Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Great info,

Being on the indy pass is an essential, car rental and lodging, even shitty lodging, means I won't pay for tickets and really there is so much just on the indy pass.

If were flying into Spokane I'd be all over the Silver, Mission Ridge, etc ... although when I've flown there the pull of Red and Whitewater were too strong to fight. The drive from boise to silver is actually longer than the MtHood meadow and WP, Interstate vs non -interstate?

Anyway the idea of staying at the central and lower Idaho places, all ones I have never skiied before looks pretty good. And temperatures there look lower after the storm series than the more western options. Although skiing white pass if it was all open with dry snow would be amazing if those temps stayed low there too

But yeah I should stick with one mini region or another. Thanks for the links and info. also, Soldier mountain looks like it could be fun for a quick hit out of boise
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits

getting from Boise to northern Idaho is pretty terrible

hwy 95 is not an interstate and in winter it can be pretty rugged, 93 is often worse

taking 84 east or west generally gets you somewhere else that has a similar number of ski areas faster

though i'll second the mention of anthony lakes as that place is way under the radar and way excellent, though it's only truly appreciated with touring gear

PNW 2022/2023 Season - It's Triple Dip La Niña Time!

Pomerelle, Beaver, powmow on a weekday.

UT actually has been getting snow eh?

Quote Originally Posted by daviski View Post
    Great info,
    The drive from boise to silver is actually longer than the MtHood meadow and WP, Interstate vs non -interstate?
    Latitude wise, Idaho spans the same "height" that WA and OR do combined, with Boise being pretty far south, enough so that it's closer to the Cali/Nevada line than the OR/WA border. Panhandle Idaho within 2-3 hours of Canada.

Ski road trips from Boise your options within a half days drive (albeit not a lot of these on Indy) Sun Valley, Tetons (Targhee Jackson) Bend (Bachelor + Hoodoo) and Utah (Wasatch and north)

^ it’s 30 minutes from Boise to Oregon. It’s a bit more of a drive to Nevada and even more to California. It’s probably a toss up between WA and NV which is closer to Boise. Thanks for the geography lesson

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Day 1 on baker for me. Surprise 6". Untracked everywhere. Stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    You sonofabitch.

Jealous

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    ^ it’s 30 minutes from Boise to Oregon. It’s a bit more of a drive to Nevada and even more to California. It’s probably a toss up between WA and NV which is closer to Boise. Thanks for the geography lesson

He makes a valid point. I’ve lived in Twin Falls, Ashland, OR and Bend, and took a look at the map and agree Boise is further south than I would have thought.

When you factor in gas are you better off driving hours to catch another Indy pass day?

Soldier is all right. Fun fact: they used to sell single ride passes to access some good touring terrain.

Seems like you’re making it difficult trying to drive all over. I don’t know if it’s the modern storm chaser powder fever kinda thing, but personally I’d rather save some coin on my lodging and shop some lift ticket deals and “see” a particular region. Soldier and Sun Valley is a worthy little trip. Certainly the best option out of Boise.

Get sum! Glad youre hitting a classic early season snow cycle up there. Hopefully things keep lining up in yours and all of our favors.

By Wednesday morning (hopefully more accurate than the previous more long range maps)

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Might want to get the fuck up here. Open snow says 15-21" tue night 8 -12" wed, falling at 19 deg.

welcome to the cascades, mr yates. you'll find that it snows a shitload here.

and rains, too.

Post pics ya hosebags

Will do. Thx!

As good or better than that sick Windham pow we skied that time with Sheffy?

Might want to get the fuck up here. Open snow says 15-21" tue night 8 -12" wed, falling at 19 deg.
    When it goes, it goes. 178” fell in Nov of ‘98 to kick off the record year.

Have fun, stay dry!

Anyone have a shark report for Crystal? Wednesday is looking pretty pretty nice. Going to see how Deathwishes do when it's deep.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    He makes a valid point. I’ve lived in Twin Falls, Ashland, OR and Bend, and took a look at the map and agree Boise is further south than I would have thought.

When you factor in gas are you better off driving hours to catch another Indy pass day?

Soldier is all right. Fun fact: they used to sell single ride passes to access some good touring terrain.

Seems like you’re making it difficult trying to drive all over. I don’t know if it’s the modern storm chaser powder fever kinda thing, but personally I’d rather save some coin on my lodging and shop some lift ticket deals and “see” a particular region. Soldier and Sun Valley is a worthy little trip. Certainly the best option out of Boise.

That makes sense and is my general plan now. I will keep it to Indy resorts and may do some driving but only to one subset, trying for more than 2 or 3 mountains as you say is just a fever thing. Fortunately I arrive early and fly out late so those can be logistic or even half ski days.

So Ive set up lodging that puts me between White and Mt.Hood,, also in McCall for Tamarack and Brundage, I'll choose the one that's looking best for snow and open terrain before I leave and cancel the other... now that I'm approaching the realistic forecast range I am very very stoked. Never been to Brundage so if they are wide open I feel sure I'll jump there

Also stoked to be flying into the small Boise airport ,,, that won't sound strange to anyone who has dealt with coming in and out of DIA on many occasions

and til thenENJOY YOUR POWDER

You’re driving by so don’t pass up Anthony Lakes. They open Dec 3. It’s like the front side of White with better trees and 2500’ higher. Base is already 40”.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You’re driving by so don’t pass up Anthony Lakes. They open Dec 3. It’s like the front side of White with better trees and 2500’ higher. Base is already 40”.

Yes, at $50 day ticket I could go off the Indy pass for that one! I have heard about that place for years, now may be the time

The demographic and socio-political buttcrack.
    Quote Originally Posted by vonn View Post
    Anyone have a shark report for Crystal? Wednesday is looking pretty pretty nice. Going to see how Deathwishes do when it's deep.
    They're circling. I didn't stray far from the marked runs but picked up a core shot somewhere on Sunday. Daughter also took out the recycling once and added some coarse structure to her bases, but I guess she's still too light for core shots.

Quote Originally Posted by daviski View Post
    Yes, at $50 day ticket I could go off the Indy pass for that one! I have heard about that place for years, now may be the time
    Have breakfast or dinner in Baker or La Grande, spend $40 and get a $25 ticket on Thursdays

Good morning, thinking of flying out for a quick few days at crystal dec 4-6. If they are at 50 percent open coverage now with this forecast how much more would open up by then if it holds? I have never been so no idea on what is currently actually open. Have vaca and a free flight and ikon and indy so looking for sometrhing easy enough i.e. nonstop from New York and not long drive. Last year hit baker alpental and then a red 49 h20 schweizter from spokane and nobody new i was a new yorker, i blend in well. TKS

I feel like this next dump is going to be so light that you'll punch straight down to them. Mysteries of the deep, should be exciting.

^That’s why you use fat skis. The wind should help with density depending on the location

Quote Originally Posted by Crippity View Post
    Good morning, thinking of flying out for a quick few days at crystal dec 4-6.
    Not to jinx it, but we are set up with good NW flow through at least Dec 6. NW is what you want out here as SW flow brings the rains. Crystal already has Chair 6 open (but just Powder Bowl). I bet they have more of Chair 6 open by Dec 4 and maybe even Southback open by then. I say go for it as there will not be many ski areas in North America skiing better than Crystal for those dates. I'd still ski on rock skis if you can, but I normally do so until 70+ base (they are at 38 mid mountain right now).

Since you have Indy might want to ski White Pass as well, which will get just as much snow as Crystal from these systems. White Pass isn't open, and hasn't announced when they will open, but I would put money on them being open by this weekend. Maybe White Pass on the Sunday as Crystal is a shit show on weekends (and even a shit show on weekday powder days). Don't expect White Pass to be empty on Sunday either though. Or just stick to Crystal for all three days as it has much more terrain and is really good at getting terrain open.