Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Classic Flow - Wirthy of a thread

Lots of talk in Cody's thread about this series and suggestions of starting a new thread, so here it is.

((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

I just turn on the Audio and listen to his amazing philosophy.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Lol. Dude is a beast. Kinda a tool. Maybe he'll get on here and be heckled into a spectacular meltdown.

Kind regards.

I was going to start one this morning with just the title 'The THIRTY ONE'.

You might want to add this to the top (or bottom, or just leave it here).
    The precursor and a nod to his sponsors.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Name:  Without Limits.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  127.7 KB

Thanks Frush, glad this happened.

I don't know Wirth but have seen him around and followed his exploits on and off snow over the last few years. No doubt he has massive aerobic ability, skiing confidence and a certain boldness with his approach.

Side observation: It's interesting that his more aggressive approach is being criticized or armchair QB'd by some, while a lot of alpinists and ski mountaineers with this same approach in the Alps - guys who are pushing the edge and putting themselves out there - are more celebrated and venerated.

I'd ski with him.
    .))
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    I'd ski with him.
    Would you eat the sardines?

I love high quality sardines, btw.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

This guy would eat the sardines.
    https://turns-all-year.com/trip-repo...al-mowich-face
    we were talking about the Sphinx and he actually mentioned maybe contacting Wirth about the Sphinx from the road.
    Wirth is lucky thefrush wouldn't ski with me.
    off your knees Louie

Wow, the hat trick! What a day! That was a really cool link-up. Super impressive stuff.

I appreciate his long-form video format and he makes it easy to skip ahead if you don't want to listen to him ramble on the ups. I haven't watched all of his videos but have enjoyed the ones I've watched and think they are well done. It's a diary format that reminds me of Andreas Frannson's south american ski trip videos he did with Bjarne some 15 years ago.

Strong dude who gets after it, will certainly be fun to follow along on his ski career and I hope he continues to document it with free youtube videos.

Edit to add: https://turns-all-year.com/trip-repo...al-mowich-face

fuck yea! ^^^that was rad!^^^

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    It's a diary format that reminds me of Andreas Frannson's south american ski trip videos he did with Bjarne some 15 years ago.
    I respect Wirth for getting after it and putting himself out there, but Fransson and Bjarne made some of the best ski videos ever. Here's a reminder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv-u8k3P0qk

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Would you eat the sardines?

Absolutely! Fifty classic sardine descents coming to a social media near you.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Hope to catch ya on a summit again sometime so we can change that.
    .))
    .))

This guy would eat the sardines.
    https://turns-all-year.com/trip-repo...al-mowich-face
    we were talking about the Sphinx and he actually mentioned maybe contacting Wirth about the Sphinx from the road.
    It's totally doable from the road. Would take maybe a day to two days to get back there but it's doable. I sent photos and GPS tags to Noah Howell this past year because he was wondering about it. I don't believe it has been done from the road, but there definitely is a way in.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I respect Wirth for getting after it and putting himself out there, but Fransson and Bjarne made some of the best ski videos ever. Here's a reminder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv-u8k3P0qk
    No doubt. I just thought it was a similar format at least the hat trick episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    It's totally doable from the road. Would take maybe a day to two days to get back there but it's doable. I sent photos and GPS tags to Noah Howell this past year because he was wondering about it. I don't believe it has been done from the road, but there definitely is a way in.
    since you are offering up some info. How would it be getting over to it off of the Scott? Sheridan is fairly messy at the bottom and could take some time to negotiate. I have been up the Scott over to the Childs than the Allen to the top of the Schwan. The move would be hit the Sphinx than on to that big thing at the top of the Schwan. Than continue over to Valdez by way of Pontoon and Meteorite. But the realty is the weather is tough and you could sit in Cordova for weeks waiting for a window. Than in the two days it takes to skin in you could arrive to find the line tracked out by the heli. Anyway cool PNH saved it for you. I imagine as soon as you stopped filming they were all over it.
    off your knees Louie

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    the jerky video format in Hat Trick is horrible in my opinion. Amazing feat tho!

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Thanks Frush, glad this happened.

I don't know Wirth but have seen him around and followed his exploits on and off snow over the last few years. No doubt he has massive aerobic ability, skiing confidence and a certain boldness with his approach.

Side observation: It's interesting that his more aggressive approach is being criticized or armchair QB'd by some, while a lot of alpinists and ski mountaineers with this same approach in the Alps - guys who are pushing the edge and putting themselves out there - are more celebrated and venerated.
    Who exactly is criticizing him for what? Some of us just point out that in comparison to codys way of doing things his approach may lead to certain "alpinism related health issues". Just like Ueli Steck, Hilaree Nelson, Anders Franson and other "celebrated alpinists".
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

"Alpinism related health issues" is a great euphemism.

Not related, but videos of Nikolai schirmer are really good.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

His girlfriend’s are better.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Who exactly is criticizing him for what? Some of us just point out that in comparison to codys way of doing things his approach may lead to certain "alpinism related health issues". Just like Ueli Steck, Hilaree Nelson, Anders Franson and other "celebrated alpinists".
    Just pointing out that some shade was thrown toward Wirth in The Fifty thread for being different/daring/dangerous - whatever the contrast that can be painted to Cody and Bjarne's current approach to things on their project.

I'm not crying foul and I don't disagree with the reality that pushing the edge can have consequences. Just funny when people watch La Liste, Born in Cham, etc etc and bro out on how rad it is and how rad that athlete is, but when someone pushes the edge a bit closer to home, many of us (me included) armchair QB and cast that athlete as being x, y or z from our social media soap box.

since you are offering up some info. How would it be getting over to it off of the Scott? Sheridan is fairly messy at the bottom and could take some time to negotiate. I have been up the Scott over to the Childs than the Allen to the top of the Schwan. The move would be hit the Sphinx than on to that big thing at the top of the Schwan. Than continue over to Valdez by way of Pontoon and Meteorite. But the realty is the weather is tough and you could sit in Cordova for weeks waiting for a window. Than in the two days it takes to skin in you could arrive to find the line tracked out by the heli. Anyway cool PNH saved it for you. I imagine as soon as you stopped filming they were all over it.
    Getting to it from the Scott is doable, but not easy. There is a complex set of cirques and ridge lines you'd have to pass over to get into the basin of the Sphinx. Funny enough, I think getting to the Scott after you ski the Sphinx is more simple. There is another really good spine line directly across from the Sphinx that drops straight down into the Scott. Otherwise, if you're coming from the Childs, you'd want to come in on the planar north side / backside of the Sphinx and ski it top down. The easiest entrance is from the Sheridan straight into the Sphinx cirque. You probably have more familiarity with it, but from the air, going up the Sheridan from the airport area straight into the Sphinx was the most straightforward route I saw.

That idea to keep moving on to Pontoon and Meteorite would be bananas. Major kudos if ya pull something like that off!

thank's for the reply. I look at the bottom of the Sheridan and could be tough in a low snow year. Pretty easy up the Scott even if you want to take a snowmachine. But yea wondered about the ridge separating them. I already gave the traverse thing a go. Made it to the Schwan. I will leave it to the next generation who is better fit and still willing to suffer through coastal alaska weather.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Name:  TJ Sardines.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  62.3 KB

Pretty good, and < $2/Can.

Fascinating and highly entertaining vids! The floating camera perspective on the ups and downs perfectly conveys the aloneness (and risk) of the endeavors.

Free Solo, Ski Solo - It's a man's right to choose.

Costco has had some really good deals on sardines. Would highly recommend.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk