Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Grew up in Les Contamines, it warms my heart to hear 3 mags talk about it fondly. I spent a lot of my childhood being mocked by kids from Cham cause they were from the bigger more badass valley. Kids from Megeve would give us Contaminards shit cause they were from a place with money while we lived at the end of a small valley full of nothing but cows. It wasn't until I moved here than I realized how incredibly rad a mom-and-pop resort in the Alps actually is. I always got a chuckle when in line at Alta or the Bird when bros would spray about being locals at the best and gnarliest resorts in the world, or wax poetic about the massive terrain they got to ski. Perspective is a funny thing...
    I'd love to spend a few months, or a few years, in your childhood valley. Will you run that by your parents and see how they feel about a stranger staying with them?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I'd love to spend a few months, or a few years, in your childhood valley. Will you run that by your parents and see how they feel about a stranger staying with them?
    They'll let you stay.....but......Only if you spray about the cool times you skied alta when the LCC road was closed and ran over some loser tourist on the high T to ski 300m of vertical at the gnarliest Skiers only resort in the world
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Never skied at Les Contamines but spent our first night on the Tour du Mont Blanc there at Hotel Gai Soleil with an excellent dinner and buffet breakfast. We left town on an old Roman road through the beautiful rocky gorge of the Bon Nant ("Good Stream" I think).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 from our window.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	433072
    from the hotel window

Name:	14 natural bridge.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	433074
    natural bridge

Name:	15 Roman bridge.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	433075
    a Roman one

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    They'll let you stay.....but......Only if you spray about the cool times you skied alta when the LCC road was closed and ran over some loser tourist on the high T to ski 300m of vertical at the gnarliest Skiers only resort in the world
    Alta is the new Mammoth?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Yeah, Cham is all that and a bag of chips, but the older I get, the more I believe that the places away from the bright lights and glamour are more fun.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Alta is the new Mammoth?
    Nothing is like Mammoth.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Nothing is like Mammoth.
    I've been told that Jackson is the ski center of the universe.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Yeah, Cham is all that and a bag of chips, but the older I get, the more I believe that the places away from the bright lights and glamour are more fun.
    I don't like crowds any more. Standing in lines for a large percentage of a ski day is super lame.

That reminds me of all the lines we stood in at Andermatt/Sedrun. What a bummer.......
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Funny thing, a buddy of mine recently moved to Switzerland for work and I sent him over to my parents' to pick up some of the climbing guidebooks I left there. He ended up hanging out with them for the day, getting fed, and now has a standing invitation for ski weekends whenever he feels like it.
    I'm sure they'd be happy to house another dirtbag!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Never skied at Les Contamines but spent our first night on the Tour du Mont Blanc there at Hotel Gai Soleil with an excellent dinner and buffet breakfast. We left town on an old Roman road through the beautiful rocky gorge of the Bon Nant ("Good Stream" I think).
    Gai Soleil is closed now, it was owned by a buddy's parents, they retired not long ago. Nice pics of the Bon Nant, you're correct on the translation.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Funny thing, a buddy of mine recently moved to Switzerland for work and I sent him over to my parents' to pick up some of the climbing guidebooks I left there. He ended up hanging out with them for the day, getting fed, and now has a standing invitation for ski weekends whenever he feels like it.
    I'm sure they'd be happy to house another dirtbag!

Gai Soleil is closed now, it was owned by a buddy's parents, they retired not long ago. Nice pics of the Bon Nant, you're correct on the translation.
    I don't remember much about the owners except that they were super friendly. I think we were the only people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    ...Zermatt...
    Can't speak highly enough of this too, but I stayed in Cervinia on the Italian side. Heck of a lot cheaper, less crowded, take the lifts over into Zermatt for the day, have some rosti and sausage for lunch, and then ski 19 miles back down to the town and lodging and Italian for dinner.

Name:	IMG_4982.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	433945

Name:	IMG_5128.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	433948

Name:	IMG_5056.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	433949

Name:	IMG_5158.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	889.8 KB 
ID:	433950
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
    Le Grande Montets is a dream resort and manageable as a resort skier.

If you want to experience the other side of Chamonix, a guide is mandatory for someone of your (and my) abilities.

Verbier is amazing, but following random tracks will still put you into deadly exposure.

Go for it, have fun and use your brain! Experience of a lifetime.
    Well I bought a plane ticket to Paris with still not a great idea of what exactly I'll be doing, but I'm going for it. I think the plan is still to hang out in the valley for a few weeks and try to get a feel for things. I'm sure I'll figure out what to do (I have friends there, at least 7 free days of skiing there thanks to the Ikon overlords, and not a strong desire to die in a crevasse). I think it'll be an experience at the very least!

Bumping this up - my friends in Servoz say they've gotten virtually no snow. How long do I wait until I audible this trip into a southern France mountain bike adventure?

Bump. Got some stupid cheap tickets to Amsterdam in February and figured I better hop down to Cham for some turns. Psyched!

Will prob make some intermediate turns with the gf for a bit and then will hopefully hit some gnar on my own or with a guide while she's in the spa.

Any current beta is appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Any particular questions?

I really think Cham is piss poor for intermediate pistes. Courmayer is much better. Cham is for getting rad, every thing else is a bit B-...but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Any particular questions?

I really think Cham is piss poor for intermediate pistes. Courmayer is much better. Cham is for getting rad, every thing else is a bit B-...but that's just my opinion.

No specifics questions really. Mostly want to go for the history and to gape at the scenery while hopefully sliding on some soft snow. I've already gotten way more rad than I probably should've, in years past. lol

Some food recs and other non-skiing activities that would be hard to find on the internets would be helpful.

Grands Montets is still not running. For some that's immaterial, but for me it's a no go.

The official TRG contact in Cham is Idris who's been patrolling down valley, but knows the Midi well.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If the Chinese restaurant is still open, avoid it.
    Chamonix is easier to get to for a short trip than Courmayeur. Spectacular scenery either place.
    Plenty of intermediate skiing in Chamonix--Brevent, Flegere, Le Houce, La Balme. And none of those areas have glaciers so no crevasses to worry about off piste. If you decide to do the Valle Blanche use a guide. We've used the official guide company a few times--rates are good but you may or may not be compatible with the rest of the group in terms of ability, or perhaps you can pay a private guide in bitcoin.

I think the Mountaineers Museum is closed this winter. I think you may be a bit underwhelmed.

There is little culture in town. The food is generally not that good. Driving sucks.

I love the place but I'm not sure it is what you are looking for.

There are some wonderful groomers on the backside of the Aiguille that aren't on any maps but are very scenic.

Foggy is right about Courmayeur being a better choice for your needs and that the food in Chamonix does mostly suck, for France.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

What do you guys have against raclette?
    I would agree that the food in Courmayeur is vastly superior.
    But the food in Chamonix is vastly superior to American ski town food.
    Tell me about a ski town with culture, beside Taos if you stay in town.

In a museum (don’t think mountaineers?) there was a cool, massive, old, mapping machine that was kinda random. There was definitely much better food elsewhere in France, but oddly, there was a decent Sunday lunch at some place mostly attended by French. Expectations depend on your budget and how much you’ve been spending are willing to spend.

Thanks all, good stuff. I've been fortunate enough to shred deep pow all over the Western US, AK, and Chile, but I've never skied in Europe. Mostly just looking to see Cham for the historical appreciation and beauty, as well as get some good R&R in. If I happen to get some good turns in too, that's a plus.

I'm ok with earning turns at the top of Les Grands if it means softer snow.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Thanks all, good stuff. I've been fortunate enough to shred deep pow all over the Western US, AK, and Chile, but I've never skied in Europe. Mostly just looking to see Cham for the historical appreciation and beauty, as well as get some good R&R in. If I happen to get some good turns in too, that's a plus.

I'm ok with earning turns at the top of Les Grands if it means softer snow.
    the bus takes 25 mins to get from Cham to Courmayeur through the Mont Blanc Tunnel. Youd be doing yourself a disservice to not check that area out on a couple day trips.