the holes of the 13 vs 13 demo?

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

I could easily if I had something to confirm the Warden 13 demo layout vs the Warden 13.

Did you see the DIY template post and download? Could you trace the holes of the 13 vs 13 demo?

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Yeah , I have the paper template for the W13 Demo also so I'll compare to both

Minimum & Maximum Boot Sole Lengths

@alpinord
    Something to consider for the demo versions of these tools is a fixed bsl and make the plastic jig one piece? When I looked into mounting warden or marker demos in the past it calls for fixed bsl to mount the plates. So consider making a demo template that is one piece with a fixe bsl vs your two part system on these to allow a user to move for each mounts boot sole length…. Make sense? I would definitely be into one of these for warden demos - either way you make them…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Minimum & Maximum Boot Sole Lengths

Good points on the demos. Due to plater sizes, I cannot physically print a single layout tool that includes both toe & heels. Much like the 8 1/2" x 11" templates that need to be sliced. If I had a definite fixed overall length, I could set up the the two pieces to lock together vs being able to move the binding footprint.

Edit: a nice benefit of separate pieces are for partial mounts or adjustments. On one pair of skis, I needed to move the heels and toes for the other pair.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1670029953.732659.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	436442

Name:	Image1670029969.816150.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	436443

Name:	Image1670030021.416181.jpg 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	436444
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-02-2022 at 07:14 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Good points on the demos. Due to plater sizes, I cannot physically print a single layout tool that includes both toe & heels. Much like the 8 1/2" x 11" templates that need to be sliced. If I had a definite fixed overall length, I could set up the the two pieces to lock together vs being able to move the binding footprint.

Edit: a nice benefit of separate pieces are for partial mounts or adjustments. On one pair of skis, I needed to move the heels and toes for the other pair.

Name:	Image1670029953.732659.jpg 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	436442

Name:	Image1670029969.816150.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	436443

Name:	Image1670030021.416181.jpg 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	436444

Makes perfect sense - again happy to support and would buy the warden demo template in 1 or 2 piece versions…..

So....

Circling back on the Vipec question. I mounted a pair of Vipecs on a pair of Praxis BCs over the weekend. Decided to try Knut's template again. The toe is spot on. I use pin line and heel edge to set BSL anyway so having/not having BSL scale is irrelevant to me. The heel holes are definitely too close together (front to back). Could you make it work? Probably. I just used my punch and moved it back (on the rear holes) 1 point width and the holes were dead center on the heel tracks.

I should have taken pictures but here's a description of how the heel holes looked:
    With the heel tracks sitting on the template and placing the track's front holes dead center on the template hole markings, viewed from the top, there was a small ring of white all the way around the the holes. With it set that way, the template's hole markings for the rear holes were offset to the front of the heel track holes with the template's hole marking touching the heel track hole at the front edge. I would estimate the offset at 0.5mm. That agrees with Thom's findings also.

Hope that makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by PNWcement View Post
    Makes perfect sense - again happy to support and would buy the warden demo template in 1 or 2 piece versions…..
    Warden 11 or 13 demos? If you or anyone has a set, could you provide rear toe to front heel hole dimension? Go ahead an order a Binding Layout Tool-Custom Request to get in the queue if the Warden 13 Demo and we can sort this out. I have the Warden 11 demo done.

Current Binding Layout Tools completed:

-Look/FKS Pivot
    -G3 ION
    -Salomon STH
    -Salomon Warden 11
    -Salomon Warden 11 Demo
    -Salomon Warden 13
    -Tyrolia & Tyrolia Attack
    -Fritschi Vipec & Tecton (almost pending final verification)
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

So....

Circling back on the Vipec question. I mounted a pair of Vipecs on a pair of Praxis BCs over the weekend. Decided to try Knut's template again. The toe is spot on. I use pin line and heel edge to set BSL anyway so having/not having BSL scale is irrelevant to me. The heel holes are definitely too close together (front to back). Could you make it work? Probably. I just used my punch and moved it back (on the rear holes) 1 point width and the holes were dead center on the heel tracks.

I should have taken pictures but here's a description of how the heel holes looked:
    With the heel tracks sitting on the template and placing the track's front holes dead center on the template hole markings, viewed from the top, there was a small ring of white all the way around the the holes. With it set that way, the template's hole markings for the rear holes were offset to the front of the heel track holes with the template's hole marking touching the heel track hole at the front edge. I would estimate the offset at 0.5mm. That agrees with Thom's findings also.

Hope that makes sense...
    Thanks for this. I sent a Vipec/Tecton layout tool to a ski tech with a jig to test compare, too.

What I think you are saying is simply to move the rear holes:

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 6.41.08 AM.png
Views: 691
Size:  211.6 KB

Though, I want to get this layout tool spot on, as a tip, one reason I've always preferred using an awl for laying out for accurate drilling is that if you can 'move the mark'. If you notice you are off a skootch, you can push the awl deeper into the mark at an angle towards the shift then raise it vertically. Same is true for alpine screws into non-metal or carbon topsheets.

It's always good to put your bindings over your marks and visually confirm the alignment of the holes:

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

^ yes...moving the rear holes back 0.5mm may be picking nits but it also puts the holes dead center under the heel tracks.

^ yes...moving the rear holes back 0.5mm may be picking nits but it also puts the holes dead center under the heel tracks.
    Isn’t all of this about nitpicking? Thanks. I’ll make the adjustment and print for prime time.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Just want to chime in since I'm the tech that Terry sent the layout tool. I won't be able to really check this closely till tomorrow but I threw the tool under the jig today and it seemed to confirm the findings of MyNameisAugustWest. The heel holes are slightly off the jig.

I will actually drill some holes in a 2x4 to confirm tomorrow but my quick glance at it confirmed a very slight difference.