Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Can anyone confirm or deny: is self contained RV truck camping allowed at Kootenay pass or Red mountain? Thanks and hope everyone gets more snow
    My recollection from a few days ago is that the signage at Kootenay Pass forbids overnight camping. Might be other lots close by that allow it but not the lot we parked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Tourist question: Against our better judgement Mrs.doc and I are likely rolling through in early March with a 6mo old in tow. RMR/WW/Sun Peaks. Anybody know a babysitter or good childcare options? Willing to pay well cash and bonus points if they're willing to chill in the lot in the Van (Kidding...sorta)
    There is an on hill day care. I forget minimum age. We used it and we happy. If you come to the rockies side, send me a pm

Heads up for WW: the Silverking chair is broken, down for a month (at least). It accesses the only green terrain we have, and some side country.

Good news is day tix are 30% off and the hike up to touring isn't that big.

Bad news is the other chairs likely need to be stopped for the little kids that stick to the SK chair as we don't have detachables. And everyone will be at the other 2 chairs. Weekends could be painful.

Husky- Red has childcare, WW does not. WW also doesn't have cell service if that matters.

kevino- People overnight park at the pass as they stay in the cabin there. If you want to actually camp out though, drive to the bottom of the pass on either side. There's side roads and parking spots, nothing official though.

Sparkle: Thanks for the heads up. I am heading to WW, Red, Revy, maybe Fernie if conditions pick up. How bad have the lines gotten at WW? Good thing is, all of these places have such good vibes/beer/food that its fun regardless.

For anyone who hasn't been, it sucks and stay on the EC.

I have a room booked in Nelson for 4 nights first weekend in March. So excited to check a new region/area out!

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    I have a room booked in Nelson for 4 nights first weekend in March. So excited to check a new region/area out!
    It’s a special place for sure. I’d stay flexible, follow the snow and keep an eye out for cat/heli seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    It’s a special place for sure. I’d stay flexible, follow the snow and keep an eye out for cat/heli seats.
    Our goal was WW and Red for sure. We can cancel the room a week out or so, and will be flexible if conditions are not favorable, but we are driving from Seattle so our range is not much farther than Nelson. Also looking at cats, but obviously very booked out! Putting out feelers for waitlisting, (Red and Valhalla appear to be the single day options within range?) but my guess is that will be not much luck as I bet there is a locals waitlist that takes priority!

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Looks like the taps have been turned on at RMR, so to speak. Still a crappy snow year according to the charts, but are things starting to look up?
    Taps still only barely dripping. Anyone know a good plumber?

Big views in the Selkirks yesterday. This place is unreal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3152.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	443964

Our goal was WW and Red for sure. We can cancel the room a week out or so, and will be flexible if conditions are not favorable, but we are driving from Seattle so our range is not much farther than Nelson. Also looking at cats, but obviously very booked out! Putting out feelers for waitlisting, (Red and Valhalla appear to be the single day options within range?) but my guess is that will be not much luck as I bet there is a locals waitlist that takes priority!
    Might want to check Retallac also. See they have a waitlist not sure what that all entails.
    off your knees Louie

Check out White Grizzly, they have some availability as well as cat-accessed ski touring which is new this year so should have plenty of availability. Better skiing than BRC.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Taps still only barely dripping. Anyone know a good plumber?
    Well the firehose is about to open up this Friday. Heading out to Revy on Sunday with a buddy, just in time for -20 highs in the alpine. Brrrrr!

Well the firehose is about to open up this Friday. Heading out to Revy on Sunday with a buddy, just in time for -20 highs in the alpine. Brrrrr!
    Differing forecasts- doesn’t look to cold at all. U should be fine. Strong pulse Friday night in terms of the overall weak pulse this season…

Thanks for all the advice on the thread. Three of us hired Aaron Enns for a tour in Roger's Pass and he was the best guide I've hired. He wasn't too conservative, yet he managed the current snowpack conditions that we were less familiar with. He even successfully triggered a decent size 1.5 avalanche on the Jan 4th layer with a ski cut to test the recent windloading problem. We got about 4800k ft of vert for the day. Highly recommended.
    https://aaronennsartandguiding.com/

That's great to hear. I need to hire someone this season or at least tag along with some more experienced folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    That's great to hear. I need to hire someone this season or at least tag along with some more experienced folks.
    We spent 5 days at Sorcerer Lodge prior and I got a pretty good sense of the current avalanche problems by sitting in the evening guides meetings. Its scary out there. There is a deep persistent weak slab problem (Nov 17th layer) and currently a Jan 4th surface hoar layer. In one storm cycle we saw the Jan 4th layer slide and step down and trigger the deep slab problem in the alpine. They just need more snow to bury that layer. Many pits and PSTs were done.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...e-bc-1.6723863

Vibes to the guide, and everyone involved. Such a rough year. Still a spooky snow pack, and open crevasses up high.

Good time to play in bounds until things settle a bit

Name:	IMG_3821.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	444345

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...e-bc-1.6723863

Vibes to the guide, and everyone involved. Such a rough year. Still a spooky snow pack, and open crevasses up high.

Good time to play in bounds until things settle a bit

Name:	IMG_3821.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	444345

Brothers on a trip of a lifetime. Bummer for everyone.
    I usually think of CMH as being kind of conservative..

I'll get a proper TR up in a few weeks, but Steep Shots & Pillow Drops at Kootenay was ridiculous.
    The terrain is rowdy, with a mix of big alpine lines, steep well spaced trees and drops everywhere in between.
    We even got a rare bluebird day, with views all the way to the Bugaboos. Wild place!

Name:	IMG_3164.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	489.9 KB 
ID:	444650

Name:	IMG_3278.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	537.0 KB 
ID:	444651

Name:	IMG_3144.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	408.6 KB 
ID:	444652

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Differing forecasts- doesn’t look to cold at all. U should be fine. Strong pulse Friday night in terms of the overall weak pulse this season…
    Man looks like you were bang-on with this call. Right on. Where'd you get your data?

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    Thanks for all the advice on the thread. Three of us hired Aaron Enns for a tour in Roger's Pass and he was the best guide I've hired. He wasn't too conservative, yet he managed the current snowpack conditions that we were less familiar with. He even successfully triggered a decent size 1.5 avalanche on the Jan 4th layer with a ski cut to test the recent windloading problem. We got about 4800k ft of vert for the day. Highly recommended.
    https://aaronennsartandguiding.com/
    Nice! Glad you had a good time out there, he is super fun to ski with. Knows so much.

Inbound at Kicking Horse for 2-days last week. In the words of a patroller we rode the gondy with, the lower half of the mountain is fucked. As usual, if you stayed high the snow was consistent although they could use more for sure. Daughter and I bonded. The sun was out. Fun was had.

Attachment 444783

Attachment 444785

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Inbound at Kicking Horse for 2-days last week. In the words of a patroller we rode the gondy with, the lower half of the mountain is fucked. As usual, if you stayed high the snow was consistent although they could use more for sure. Daughter and I bonded. The sun was out. Fun was had.

Attachment 444783

Attachment 444785
    Fucked how? Just not enough snow? Heading there for 2 days this week, will make the best of it.

Fucked how? Just not enough snow? Heading there for 2 days this week, will make the best of it.
    Yeah ... they need snow down low. Stay high and you'll be fine. I think they're getting a little more Tues/Wed next week.

Oh and get the poutine from the coffee shop by the lift. I'm just an 'merican philistine, but it's freakin good.

KH got an inch overnight, and another 2 forecast for tonight. Then nothing until the 5th. We arrive on the 5th for week long Canadian Ski Patrol clinic, so hoping they fill it in!!