Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Any TGRers spent significant time living away from mountains?

Long story short I'm considering the move to Chicago. I love the city, the feel, the culture, the people, and have family and friends there and work would be more interesting. The biggest downside would be far away from mountains. In the summer I'm not worried as there's the lake and I enjoy running. The winters without skiing sound tough with no mountains nearby and I don't want depend on eating and drinking all winter for entertainment. My strategy for surviving the winters would be to take 2x weekish long trips to the northwest to ski and see family/friends. So for TGRers that have lived away from the mountains with occasional trips, do you feel the mountain itch satisfied enough and satisfied by city/other offerings or couldn't wait to live near the mountains again? I realize everyone is different but I'm curious to hear some anecdotal experiences.

PM Digitaldeath
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Went to school away from mountains and, more importantly rivers at that time, for 5 years. Always felt something was missing in my life during that stint, but still had a blast.

If you can get past fomo, then the occasional vacation will help and maybe suffice. It is a state of mind.

You'll make the most of it.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

There are people who post here that don’t live in a quaint mountain town where they ski 200 days a year in between banging their hot significant other? Unpossible

Learn to skate if you don't already know how. Play hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Northbrook has amazing curling.

And don’t forget Alpine Valley. 210 feet of sick gnar skiing.

yer gonna die
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Will your expendable income go up enough to be able to do a 1x storm chase/season and a 1x rec ski trip/season?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I wanna leave I'm over it hate this town tourists suck d bags who just moved here suck it all sucks but im sucked in deep no matter how hard I want to leave I can't who could function in the real world? Sounds painful

Friday nite goto the bar free shots 2 Oz of weed 100 bucks filthy rich people spending g money pretty house in town. breckenridge eights who are real world fives ready to bang give this shit up it'd be painful

Was hoping to go skiing later today but this storm is a bust we all have problems to overcome

I wouldn't sweat it sweetheart. Chicago is a wonderful town. I grew up on the North side before I moved to Minnesota and we go back every so often to visit the family. Andrew likes to call Chicago his second home. You'll want to stay away from the South side and parts of the West side, but if you can't, learn some knife skills. If you can, maybe get a place up in Lake Forest or Vernon Hills. They have the most tasty little bundt cakes at Nothing Bundt Cakes--I could eat those all day. As you may know the deep dish pizza is to die for and will make you forget all about that crap that passes for pizza in the mountains.

^Well, look who showed up. Nice to have you back m'am.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Bet your bottom dollar you'll lose the blues in Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Potential hookups with DDs mom.

Go4it..
    watch out for snakes

You can get to just about anywhere with a direct flight from Chicago. IMO it's a great spot for the skier who must live away from mountains. And Mt. Bohemia is only 7 hours away!

I've never lived in the mountains full time. It's typically been a 2-4 hour drive one way for us, and it's taken 12 years to purchase a piece of property ON the mountain so we don't have to do that. We aren't going to live there full time but its still a 5 hour drive to get there.

It's about priorities. The winters in Chicago are BRUTAL and the wind off the lake just slices through you. So just prioritize the weekends and days off to hit the slopes or get a skin track in. I actually changed jobs primarily to remote so I can spend more time during the weekdays in the mountains as opposed to weekends only.

Bring your gat and get your thug on running packs w the homies son.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Bring your gat and get your thug on running packs w the homies son.
    You will always be a douche bag, always.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeaths mom View Post
    …You'll want to stay away from the South side and parts of the West side, but if you can't, learn some knife skills...
    In other words, bring a knife to a gun fight?

P&C <3 the 3" Italian Beef

Yes, I spent significant time away…..12 years. It wasn’t awful but it wasn’t easy. As of August I am back in the mountains full time. Part of me wishes I never left, the other part of me is glad I did. Never would have met my wife if I didn’t leave. So what’s the answer…..I don’t fucking know. You do what you got to do when you got to do it and that’s the right decision right at that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    You will always be a douche bag, always.
    I take it your humor was not turned on this morning?

When you skied LCC, was it amazing?as compared to Londonderry?

Kind regards.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Long story short I'm considering the move to Chicago. I love the city, the feel, the culture, the people, and have family and friends there and work would be more interesting. The biggest downside would be far away from mountains. In the summer I'm not worried as there's the lake and I enjoy running. The winters without skiing sound tough with no mountains nearby and I don't want depend on eating and drinking all winter for entertainment. My strategy for surviving the winters would be to take 2x weekish long trips to the northwest to ski and see family/friends. So for TGRers that have lived away from the mountains with occasional trips, do you feel the mountain itch satisfied enough and satisfied by city/other offerings or couldn't wait to live near the mountains again? I realize everyone is different but I'm curious to hear some anecdotal experiences.
    I've been there and am there, in a way, now. I know some local mags will argue with me on this front, but currently, in Portland, I feel out of the mountains.

Allow me to explain.

Growing up in the PNWet where the mountains seemed a forever distance away, I couldn't wait to get out and live in and among the mountains. I did that in Bozeman for twenty years. It was paradise. I loved it. I was living my dream, or better yet; the TGR dream. Fuck, I loved it.

Then, I got complacent. And bored. And yearned for bigger cities. I was traveling frequently for work and had regular trips to the Twin Cities, Denver, San Francisco, LA, and others. That had me longing to be in a bigger, more colorful, cosmopolitan city. I found reasons to like where I wanted to be and not like where I was in Bozeman. Bad mistake.

in 2015, the wife and I pulled up stakes and returned to a region where we both grew up; the greater Portland area. It was great at first. Amazing new restaurants, and a seemingly unending list of breweries to try. concerts, live music... did I mention the restaurants? It was a super cool experience. Then the shine wore off and slowly, I felt something missing. I wasn't mountain biking or skiing three times a week. I couldn't see the mountains from any spot in town. There were no quick trips to the hill to ski for a few hours or a lunchtime pedal. Everything was an hour+ drive to something resembling the solitude of the mountains. Even then, traffic made that an optimistic endeavor.

It picked at me.

Skiing is never the same. The lines are longer, the traffic is worse, and the snow isn't nearly as good. It's a rat race. And the PNWet is fucking awful. I grew up in this shit and thought that moving back, should be no problem. I was so, so wrong.

The wife and I are now stuck here. With her job, the related pension, and her family; we're locked in.

I've filled that hole of being out of a mountain town with a much longer motorcycling season, including dirt bikes. It helps. I take two or three ski trips a season. It helps. I try to take days off during the week to ski. It helps if it works out, but lots are parking out an hour before the lifts spin.

So now, it's more restaurants, nights out with friends, live shows, sports, and generally enjoying what living in a bigger city has to offer.

But it's never the same, no matter what you tell yourself. Remember that. If you're ok with that - really ok with that - Chicago should be fine.

The summer scene in Chicago is awesome.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    This has been my formula (it's as much fun as you can have without skiing, and it's definitely been the best thing I've found to keep you somewhat in skiing shape). Several decades since I really lived in the mountains (although in the winter I do spend more time living up there than I do in the City). I guess the way to look at it is that you can always move back if being in a city doesn't work.

Definitely a bit of a grass is always greener thing. When I was younger there were times when I desperately wanted to live out west or in the Alps, but when I did live in a mountain town there were aspects of it that I found annoying (to the point that I might have started hating being there at some point).
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Yes, I spent significant time away…..12 years. It wasn’t awful but it wasn’t easy. As of August I am back in the mountains full time. Part of me wishes I never left, the other part of me is glad I did. Never would have met my wife if I didn’t leave. So what’s the answer…..I don’t fucking know. You do what you got to do when you got to do it and that’s the right decision right at that moment.
    ^^^^^ this, IMO. I've occasionally thought about 'what ifs' (what if I'd gone to college in a mountain town, lived for longer in a mountain town, etc.) but of course it's pointless and you'll either be happy or not regardless of where you live, to some extent.
    [quote][//quote]