Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    Yesterday at SunPeaks wasn't a deep powder day. But what powder I found was amazing! Crystal Bowl top to bottom was empty, incredible, and untracked. Love this place. Not getting the snow that our next destination is getting. But thoroughly enjoying this special, uncrowded resort.
    The snowflakes that fall at Sun Peaks, more often than not, are the size of grains of sand---takes forever to build up depth, but oh so silky smooth to ski. Typical storms deliver 8-10cm, but get 3 or 4 of those in a week and then before you know it there are some deep spots with a week's worth of untracked.

Also you would be hard pressed to name another mountain in North America that spreads skiers out as well as Sun Peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    The snowflakes that fall at Sun Peaks, more often than not, are the size of grains of sand---takes forever to build up depth, but oh so silky smooth to ski. Typical storms deliver 8-10cm, but get 3 or 4 of those in a week and then before you know it there are some deep spots with a week's worth of untracked.

Also you would be hard pressed to name another mountain in North America that spreads skiers out as well as Sun Peaks.
    Agreed.

Sundance broke down at 9 on Christmas. Got off lift as the diesel engine ground to a halt. (Sensors we're getting tripped as chairs passed by them. Lifty said the freezing rain on Christmas Eve can cause the chair grips to loosen.)

So, we had the silkiest smooth run on Three Bears right after the lift broke. Nobody up there. 1 cm of fresh on top of that yesterday afternoon groomer shift. It was magical. And thanks for the heads up on Morrissey. We skied Tod and Sundance all over each morning. Then, by 11, we plattered up to Morrisey. The ungroomed runs like Midlife Crisis and Spin Cycle/Agitator off the backside were empty and holding lots of freshness. ''Twas twig skiing on the backside. But deep enough to be very enjoyable.

After a solid month of powder skiing, it’s now raining halfway up the mountain. An opportunity to take a well earned rest, and a much needed reset for what was becoming a problematic snowpack.

It’s been quite the Christmas break at Red. 3 consecutive days of high quality, charging down my favourite untracked lines, lift serviced powder skiing, combined with an exceptional amount of chairlift fuckery: trees on power lines, total loss of resort power, random electrical faults, extended avalanche control delays, kids going around the bull wheel, asshole ikon pass holders blocking the lift line, hoards of tourists being tourists. Stoked to be heading to a backcountry cabin for a few days.

I’ll be at Sorcerers Lodge 15th-20th then I’ll have some extra days to explore before flying out of Calgary. Based on the current snowpack and recent storms what do people recommend exploring? I’m also checking updates and reports from Avalanche.ca regularly. I’m mostly interested in touring but I will also be pulling into resort laps with my other friends.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    I’ll be at Sorcerers Lodge 15th-20th then I’ll have some extra days to explore before flying out of Calgary. Based on the current snowpack and recent storms what do people recommend exploring? I’m also checking updates and reports from Avalanche.ca regularly. I’m mostly interested in touring but I will also be pulling into resort laps with my other friends.

Sorcerer Lodge fwiw.

Kicking Horse is starting to get Ok with all terrain open. There are slackcountry options from the resort. Search on snowbrains where I wrote about easier accessible options.

Rogers Pass is always an option of course but I'm sure you already know that.

Some of the more popular Western Rockies options eg Emerald slidepath are also skiable but as you probably also know coverage and snow depth this year is poor and stability still a concern

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Sorcerer Lodge fwiw.

Kicking Horse is starting to get Ok with all terrain open. There are slackcountry options from the resort. Search on snowbrains where I wrote about easier accessible options.

Rogers Pass is always an option of course but I'm sure you already know that.

Some of the more popular Western Rockies options eg Emerald slidepath are also skiable but as you probably also know coverage and snow depth this year is poor and stability still a concern
    Thanks for the beta Lee. I believe I ran into you last December when I hired Dave Sarkany to take me out to some Whistler backcountry. I recognized your name from the TGR forums.

Despite the fact that it's apparently the worst snow year since RMR opened and our snowpack is a "Rockies Simulator", it's been nice that all the terrain is finally open. All things considered it's been skiing pretty well, though it probably wasn't the right year for new skis, plenty of rocks out there still.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230103_180441327.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	441303

I'm here for the rest of the season, hit me up if anyone wants to go out for a rip.

Nice! I'm heading up to Nakusp for Steep Shots in 2 weeks, getting stoked.
    I'm planning on riding RED on the 19th, my first time there. If anyone wants to go out, it be great to meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    Despite the fact that it's apparently the worst snow year since RMR opened and our snowpack is a "Rockies Simulator", it's been nice that all the terrain is finally open. All things considered it's been skiing pretty well, though it probably wasn't the right year for new skis, plenty of rocks out there still.

I'm here for the rest of the season, hit me up if anyone wants to go out for a rip.
    Thanks for the intel, keep us posted on updates please. Will be there Jan 30-31 with a buddy maybe we can hook up and you can show us what you've found. Been to Revy a couple times before but I have this tendency of getting a little cliffed-out in the bowl which is kind of annoying. Would be nice to venture off the beaten path without that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I'm planning on riding RED on the 19th, my first time there. If anyone wants to go out, it be great to meet up.
    By "Steep Shots" in Nakusp, I assume you are staying at CMH K2 Rotor Lodge in Nakusp. If you have never stayed there before, keep in mind that it is not a fancy luxurious place. When I was there a few years ago (not for Steep Shots) the food was ok but nothing special.

That works for me. I'm there for the snow, not the sushi.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post

I'm here for the rest of the season, hit me up if anyone wants to go out rip.

Feel very fortunate to have been at the top of Stoke, on the only day I've ever skied there, 12/27/22. The patroller dropped the rope to Separate Reality Bowl right in front of me. (I think that's what it is called). Fresh tracks of wind deposited goodness. Twice. The trees and soft bumps were great too. Ripper chair... not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Some operations around Nakusp are reporting 165cms + at 1900m which is not too bad at all. More snow towards the Monashees end W then to the Purcells end E but it's better than we had expected. You'll have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Thanks for the intel, keep us posted on updates please. Will be there Jan 30-31 with a buddy maybe we can hook up and you can show us what you've found. Been to Revy a couple times before but I have this tendency of getting a little cliffed-out in the bowl which is kind of annoying. Would be nice to venture off the beaten path without that happening.
    Hope some of this helps https://snowbrains.com/revelstoke-mo...eps-and-deeps/

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Sounds good, hit me up when you make it out. Sneaky cliffs and flat landings are the RMR special!

Great last couple weeks at ww though time for more snow.

Holidays were almost disconcertingly slow... ride on the lift on what.s usually the busiest days of the year. I mean i.ll take it but hope the hill was ok with it. I heard the lodge was busy.

How were the holiday crowds elsewhere?

Fairly quiet at RMR - seems as busy now as it was over the holidays proper. People clear out early, afternoons are ride on lifts, but there's a bit of a lineup in the mid morning. Lots of new skiiers out on the hills, groomers can be a bit treacherous to navigate.

Empty at Red. Most locals only come out for powder days.

Hi, I'm headed out to Golden Bc and I will have some full days to from the 21st to 24th to explore resorts and/or backcountry. Due to the touchy snowpack, I'd prefer to hire a guide to navigate the Backcountry. Can the locals recommend a list of guiding companies to check it out? I know its short notice, so some may already be booked.
    Thanks.

Hi, I'm headed out to Golden Bc and I will have some full days to from the 21st to 24th to explore resorts and/or backcountry. Due to the touchy snowpack, I'd prefer to hire a guide to navigate the Backcountry. Can the locals recommend a list of guiding companies to check it out? I know its short notice, so some may already be booked.
    Thanks.
    Aaron Enns is the man you seek. Many other very qualified individuals if he is booked.

https://aaronennsartandguiding.com/

Alex Geary is in revelstoke, and held in pretty high regard.

https://gearysguiding.com/

I noticed on his instagram he has space available between Jan 20th and 27th.

I’m sure Alex is a excellent ski guide but I would not hire a guide from the other side of the pass if your staying in Golden. The highway closes often and could fuck all plans up.

Thanks.
    Kyle and/or Amelie out of https://www.goldenpowderguiding.com/

Thanks.
    Second the suggestion above for Aaron.

Kyle and Amelie would actually be at https://bcmountainguides.ca/. Also recommended.

I'm just coming out of a guiding shift on the 21st, but could potentially get out with you for a couple days after that, if you don't have any luck finding someone for your whole trip. Otherwise feel free to PM me for more suggestions, etc.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Second the suggestion above for Aaron.

Kyle and Amelie would actually be at https://bcmountainguides.ca/. Also recommended.

I'm just coming out of a guiding shift on the 21st, but could potentially get out with you for a couple days after that, if you don't have any luck finding someone for your whole trip. Otherwise feel free to PM me for more suggestions, etc.
    Thanks. Will do. Aaron looks like he is available and I reached out to him. If it falls through, I'll PM you.