Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    And for those thinking of going over to Alberta, don't bother. They have less snow. Lake Louise was a shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Yeah ... they need snow down low. Stay high and you'll be fine. I think they're getting a little more Tues/Wed next week.

Oh and get the poutine from the coffee shop by the lift. I'm just an 'merican philistine, but it's freakin good.
    Cool thanks. I've been a few times to KH, routine was always hike somewhere, ski above treeline goodness, then rip groomer back down to the gondi and repeat. Taking a friend on the Revy/KH tour - will be there Wed/Thu but really we don't care what we encounter, just happy to get away and ski.

Poutine will be gotten, and consumed in the parking lot for tailgate time.

Any observations on WW snow wise (or lack thereof)? I'd assume they are just as bad as the rest of BC. I did see they are down a chair.

We've got a trip planned late next week and need to make the call soon.
    Last edited by indyjones; 01-27-2023 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Cool thanks. I've been a few times to KH, routine was always hike somewhere, ski above treeline goodness, then rip groomer back down to the gondi and repeat. Taking a friend on the Revy/KH tour - will be there Wed/Thu but really we don't care what we encounter, just happy to get away and ski.

Poutine will be gotten, and consumed in the parking lot for tailgate time.
    Godspeed!

Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post
    Any observations on WW snow wise (or lack thereof)? I'd assume they are just as bad as the rest of BC. I did see they are down a chair.

Yeah we.re in need of a refresh. Base is all right depth though. Maybe snow coming next weekend... ?

Are you all on hill or also touring?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Inbound at Kicking Horse for 2-days last week. In the words of a patroller we rode the gondy with, the lower half of the mountain is fucked. As usual, if you stayed high the snow was consistent although they could use more for sure. Daughter and I bonded. The sun was out. Fun was had.

Attachment 444783

Attachment 444785
    When Kicking Horse first opened with an almost 4k vertical foot gondola and no mid station, I knew then that the resort was being developed by folks with no ski industry experience. More than once KH has been unable to open for the Xmas holidays due to lack of snow at the bottom but with more than adequate snow on the upper mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post

And now the glory chair is down too, for a week. Have to replace the haul rope. We are at 1/3 chairs. I.d be looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    …More than once KH has been unable to open for the Xmas holidays due to lack of snow at the bottom but with more than adequate snow on the upper mountain.
    Lol. Totally false. KH has never been unable to open by Christmas. Never opened less than a week before Christmas. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

It has, like many resorts, opened with totally boney conditions on the lower slopes. But you would of course know that if you weren’t just an internet expert.

41cm in 24 hrs at Kimberley Saturday morning. Storm made a direct hit.

Unfortunately almost no new east and west and north.

Maybe something coming later this week?

Not seeing anything substantial on the forecast for KH. Fernie looking like it's about to get a solid 2ft refresh next week, but it's too far out to be anything but scuttlebutt.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    And now the glory chair is down too, for a week. Have to replace the haul rope. We are at 1/3 chairs. I.d be looking elsewhere.
    Ugh thanks for the info. Bad luck for WW. It was for a fam ski fest so yeah we'll look elsewhere

Oh yeah good call then.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Congrats you deserve it!

Well, it was a successful trip. Beta for those who need it, care, or just want to know:

REVY:
    Day 1, cold for west coast but warm for east coast - also apparently too cold for the upper gondola as it was not running until the sun kissed the haul rope at 9:45, loading by 10:00am. Little bit of new snow, poked around and found good turns all over the place. Anything lower half of the mountain ('bout halfway between Revelation and Stoke bottom) was fucked but again, for a couple of icecoasters we DGAF.

Day 2, warmer but still chilly, more new snow, things skiing a lot better down to Revelation which was nice. I realize it's all about the Stoke and above here, but it was nice to get to crank out some high speed vert. Gondola opened without a hitch.

Hot Tips That You Probably Already Know:
    1) Get to Mack Outpost at 11:15 for a burger. This was honestly the best burger I've ever had in my life. Remember to get a double and ask for pickles. By 11:30 lineup will be out the door.
    2) Hike to top of subpeak is stupid and not worth it, and is 100% for tourons. Just stick to Lemming Line like everyone else.
    3) Greely Bowl is a lot of work for not a lot of vert, but still fun and who doesn't want to get cliffed-out from time to time?
    4) When you find those fresh 10 untracked turns just past a rope line down Vertigo (well, 2 tracks now), it's because there is a large set of cliffs just below.
    5) Revy has some very good skiers and riders, pretty much all of whom are respectful and polite (I notice different attitude @ Whistler but maybe it's just busier).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5565.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	562.1 KB 
ID:	446464

Name:	IMG_5624.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	709.2 KB 
ID:	446465

Name:	IMG_5724.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	681.4 KB 
ID:	446466

Kicking Horse:
    Day 1, about -13 up top, no wind, sunshine, and a reported 3cm of snow which was more like 5-10 in some places depending on how the wind blew. We had fun over in T2, T1, and WhiteWall. R O C K S E V E R Y W H E R E
    Day 2, more of the same but with 10+ cm in areas. Resort reported 1cm which was wildly incorrect. I've been there twice before and don't remember there being trees and shrubs sticking up in the lower mtn. runs. This place needs another metre of snow. Bring your rock skis, my bases are fucked - no core shots though thankfully.

Hot Tips That You Probably Already Know:
    1) Run #111 on your map off of T1 has excellent snow coverage and zero rocks aside from the few right at the entrance. This is the run just to the right of the patrol toboggan tubes near the top of the hike.
    2) Redemption Ridge is rock-central. Good lines and coverage off of it, but holy mother of god it's just pure rocks all along the top.
    3) Run-out from Feuz is all rocks as well. I mitigated this by staying skiers left of the cat track and just sort of swooshing the snow on the side back in to the middle. No rocks on that left edge.
    4) Lines under the gondi are all good coverage and rock-free.

Name:	IMG_5843.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	652.0 KB 
ID:	446467

Name:	IMG_5897.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	561.5 KB 
ID:	446468

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	446469
    (1cm my ass)

Name:	IMG_6194.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	555.1 KB 
ID:	446470

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Day 2, warmer but still chilly, more new snow, things skiing a lot better down to Revelation which was nice. I realize it's all about the Stoke and above here, but it was nice to get to crank out some high speed vert. Gondola opened without a hitch.
    The most underrated thing about Revy are the fall-line groomers when you can rip them top to bottom. I'm not sure if there's anywhere else you can get 5,000 vertical feet of consistent steep skiing. It makes the high pressure days between storms lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    When Kicking Horse first opened with an almost 4k vertical foot gondola and no mid station, I knew then that the resort was being developed by folks with no ski industry experience.
    What's surprising is that aside from the stairway lift which isn't all that useful, there's basically nothing else. Place has been around for a long time now. Of course, given the layout I'm not even sure where a new lift would be useful. Part of the magic of KH is that it's basically you get to the top and now you have to hike for the good stuff, which makes things more of an adventure. I like it.

Gondola midstation would be perfect here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post

Unfortunately almost no new east and west and north.

Maybe something coming later this week?
    It hit us just north…2ft of new at Jumbo Saturday morning and bluebird! Followed up with another ft Wednesday morning….Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0471A5DF-E21F-4988-BB6D-7466989924DB.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	906.3 KB 
ID:	446522

Acceptable

Name:	DSC06933.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	924.1 KB 
ID:	446663

Name:	DSC06992.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	446664

Name:	DSC06824.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	891.3 KB 
ID:	446662

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Acceptable

Name:	DSC06992.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	446664

Name:	DSC06824.jpg 
Size:	891.3 KB 
ID:	446662
    Where is that? Gorgeous obviously. God damn I am stoked for my first trip to Nelson in early March. Let it snow!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    Where is that? Gorgeous obviously. God damn I am stoked for my first trip to Nelson in early March. Let it snow!!!!
    Western Rockies. Icefall Brook area

Now at RMR. 5cms one day. 8 cms another. Temps stayed cool

Name:	20230207_102322.jpeg 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	446805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230207_102310.jpeg 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	446806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1675899645243.jpeg 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	446807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1675899631752.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	446808Name:  20230208_154133.jpeg
Views: 552
Size:  25.7 KB

Ended up going to WW after 3/3 chairs running earlier this week.. Had a great pow day (along with most of Nelson) until ~1 pm when 0/3 chairs were running due to a tree coming down on the power line. What a tough year for WW.

Awesome day at ww! A very deep high quality 18c in 24hr. Missed the power outage by a run thankfully. Almost did another but called it instead.

I got skunked by the power outage. Made a late decision to go over to WW for a change, got a couple runs in, went for a coffee and was in the lodge when the lights went out. Still, those were 2 pretty good runs!

Tell me about the Brown Shorts. I know avy conditions are wrong, but I can't stop drooling over this thing. What's the good word. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lindenle View Post
    Tell me about the Brown Shorts. I know avy conditions are wrong, but I can't stop drooling over this thing. What's the good word. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    The entrances are rocky start zones. Once in it the lines aren't complicated. If you do it have a spotter, a beacon and a note for friends/family just in case things go sideways.

Nobody in them the last few days fwiw

Sz 1s and 1.5s in Kokanee and Montana Bowl yesterday on storm snow.

Did a few laps in Montana Bowl on the old cat ski terrain. 2 cms new but 5 cms fell during dayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	13montanbowlDSC00126.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	447015